Exclamation Hackers Holding Computer Files 'Hostage'

WASHINGTON - Computer users already anxious about viruses and identity theft have new reason to worry: Hackers have found a way to lock up the electronic documents on your computer and then demand $200 over the Internet to get them back.

Security researchers at San Diego-based Websense Inc. uncovered the unusual extortion plot when a corporate customer they would not identify fell victim to the infection, which encrypted files that included documents, photographs and spreadsheets.

A ransom note left behind included an e-mail address, and the attacker using the address later demanded $200 for the digital keys to unlock the files.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/s/ap/200...ernet_ransom_6

Always something isn't it?

the people who do this **** deserves to be thrown in the bottom of a well. I can see its always good for me to keep storing my files and burning them to a CD.
    Kerry Jones

CNN always inflates the problem.
    Nationhosts, LLC
    http://www.nationhosts.com
    "Nationwide hosting solutions"

This is great. This will teach people who DO get infected (and assuming they pay the $200) that they are VERY LUCKY that this virus doesn't DELETE their data and maybe.. JUST MAYBE will make some of these dodo's go out and actually get proper software to protect their computer.

The Internet would be a safer place w/o all the retards who don't take the time to properly secure their system.. then bitch and moan when their computer is "too slow to even download music" because it's so infested with trojans, virus and other spyware crap that they don't even care!

some new plot of hackers.. Grrrrr.... wish they all go to H***
    www.DefyStudios.com ___Interactive Design

As scams go, this one is really dumb!

Extorting money from large companies that hold sensitive customer data makes a little sense, because the companies are going to consider the ransom money worth it (if it's low enough) not to let their customers know that they've been hacked.

Private citizens have no such qualms, and will head straight for the cops. They'll follow the money trail, and the idiot who's doing this will be caught.

I really don't think we need to worry about an explosion of this type of scam!
    Gareth Cornish
    Always looking for new hosting sites
    http://www.compare-web-hosting-sites.com

The Internet would be a safer place w/o all the retards who don't take the time to properly secure their system.. then bitch and moan when their computer is "too slow to even download music" because it's so infested with trojans, virus and other spyware crap that they don't even care!
    even the best can't always keep their system 100% secure.
    Kerry Jones

Originally posted by Rob83
    I hate to say it, but I am glad that there are that many retards out there.. If everyone was able to secure their system as good as us savvy people here on WHT, these malicious hackers / script kiddies, would be better at what they did and might be able to actually learn how to penetrate the most secure systems...

Remember, you don't have to outrun the bear, just outrun the people you are with...
    Let Google know when your dead | Read More >>
    Submit Your Press Release, Article, or News Tip Today
    W3Reports - News for Webmasters

hmmm....I figure if I can do 10 docs a day, that $2000 a week

in a year thats $104,000 a year which isnt bad....wonder if they're hiring..

Originally posted by Carp
    hmmm....I figure if I can do 10 docs a day, that $2000 a week

in a year thats $104,000 a year which isnt bad....wonder if they're hiring..
    And all it will cost is being some big guy named bubba's man toy in prison. YAY...
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Kerry, burning to disk is a terrible method, wouldn't an external, or even internal drive suit you better?
    BTi-Hosting.co.uk High quality hosting, low low prices.
    One step ahead of the competition - Today IS tomorrow.
    FraudWise.Net - Fight the fraud!

I usually burn several mb of data each time, but if its small enough i'll put it on a floppy disk.
    Kerry Jones

If the internet was 100% secure, many people would have no jobs.