Thread: Web Hosts

Web Hosts

Well,
    I'm not sure if I put this in the right category, but I hope so. Anyways, what do you guys want in every web host?
    Funny Pics, Hot Chicks, and Cool Flicks!!!
    Get Opera, which is now ad-free and no licensing fee.

- Uptime 99.9 %
    - Good support
    http://www.empresasdehosting.com
    THE WEB HOSTING INDEX IN SPANISH
    http://www.empresasdehosting.net
    THE WEB HOSTING DIRECTORY IN SPANISH

And a good price to
    Portugal Networks
    Shared and Reseller cPanel Accounts. NEW! Windows 2003 with Plesk, ASP.NET 2.0 and MSSQL 2005.

1) Free Beer
    2) Free Mail Order Bride
    3) Free service
    4) 100% uptime
    5) unlimited space / bandwidth
    Webair Internet Development Inc.
    Shared Hosting Managed Dedicated Servers SEO
    1.866.WEBAIR.1 www.webair.com 24/7/365 Support Adult Friendly
    My comments do not reflect the views of the company or its management.

Originally posted by wanga
    1) Free Beer
    2) Free Mail Order Bride
    3) Free service
    4) 100% uptime
    5) unlimited space / bandwidth
    I'd buy ;P
    Cheap Reseller and Shared Hosting - Tekneeks.net
    www.tekneeks.net - affordable cpanel reseller and shared hosting
    www.graphicforge.net - community for graphic and web designers

Originally posted by liquid
    I'd buy ;P
    Same here.
    XTR Host
    www.xtrhost.com
    Providing the Best Hosting at the Cheapest Prices!

What? The price is $0.00? I'd pay 10 times that for those specs!
    Jacob - WebOnce Technologies - 30 Day 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - Over 5 Years Going Strong!
    Website Hosting, PHP4&5, RoR, MySQL 5.0, Reseller Hosting, Development, and Designs
    Powered By JAM - Professional Website Development - PHP, MySQL, JavaScript, AJAX - Projects Small & Large

Possibly you should re-word and say "Within reasonable boundaries, what would you like for a reasonable price". Every redblooded american WANTS something for nothing.
    Imeanwebhosting.com - Shared cpanel hosting, 99.9% uptime.
    10 min average ticket responses, softaculous, rvsitebuilder, and more!
    Reliable, affordable shared hosting. I Mean Web Hosting!

Anyways, what do you guys want in every web host?
    Ideally, I would like a fair and understanding host. I would in turn be a fair an understanding customer.

Originally posted by ldcdc
    Ideally, I would like a fair and understanding host. I would in turn be a fair an understanding customer.
    I know this is kind of OT, but I just had to interject because it's nice to see a solid reasonable view from someone. I'm not exactly sure if ldcdc is a host posting from the client perspective or a client, but I just had something to say to that effect.

That's actually very nice to see

A many of our clients are personal referrals from other clients who speak with me directly before signing up, and they'll ask about this, that, or the other thing, or what limits in place to prevent things from happening... and while I do explain some of what we do, I have found one thing that seems to work best and be most easily understandable.

when you purchase a shared hosting account, it's a lot like going river rafting with a lot of people, many of which you may not know, or ever even see. If you wish others to respect the boat (server), in terms of not doing things to intentionally or indirectly cause problems, you must also make sure you are not disrupting the stability as well.

Shared hosting really relies on all the customers playing nicely and respecting everyone else. Us web hosts are merely here to step in when the boat springs a leak, or one of the paddlers gets a little roudy.

Careful guidance and cultivation, with the proper communication, of your user base can go a long way.

A little more on topic, here's a little bit I remember from when we used to be resellers.

A) I expect my host to know how to properly maintain their billing system.

B) I expect my host to know how to properly maintain their servers.

C) I expect my host to know how to properly respond to support tickets. The key word in this one would be 'respond', as one of the places we were at... replaced 'respond' with 'delete'. We would submit a support request because something on the server was not working (point B) and check a few days later, and the service would still be broken AND the ticket would no longer exist. Though I expect this may have had something to do with point A, as they had stopped billing us several months earlier, responding to requests on how to pay them with such things as 'don't worry about it.' ...

They were good guys, so I will not name them, and I hope it was just us who had the experiance.

D) I expect the resources that I was promised to be there when I want them (several problems on several occasions with /usr and /var space...)

E) I expect 24x7 support to be real 24x7 support. Don't offer it if you cannot provide it. And I don't mean just having an auto responder. We want a real worker monkey on the other end of that support system, not a programmed one
    Jacob - WebOnce Technologies - 30 Day 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - Over 5 Years Going Strong!
    Website Hosting, PHP4&5, RoR, MySQL 5.0, Reseller Hosting, Development, and Designs