setting up FTP service on Win Server 2003

Hello,

I just had a simple question about logging onto my FTP service through localhost. I've got Windows Server 2003, and I went through the IIS Manager to setup a Default FTP site. I'm trying to start from scratch so I deleted all existing FTP sites before I created the one I called "Default FTP". Anyway, I right clicked "FTP Sites", chose New -> FTP Site..., assigned it the 127.0.0.1 IP address and TCP port 21, chose Isolate users, selected my path to be c:\Inetpub\ftproot (which is set to shared), and checked both read and write. Then, to set my username and password, I right click on "Default FTP", chose properties, click the "Security Accounts" tab, change my username and password to what I want, leave "Allow anonymous connections" on and "Allow only anonymous connections" off, and press OK (confirming my password).

Now, if I want to connect to my FTP site, what do I do? In IE, I tried typing in "ftp://localhost/" in the URL field, but when it asks me for a user name and password, I type in what I set the username and password to, but it says I was rejected. Same thing happens when I try "ftp://127.0.0.1/". I also have Ipswitch WS_FTP Professional, and I tried to create a connection called "My Server" with the host name "localhost". When I try to logon using my username and password, again it says I was reject. Same thing happens when I try setting the host name to "127.0.0.1".

So my question is: Am I trying to connect to my FTP server in the right way?

Hi,

Have you made sure Microsoft FTP and Ipswitch are running at separate times? If they are both active at the same time, that will cause problems.

Regards,
    Matt
    Matt Midgley
    ----------------
    http://matt.midgley.name

I tried running them separately, but I still get the same problem with either one.

Hello there,

Ok, seems there is a deeper problem. First of all, if you have a network, try connecting to the server from another computer on that network. I don't think it will work though if localhost wont.

Also, it shouldn't affect internal connections but is your firewall configured properly?

Finally, if you still don't get anywhere, go into:

Add/Remove programs, Windows Components, Application Server,
    IIS and then FTP service. Remove the tick in the box to uninstall the service. Then, exit all the windows you have open (apply any changes). Do the same again and then reinstall the service. If you still have problems after this, let me know.

Regards,
    Matt Midgley
    Matt Midgley
    ----------------

I tried reinstalling IIS, but I still get the same problem. I figured out why. It seems as though whenever I try to change my password, it reverts back to the old one (I can tell by the number of characters). I don't know what the old one is since it seemed to be set already when Windows Server 2003 was installed by someone other than me.

I'm not sure how my firewall is configured (or if there is one at all). How do I check for that? On the server? On the router?

FYI, IIS makes the "******" password the same length regardless of how long your actual password is. This is done to prevent somebody from guessing your password based on the number of characters in it.

Also, I wouldn't bind the IIS FTP instance to the loopback address 127.0.0.1. If you do that the FTP server is unavailable to all machines except the local box. I'm assuming you want other users to access this server remotely, right?
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

Just read the help file. it explains very clearly.

IIS FTP is not the most intuitive. Help file is a must read.

Originally posted by gib65
    I tried reinstalling IIS, but I still get the same problem. I figured out why. It seems as though whenever I try to change my password, it reverts back to the old one (I can tell by the number of characters). I don't know what the old one is since it seemed to be set already when Windows Server 2003 was installed by someone other than me.

I'm not sure how my firewall is configured (or if there is one at all). How do I check for that? On the server? On the router?
    Hello again,

Why don't you just make a new account on the server? One with the permissions you want it to have.

You only need to check the right ports are open on your router if it is going to be accessed externally which I assume it is. On the router, make sure the FTP server port is forwarded to the right IP.

Regards,
    Matt
    Matt Midgley
    ----------------

This is exactly what you should do - (the help file + knowledge of file system permissions will get you there)

1. Add a user account - for sample, "ftpuser1" with the password you desire.
    2. Under your ftp root directory (for example, "ftproot"), create a subfolder "LocalUser", and in "LocalUser", add a folder "ftpuser1".
    3. Bring up the property sheet of folder "ftpuser1", go to the security tab, and add the user "ftpuser1" with your desired permission.
    4. Create FTP site with isolated users. Set the home directory to "ftpuser1".

That's it.