Thread: Media Hosting

Media Hosting

Hey everyone,

I'm looking to buy a cheap, dedicated server soon to host my much demanded media. But the thing is I'm not sure how much bandwidth I'm going to need.

My media is around the size of 2GB. You think 1000GB of bandwidth would be enough for each month to host 2GB of media?

Thanks

[EDIT]

Sorry I forgot to include my average visitor count is around 9000
    Last edited by Majinbuu1500; 05-24-2005 at 05:49 PM.

This depends on how interested your visitors are in your media I suppose. If all of your visitors view all of your media one time, you're looking at

9000 x 2 = 18,000 gigs/mo

Of course that just plain won't happen, but I'd be prepared. My instincts would say that 1000 gigs probably won't do it. I would look for a more intense plan, possibly an "unmetered" machine, paying close attention to the actual bandwidth capabilities of the package.
    Corey Northcutt | Northcutt
    Competitive inbound marketing with a hosting industry competency.
    Social | Content | Optimization | Outreach

If your media size is 2GB and if it is one file, you won't get a lot of downloads - people will simply cancel out when they see (file size: 2GB, estimated download time: XX days)

I am guessing those are hundreds or thousands of audio or video files. In that case, each user won't use 2 GB. they may sample anywhere between 1% to 20% of your files. I think the average would be close to the low end - 5% means 900GB/month (assuming you meant 9000 visitors/month instead of /day).

The problem is, you have to plan for growth. In case your site gets popular, you could use 3000GB/month in 6 months (20% growth/month) easily.

Check out serverbeach
    They have excellent cheap 2000GB Bandwidth plans.

You can also check out:
    orangefiber
    For unmetered packages.

There are many more, just do a search.

visitor may be not downloader

what's your budget for server?

How about Fdcservers.net, you might need to do some research on them as I've never used them but offer unmetered

I dont think that FDC got many good recommendations here. For unmetered connection, I would go with ServerMatrix

I helped someone copy about 10Gb off an FDC server a week back (lots of little files) and it kept timing out. Really bad quality bandwidth

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon