Windows VPS compare list?

does anyone can create one,

I am looking for a Windows VPS, at least:

1G space
    70-100G Bandwidth
    support ASP,ASP.NET, PHP,CGI,Perl,Ms Access
    Unlimited Domains, subdomains, FPT, Mail etc

price under $40 (US dollar)

i have this 2 in my mind, which one is best?

http://www.dinix.com
    http://www.burst.net
    http://www.maximumasp.com, this one too expensive.i can't afford it~~~

powervps is not support windows operating system

I forgot to put this one in my list http://kaveyhosting.com

currently i host my forum with discountasp.net. my forum usually only have 5-20 people online. i have used nearly 15GB bandwidth, oh my god, ~~~so much. i am thinking of upgrade to VPS now~~~~

Total Bandwidth Usage for selected month : 14572.10 MB
    Current Bandwidth Quota : 16384 MB

Are you sure that VPS is the way you want to go? You will need to setup your Windows VPS box, and keep it secured. Also if you wanted a Control Panel, those usually cost extra. Keep in mind, that some VPS companies charge extra for a windows VPS.

What it sounds like, is you're looking for a shared hosting solution. I have used liquidsix before and have liked their services. Although they dont meet your bandwidth requirement for your price, you can always ask them for a quote.

Ryan
    FXH, Inc :: Web Hosting, Web Design, rsync and R1Soft Backup Solutions, and more!

dinx and webhostplus are the same company. We colo with webhostplus with no complaints.

sc

i just need more bandwidth~and reliable hosting

powerVPS is not support windows OS..

You know it doesnt matter what provider you have, it really matters about the hardware. All these complaints about VPS's can easily be solved. I have been manageing various VPS plateforms and i know a couple things, vps's are no good on ide drives end of story. Raided sata drives are a step up. but the best is raided scsi or san storage. This about it, 40 people trying to access the sames drives at once as well as there users. I have seen hard drives die pretty quickly. So ask your hoster what is the hardware setup they use.

Here is dinix.com windows VPS, how do you think?????

Windows 2003 VPS 100
    only $24.94/month

TECHNICAL DETAILS :

5Gb hard Drive Space
    75 Gb of premium bandwidth
    Terminal Server Access
    Free Plesk
    4 GB Max RAM
    2 Ips included

below is what i saw in dinix.com's member forum:

"purchased vps100 2days back untill now no reply except billing ( fast processing billing only ) opend tickets but no reply to them also "

not very good service~~

I'm waiting for my win vps up with dinix too. It's now 12 hours since I ordered. I got an email from their representative asking to verify my phone hours ago. I'm doubt why they charge the service immediately even the vps isn't up yet?

Anyway, let's wait n see how fast they can setup a vps.

Dinix? NO!!!

Dinix had a vey major screwup awhile back, my VPS is still not working correctly - trouble tickets go unanswered for days, email often down or not working properly, DNS issues. The list goes on.

Do a search for Dinix here and you will see there are alot of unhappy ex-dinix users who have moved after losing alot of time and money.
    Last edited by rfontaine; 06-15-2005 at 10:11 AM.

Hmm... Have done a search and found many complains like you've said. Good thing that you inform me about this. Anyway, I will make a 1 month trial use of the Dinix's vps, and see if they really suck.

Now I think, Leonid Gudovich is the only staff who sits in both Billing and Sale Departments.

My vps has been setup a few minutes ago. Pretty good connection even to se-asian country!

I'm interested in a Windows VPS just to mess around with (used to Linux server-side). Any suggestions? Don't need much bandwidth, or space for that matter.
    xeet.com search - coming soon!

Hi!
    Well..so far..ezzi.net is the only one that has actually delivered on a promise...and a free trial at that. Add Spry.com to the list now...thankful they decided not to build the VPS (for whatever reason)
    but had the decentcy not to take the money out of the account.

Find ezzi.net's thread in the VPS forum...it's something new for them...and they're giving free trials. The downside is the VPS only has 1GB space...and yes...that does not include the OS files..which take up quite a bit of that...limited it's use terribly.

Burst? Well...they can't seem to deliver either...one of my clients tried to get one...and five days later...nothing. This is unreal.

Dinux/Webhostplus? Oh. Lovely company. They don't answer their phones...they don't answer emails...and...of course...the service is deplorable...that is even mentioned in this thread.

Kaveyhosting seems nice...but...they are nothing more than a reseller for dinux/webhostplus. I guarantee when things go south...it's just going to be another round of excuses and more promises they cannot keep.

Is there anybody else out there...that can actually deliver a Windows VPS from a company that can answer their phone and emails....and deliver at a reasonable price? I'm running out of patience for this...this is just too much.

Bryon

After one day evaluation of VPS at dinix, I notice many downsides which are not told before you buy. First, it is impossible to use third-party remote access software other than microsoft remote desktop, because users are not allowed to logon interactively. Second, the built-in firewall + remote access and routing services are disabled permanently, and I don't know I can install third-party firewall or not.

So how can I secure my VPS anyway if I'm not allowed to do many things with VPS? After all, I decided to move to dedicated box instead next month.

Bryon,

Hopefully your server provisioning issues have been taken care of. We appreciate your patcience and apologize for the confusion!

Regards,

Spry
    Spry Virtual Server/VPS Hosting
    Linux Dedicated Resource Virtual Servers, Virtual Private Servers, WHM / cPanel Licensing
    VPSLink Cheap VPS XEN and OpenVZ
    CentOS, Fedora, Gentoo, Debian, Ubuntu, Slackware, cPanel, DirectAdmin, HostInABox, LAMP, Ruby pre-installed

Hi!
    Yes. Finally! Oay. Installing service pack 1 and Plesk shortly.
    Well...one thing is definite: I'm going to have a talk with theplanet tonight about the possibility of getting a box with Virtuozzo licenses on it. I cringe at the thought of trying to deal with sw-soft directly...so theplanet is the only option I'm aware of at this point.

Thanks,

Bryon

Quote Originally Posted by xeet.com
    I'm interested in a Windows VPS just to mess around with (used to Linux server-side). Any suggestions? Don't need much bandwidth, or space for that matter.
    If you want to play with vps only, dinix.com is a good choice for 20 bucks a month.

Hi!

Who knows? Maybe ezzi.net can become a major player in this...they seem to have no problem making promises they can keep.

Well..almost. Telling a customer that they have 1GB storage when they don't..because of the OS files...well...I think they can learn that is a no-no. Plesk did not appreciate the storage situation with that..and..of course...was clearly not amused. Needless to say...neither was I...but that was expected. Par the course, it seems.

OK...SP1 is installing. Now...the next adventure is figuring why Baseline Security Analyzer can't access the registry. Hmmm.
    Again...another first. Ah! Another challenge!

Well. One thing is certain-these 27 hour workdays is killin me!

Bryon

HI!
    Well...this is the last straw with Spry.com. They have shown themselves to be totally incapable of doing anything right...thankfully...this includes the inability to even correctly process a checkcard number...which they cannot do now at all.

Unbelievable. I spent a heck of a lot of this day begging with them to do their job...and get this VPS setup so I could actually start using it.
    It worked fine until I applied SP1...and it now toast again...completely blank desktop...which probably is because it was hacked. Of course, I expected this to be done...because anybody with lick of sense knows that a Windows server has a life expectancy these days (unpatched) of about thirty minutes.

According their website...they do this for you...so...before I passed out (literally) I had it download Plesk instead...thinking they had done what they said they were going to do. Of course,,,this was wrong. Their ticket system doesn't even work...I can't submit a ticket. I never received a welcome email. I can't remote reboot the server like I suppose to able to. I'm through with them.

I have had no problems...other than the space problem...with the ezzi.net free trail VPS server. They had applied SP1 themselves.

I give up. I will learn Win 2003 and Plesk as best I can from here locally. I am through with the find a vps project. This is just too much to deal with...and too much trouble.

>>>Well, well. One ticket request (out of about six) did get through to a human after all. Surprise! Oh...I wasn't suppose to apply the patch. Brilliant, guys. Ummm...maybe it's me...but it it was truly patched...might you *TELL* me it was...it doesn't show up in the "system" dialog...as it normally does. Of course...do i expect anything to be "normal" with these folks???? Nope.

Bryon
    Last edited by bryonhost1; 06-17-2005 at 01:02 AM.

Hi!
    Well. They were able to get paid and they did fix it...after a very long time. I have been warned about trying to Plesk on it...so I won't.

I just don't understand how their VPS's could be so different. They are, though. You cannot run Windows update. I'm not sure if you can dabble with Windows firewall...because...the system doesn't even acknowledge service pack 1 being applied. It turns out the remote reboot feature is something they're adding now...not something it has right now.

The person I talked with yesterday was very reasonable. I will endeavor to reason with him and see what can be done. I am far from pleased with this...but will try to be reasonable.

