MySQL DB Hosting

Does anyone know of a quality MySQL database hosting provider? I am looking to find a location for a 2gb database but don't really want the hassle of maintaining my own server.

Thanks.

PS I do not need web hosting along with it.

Hi jkhearsc,

Thats a fairly large mysql DB - this isnt really appropriate for a shared hosting environment - how concurrent connections are you talking about?

This really sounds like a VPS or dedicated requirement...

2GB is a big data base and the service quality will depend upon how much resources will it consume over the server. And this would be determined with the number of connections that will be accessing the data base as mentioned above.

If the connections are large then you will have some problem over the shared server to run this data base.

2GB is a big data base and the service quality will depend upon how much resources will it consume over the server. And this would be determined with the number of connections that will be accessing the data base as mentioned above.
    This is true.. You will also have to find a host that will upload the database for you, because there is usualy a maximum upload per upload on phpmyadmin, if you get my drift..
    fuse9 LLC
    -Support Team-
    fusing the core of the internet
    Webhosting, Reseller Hosting, Custom Plans

If it's 2Gb, i'm guessing you have some big tables....
    MySQL is only efficient up to 30,000 rows (i think), and then it slows right down.
    I think it's ok if they are all in different tables/databases.
    Maybe you could rethink how you are doing it.
    Even a dedicated box will have difficulty running a 2Gb database I would think...
    Andrew Thomas

currently we max out at about 175-200 users at peak times. It seems to sit at about 110-120 throughout most of the day.

Originally posted by jkhearsc
    currently we max out at about 175-200 users at peak times. It seems to sit at about 110-120 throughout most of the day.
    This is most certainly a dedicated requirement. Additionally, you will probably want to spend some time (or have a mysql guru) optimizing mysql for this.

mysql can easily handle this load (and alot more) - however, theres no way you can run a 2GB mysql DB with 120 consistant concurrent connections in a shared environment....

Re: MySQL DB Hosting

Originally posted by jkhearsc
    Does anyone know of a quality MySQL database hosting provider? I am looking to find a location for a 2gb database but don't really want the hassle of maintaining my own server.

Thanks.

PS I do not need web hosting along with it.
    Can't your current provider give you this ? You don't really want to have the SQL backend very far (network wise) from the front end as you'll get.

I could do this for you, but I'd not reccomend having the database much further than the same switch as your web server, the minimum would be the same datacenter so that you kept a decent speed between apps & web server.

I'm guessing a 2Gb database would run queries returning large data sets, the shifting of data over slow links would bring your app to it's knees.

I think the best way is for a dedicated box because with a database that big it would probably be a burden on the box with shared accounts.

Why dont you just get a dedicated box for mysql next to your main site that way connectivity wont slow down it will only be lan.
    Ealuco Inc.
    http://www.ealuco.com

A managed dedicated server is what you need, since you don't want the hassle of managing it youself. You would not be able to host such a large database on a shared account.

Maybe going for a VPS first might help and later on upgrading to a dedicated server when required.

I agree with WN-Ali. You need a dedicated box. A managed one. That is a huge amount of data. This would bring a shared server to its knees quickly.

- HN Mike
    ||| Mike Bowers - Marketing Director
    ||| atOmicVPS LTD
    ||| OnApp Powered Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting ► [Shared] ► [Reseller] ► [VPS]
    ||| Follow the atOmicVPS Blog

Ahh a managed one, I forgot to mention it.
    Ealuco Inc.
    http://www.ealuco.com