Looking for a good, inexpensive, reliable host

Hi gang,
    I'm trying to set up a phpBB board for a local community site. I signed up with GoDaddy's basic hosting plan, but was soon frustrated to discover that this hosting plan doesn't allow shell access or cron jobs. This is a problem since I need them in order to run the M2F mod, allow email posts and distributions lists from the forum.

So, I guess I'm looking for a new host -- someone that's inexpensive, reliable, and allows access for things like cron jobs and/or shell access. GoDaddy has this capability, of course, but requires a pricey $40-$100/month plan.

Any suggestions?

Alternatively, does anyone know of some good forum software that I could use for this purpose, without requiring cron job support? That way I could stay with GoDaddy and just change software. Any thoughts there?

Many thanks.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...36#post3110236

They have both SMF and phpBB. Very inexpensive.

i would do a search on wht you will find some great hosts

Use the host quote feature on WHT http://www.webhostingtalk.com/request.php

Or you can use the search feature http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search.php

Originally posted by webster13045
    i would do a search on wht you will find some great hosts
    Well, yes, I did search. I came up with GoDaddy, but as I mentioned, I made a mistake, since they don't have what I want. I was hoping I'd be able to tap into the experience of some webmasters out there who've already weeded out the crappy hosts.

Thanks for the suggestion, colorado. I'll check it out.

For future reference, I also need at least one MySQL db.

Re: Looking for a good, inexpensive, reliable host

Originally posted by Quimbly

So, I guess I'm looking for a new host -- someone that's inexpensive, reliable, and allows access for things like cron jobs and/or shell access. GoDaddy has this capability, of course, but requires a pricey $40-$100/month plan.

that is just crazy charging for them.

The Shared Hosting and Reseller Account Offers forum provides the latest deals offered by various hosting companies. Most of them are very affordable, however I HIGHLY encourage you to do a search on the company before you sign up with them.

Hope this helps with your search.
    ColoInSeattle - From 1U to cage space colocation in Seattle
    ServerStadium - Affordable Dedicated Servers
    Come visit our 18k sq ft. facility in Seattle!
    Managed Private Cloud | Colocation | Disaster Recovery | Dedicated Servers

lunarpages.com, site5.com, hostrocket.com, dreamhost.com, etc all have pretty good ratings on here.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Yes, there are very many hosts out there. Just browsing through these forums you see many people talking about some of the major companies. A lot of finding a web host that suites you involves looking around and just trying out their services for a month. Some small hosts may suprise you.
    DigitalIntensity
    www.digital-intensity.com
    Where your web dreams come true.

Ugh, Go Daddy ..... [shiver]

Maybe I should start (or add to the plethora of other GD threads), but how many GD refugees do you guys get a month? I bet we get at least 10-20...

I find it personally gratifying that customers that leave us because our 'prices for [our] packages are higher than Go Daddy's' almost always come back with renewed vigor for our product...

David beats Goliath (with $10mil marketing budget) again!

Good luck with your search, this is the place to look,
    David Wieland - tantusnetworks.com
    TheBannerExchange.net
    WebmasterDebate.com

Yes dwieland,
    Last month one of our old clients (been with us for last 3 years) left for godaddy because of the price and last week re-signed up. Good for them we didn't terminate his account was waiting for end of month.

Godaddy is a big company and they are overselling too (huge I mean) it is important to note that big companies donn't give person to person support that well. It is instead very normal for small companies to care about their clients from a personal view. They need you :-)

Go for a medium size company who have been for business least 2/3 years this way you can be sure their business plan is fine and they are not going to packup soon. Good luck.

Imtiaz
    Dualnic.com | Connectivity. Stability. Reliability.
    Web Hosting & Reselling Since 2003
    "Our pricing may not beat the industry giants, but our service will"

There are good hosts that participate regularly in these forums. As far as hosts I can recommend based on personal experience in using their services, I like Site5 and Lunar Pages.
    Rich
    Husband, Father, Retired Marine, Geek

I agree with DevilDog. Off the top of my head, I believe Micfo does offer shell access also, as a basic feature on all plans.
    Web Hosting Reviews — based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

yes u can check the offer section.

Try www.hostingzoom.com they have great support and are really really reliable.

Quimbly,

Quite a few hosts will have no issue meeting your requirements - just a note however: You may not necessarily need to use a cronjob to get the job done.

Most of the time it's just a .php file being called externally or via a local copy of lynx.

You could setup your home machine to call the same .php file remotely to have it run.

Actually with any cPanel hosts its pretty easy to setup cron no need for shell access :-)
    Dualnic.com | Connectivity. Stability. Reliability.
    Web Hosting & Reselling Since 2003
    "Our pricing may not beat the industry giants, but our service will"