Bottom line is this: This is not the kind of VPS you want to get to learn Windows 2003 at all. It does not simulate the real thing very well...and after messing it up once...i am afraid of what else might mess it up. Knowing what I know now...you must discuss what you plan on using the VPS for...exactly...because just because it's Virtuozzo...does not mean they are anything alike at all.

Bryon

Virtuozzo for Windows (and for Linux?) sucks! SW-Soft lies all the time. They say their VPS is like real dedicated environment, but in fact it is still a shared environment, in which the users cannot update the shared kernel and system files. And the most irritating thing is that all Local Group Policies are overriden by the main shared OS. What is VPS for if I cannot set my own system policy and so on?

I suggest you go for a dedicated box for production server.

Hi!
    I decided on a draw. I will cancel this server..make no doubts of that. I do have 2003 on one PC here..and will have another box shortly with more horsepower I can put all the toys on...and really get down to business. Yes..I do see a dedicated box in my near future as well.

Bryon

Hi!
    Well..I have an update with the Spry situation. After my post here and a rather straight to the point email...I was given two choices:
    1) refund
    2) Upgrade to Plesk for free if I stayed.

Well...I took option #2. Only one day later...the VPS is dead. I can login to reboot it...through the power panel...but can't login to plesk or remote desktop. I did login to the other two Windows VPS's...just to make sure the problem was not at my end. Nope.

I've replied to a old ticket...I can't figure out if it was that or a straight email to the ticket system that did get through to them.
    Kind to think of it...let me try the email option.

I figured I'd give them one more chance to get this right. It seems that was a iffy thing.

I'll keep you updated as the saga continues. Darn it...I really need a working VPS with the real Plesk-not the 1 domain-1 email I have here that is free. I'm going to keep trying..I guess.

Bryon

VPS has known technology limitations.  Although popular because of it's early deployment for client*nix os, it might not be the right approach for client windows servers.

Look into the technical differences between VPS (host os running patched client OS that shares host os image) and virtual machine technology (VMM - each guest os has it's own os image).

I believe that all the limitations you mention are due to the guest VPS os being forced to share the host OS and it's locked-down configuration.  With VMM approach, each guest OS (*nix or windows) truly has it's own complete operating system image which is fully configurable/available to the VPS owner.

Virtuozzo (commercial software) and Xen (open source) are most popular VPS technology.  Virtual machine technology is usually based on EMC VMWare or MS Virtual Server (originally VPC from Connectix).

Originally posted by sc0rpi0n
    After one day evaluation of VPS at dinix, I notice many downsides which are not told before you buy. First, it is impossible to use third-party remote access software other than microsoft remote desktop, because users are not allowed to logon interactively. Second, the built-in firewall + remote access and routing services are disabled permanently, and I don't know I can install third-party firewall or not.
    Voicegateway.com Web Services - High-performance Hosting & Fully Managed Servers
    Specializing in Virtual Machine Hosting with Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2, Windows SharePoint Services, Microsoft SQL Server 2005, ASP.NET 2.0 hosting and Newsletter/Mailing list services

Hi!
    It should be noted that I have not had any problems adjusting different things to suit my needs inregardless of the host config.
    For example, IE starts with that hideous "High" lockdown security that makes it almost impossible to use. I had no problem setting that to what I wanted. I have not built up enough courage yet..after several other firewall misadventures...to start playing with Windows firewall on a VPS although it does look as if they way to go is *NOT* using the config wizard and manually configuring it...which is the normal way I like configuraing firewalls anyways.

Bryon

bryonhost, try windows IPSec instead of windows firewall. Both are built in and works similarly.

Btw, does anybody know any company that host Windows in VMWare?

go with kaveyhosting, I pay $29/month with 5gb space, 3 ips + 120gb bandwidth, service is excellent too

Hi!
    Right. A reseller for Dinux..the same company that is now owned by Webhostplus that doesn't answer trouble tickets, phones or emails? No thank you.

Well...just as I thought. The VPS had likely been hacked. I saw this coming..and did a backup. I was able fix it myself. I'm sorry..I'm not going to do it every day.

Of course...not a peek from Spry support. No response at all from any email or trouble tickets..so...if or if not they got the message at all is anyone's guess....I could care less. It's refund time again..I see no reason to continue this any further.

Bryon

Hi!
    This is unreal. Ok, Spry. One more shot. I swear..if I could afford to have a dedicated box running Win and Plesk..it would already be done.

Come on Spry...Let's try it one more time.

I swear...dis iss gonna do me in, gov'na.

Bryon