help: transferring from one server to another

Hi,

I have a reseller account with Cpanel which using a nameservers ns1.abc.com and ns2.abc.com, and now I want to move all my accounts to another dedicated server with different IPs, but I dont want delete my old accounts until transferring all cpanel data and user files, and then if everything will be ok, I will delete my first reseller account data. I need to do it with minimum site downtime. Thinking to make a new nameservers ns3.abc.com and ns4.abc.com, but dont know how? Or is there any other easy and safe way? Can somebody help me?

Thanks
    Last edited by MonsNet; 05-24-2005 at 02:46 PM.

MonsNet,

Best step to take:
    get the new account ahead of time.

Transfer all of the content to account2, wait 24 hours and then 'redirect' all of the account1's sites to the account2 (modify all the dns database to point to the new ip) without making any modifications to DNS server names.

Then modify the IP's of the nameservers with your registrar.

and you're good to go!
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Originally posted by HP-David
    MonsNet,

Best step to take:
    get the new account ahead of time.

Transfer all of the content to account2, wait 24 hours and then 'redirect' all of the account1's sites to the account2 (modify all the dns database to point to the new ip) without making any modifications to DNS server names.

Then modify the IP's of the nameservers with your registrar.

and you're good to go!
    May I ask why he should wait 24 hours after the actual data is transferred?

JHosts,

Depends on if he wants to modify his TTL and then wait about 24 hours instead?

86000 - (default TTL or so?) is 24 hours - correct me if I'm wrong.
    So either way hes going to need to modify the TTL - then wait 24 hours or leave the current TTL in place and wait 24 hours so that all of the caches/etc. are checking with the NEW ip rather than the old. (redirect?)

Guess you could do that *after* transferring the content/redirecting to the new IP's - but theres going to be a 24 hour wait somewhere.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

ok, but I must set up a nameservers on a new server, without them I cant add a new accounts in Cpanel

MonsNet,

You'll have to do it without the help of cPanel - i.e. manually.
    I have to run into work but will be back to help soon if someone already hasn't.
    David

You COULD just net up ns3 and ns4 on the new server (granted you have the extra IPs) and move the files over. Once thats done, just change IPs for ns1 and ns2.

This minimizes downtime.
    ServGrid - www.servgrid.com - Affordable and Reliable SSD Cloud Solutions
    Premium 10G Network, 2(N+1) Powerplant and SSD Performance
    Web, Reseller, KVM VPS, Storage and Private Cloud Hosting
    Click here to see our SSD Benchmarks!

And before you change name servers ip's, you can edit DNS zones of your sites and replace old server ip to new server ip.
    So this way your sites will be resolved to new server within few minutes even their DNS is still sitting on old one.

Originally posted by yaax
    And before you change name servers ip's, you can edit DNS zones of your sites and replace old server ip to new server ip.
    So this way your sites will be resolved to new server within few minutes even their DNS is still sitting on old one.
    I am transferring accounts from Ensim to cPanel and so far everything looks good. I have initially registered a new domain to use as name servers for the new server, and eventually will request all my clients to modify their domain's name servers to point to the new one.

But now, I'm thinking it would inconvenience them and I would just like to "transfer" my current name server to the new server.

Is it correct to do the following:

1. Add NS3.OLDSERVER_DNS1.COM (IP=Old Server NS1 IP)
    2. Add NS4.OLDSERVER_DNS2.COM (IP=Old Server NS2 IP)

(I already have NS1.NEWSERVER_DNS.COM and NS2.NEWSERVER_DNS.COM setup on the new server running with 2 new server's IPs)

3. Change IP Addresses of OLDSERVER_DNS1 and 2 at registrar to new server's IPs.

4. Delete new server's NS3 and NS4 and setup NS1 and NS2 using OLDSERVER domain and new server's IPs.

Please excuse me if I sound confusing because I'm really confused :~

Please enlighten me and Thank you.