Hybrid View

Thumbs up Colo Suggestions...

Hello All,

We're thinking about trying out a colo rack somewhere in Chicago to complement our other two locations. Any suggestions?

We've been talking to servercentral and steadfast...any comments on them in particular?

:::::: This is not a solicitation for offers, etc...so please don't PM or email me with offers...much appreciated ::::

Thanks and best regards,
    David Wieland - tantusnetworks.com
    TheBannerExchange.net
    WebmasterDebate.com

Both servercentral and steadfast would be great choices for Chicago colo or dedicated servers.

I was researching colo services in chicago as well for a east coast presence and those were my top 2 picks as well.
    Last edited by sshepherd; 05-25-2005 at 02:49 AM.

servercentral is top notch. is able to do a few more things than a steadfast can (true 24x7, office in the facility, scale with equinix, size of network, etc). not a knock on the latter.

Re: Colo Suggestions...

Originally posted by dwieland
    Hello All,

We're thinking about trying out a colo rack somewhere in Chicago to complement our other two locations. Any suggestions?

We've been talking to servercentral and steadfast...any comments on them in particular?

:::::: This is not a solicitation for offers, etc...so please don't PM or email me with offers...much appreciated ::::

Thanks and best regards,
    Karl from Steadfast Networks is a very active WHT member and I believe he will be very easy to reach. As far as the network, the ping and traceroute for both companies are below 40ms, which is great.
    Reyner Natahamidjaja
    :: Global IP Networks - Tier 3 Data Center and Managed IT Solutions
    :: SSAE 16 SOC-2, PCI and HIPAA Compliant
    :: https://gipnetworks.com

dwieland,

My experiences with steadfast have been nothing but the best!
    Karl and his team are quick and responsive and reasonably priced.

Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread. Karl, it's great to know that you'll have 24.7 support on-site soon. That was definitely a determining factor.

Karl, this is primarily directed to you, but what would you say makes steadfast better than servercentral. And to everyone else, let me pose that and the opposite of that question....

Thanks,
    David Wieland - tantusnetworks.com
    TheBannerExchange.net
    WebmasterDebate.com

Servercentral's bandwidth is pretty pricey based on their listed rates, that'd be my only complaint.

Yes, Karl is very active member here and easy to reach him. You can ask any questions you want and he is happy to help you out.

Good Luck.
    WebHostingChat Where you Discuss & Chat about webhosting.
    DatacenterTalk DataCenterTalk.com (DCT) is a leading resources site for the Data Center community.

Bandwidth

You always pay for what you get with bandwidth, I dont understand why people want to skimp on the most important part of access to end users. I give our network maps and upstream providers out so that they can see what they are getting. When I ask them to compare to other providers the others ones can't even provide those details.

Is this something that other providers give their customers? I have done this at the 6 different hosting providers I have worked at.

Sean
    crisper

I think most hosting companies tell who their upstream providers are to their potential clients.
    Jeffrey Nikoletich
    Xfernet - http://www.xfernet.com

Originally posted by KarlZimmer
    Now for my side.

We are a smaller company, this I feel is an advantage in the higher level of personal support we provide. If you contact us a lot you will likely get to know our staff and our staff will get to know you.
    I personally think this is a very strong advantage. There is nothing like calling into your service provider and having them actually know who you are. Being just a number in a client database isn't all that great. That personal touch on service is what IMO puts Karl and SteadFastNetworks over servercentral.
    SeeksAdmin .:. Linux & Windows Server Management
    24/7 Coverage | 30 Day Guarantee | Fast Response Times
    Quality Outsourced Customer Support Services
    █ Drop Me A Line For Special Offers

I personally like being a small company. I feel more in touch with my clients.
    Jeffrey Nikoletich
    Xfernet - http://www.xfernet.com

What we do is assign project managers to each of our customers. They have one single contact for all higher level issues and then a 24x7 NOC for normal support. We make sure our project managers only have a certain amount of accounts in order to be able to handle the large customers and the small customers equally. This seems to work well and gives that "personal" touch that a small business can offer even though we are only about 100 employees so that would classify us as medium I guess.

Sean
    crisper

I too agree with Steadfast Networks. Top knotch company to work with.
    █ Brian Wing | RackmountsEtc™
    www.rackmountsetc.com - sales@rackmountsetc.com - 619-258-0573
    █ Custom built rackmount server systems from Atom to Sandybridge
    █ Custom Server Solutions to suit your needs™

I don't think you could go wrong with either Steadfast or ServerCentral.

Karl said it himself, they both have diffrent strategies. Pick which best suits you.

In the last few months, my company also made a choice between Server Central and Steadfast Networks. They were both very helpful and flexible when it came to price and flexibility. Both networks are great, and as many have said, it really comes down to the size of the company. Server Central is definitely larger, but we have had no problem with that – we have our own sales representative and the company still has that personal touch. Steadfast, on the other hand, is growing quickly and seems to be going in a great direction. Since the time we were comparing, they have started to offer several new services. If I were making this decision today, I would still go with Server Central, but Steadfast will definitely be a great company to keep an eye on in the next year or two.