Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Kicked out by Hostgator

Hostgator suspended my account yesterday, they said I used too much resources.

After I check the log which was downloaded to my pc 10 days ago, I estimated the average total visitors of website are no more than 2000/day. I remember I checked my bandwidth yesterday before they did that, this month's bandwidth used is less than 1G/day. Hostgator said I used more than 20% of server load, but because I couldn't login after been suspended to see the actually server load, I can't verify that.

There are no forum in my website, I wrote all the php by myself, it's database driven website, I believe they are very simple php. No more than 3-4 sql query per page.

After hostgator called me and asked me to move to a dedicated server, I said I would move my website last night or this morning. However after I finished the phone, I found my account was already suspened, can't access through cpanel or ftp. Very funny, hostgator asked me to download my backup files, but I have no way to download them. After several emails, finally could download my files, but my websites have been down for 8 hours, and I am still recovering one domain.

I was using hostgator baby plan,5G disk, 75G bandwidth, 9.95/month, do I have to use a dedicated server to support 2000 visitors/day ? The only choice hostgator staff mentioned in phone is dedicated server, does that mean their swamp plan(100G bandwidth) or semi dedicated plan (500 G bandwidth) also can't support the resources I am using?

I moved my main website which receiving 1500 visitors/day from lunarpages to hostgator because the plan in lunarpages only allow me to use 40G/month, but they never told me I used too much resources, and the server load I see there is often very low.

The server I am with hostgator is very slow, they must have put in lots of accounts. You can see my previous post:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=403282

Hostgator is very unprofessional , if you want a reliable hosting company to sustain your website's growth, don't use them!

bandwidth and visitors per day have little to do with server load...
    or at least in your case...

you say you have written all your scripts yourself
    have you tested them fully on a local host to see what they consume ?

well anyway you cant just suspend an account and tell him to buy dedicated. They could have investigated at least and tell him what exactly was causing the server load. I believe they know how to do that right? suPHP might help though.

Originally posted by Aurelian
    well anyway you cant just suspend an account and tell him to buy dedicated. They could have investigated at least and tell him what exactly was causing the server load. I believe they know how to do that right? suPHP might help though.
    I guess you have not been in this business long. When a site is causing high server loads and degrading the performance of the other sites on the server then yes you can suspend the site right away.

I know it sucsk and it's hard to digest
    but I'm afraid adam is right

true adam. But shouldnt they give him some explications? Im not familiar with that cause either though.

You don't need a lot of visitors to overload a server, one poorly written script and one visitor can make it overload.
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!

coight , I agree with that, one poorly written script could crash the server

however in my case

I have moved the websites out and split them into two hosting, site5.com and hostingzoom.com

current server load:
    site5

Server Load 0.49 (4 cpus)
    Memory Used 19 %

hostingzoom

Server Load 0.29 (4 cpus)
    Memory Used 18.1 %

If my script is not good, shouldn't they consume lots of resources on the new server?

why the server load are so low now?

As I told you on the phone your shopping cart had 100's of open sql connections. The server load went very high 60+ I logged in to investigate and saw your database slamming sql with 100's of connections.

I told you everything including the shopping cart and the site with the problem. I do find it a little bit odd we determined your site to be the problem without even remembering you were the one complaining about intermittent issues. This leads me to believe the slowness may be brought on by some type of action you were doing each time? Maybe some type of update? The reason I say this is because most people would not notice slowness that only lasts a few minutes every day nor would they complain unless of course the slowness occurred every time they tried doing something on the box.

It would be very hypocritical to criticize us for correcting the problem on the server when that is what you wanted us to do to begin with. I hope you can respect us for our decision and wish you the best of luck with your new host.

Originally posted by hostgator.com
    As I told you on the phone your shopping cart had 100's of open sql connections. The server load went very high 60+ I logged in to investigate and saw your database slamming sql with 100's of connections.

I told you everything including the shopping cart and the site with the problem. I do find it a little bit odd we determined your site to be the problem without even remembering you were the one complaining about intermittent issues. This leads me to believe the slowness may be brought on by some type of action you were doing each time? Maybe some type of update? The reason I say this is because most people would not notice slowness that only lasts a few minutes every day nor would they complain unless of course the slowness occurred every time they tried doing something on the box.

It would be very hypocritical to criticize us for correcting the problem on the server when that is what you wanted us to do to begin with. I hope you can respect us for our decision and wish you the best of luck with your new host.
    Bad code leaving stale mysql's open are bad, here's a couple hints that you may find helpful:

set-variable = wait_timeout=60
    set-variable = max_user_connections=40

The go into your typical /etc/my.cnf

First one says "kill any connection after 60 seconds idle time" (or is it 60 seconds period, either way works good for me)
    Second one says "no more than 40 mysql connections per user", I have this set to 20 on some servers, but once in a blue moon 20 isn't enough and it really isn't the customer's fault but I've yet to see 40 not suffice.

I prefer to try and help someone fix their problem, even if it is their problem, than running off a customer, but sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do I know.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

Re: Kicked out by Hostgator

Originally posted by mtbl34c
    Hostgator suspended my account yesterday, they said I used too much resources.

After I check the log which was downloaded to my pc 10 days ago, I estimated the average total visitors of website are no more than 2000/day. I remember I checked my bandwidth yesterday before they did that, this month's bandwidth used is less than 1G/day. Hostgator .... called me and asked me to move to a dedicated server,....
    Isn't this the very thing (scam) hostgator warns its prospective customers to beware of from other hosting companies?

-- i just looked. they warn against companies offering UNLIMITED stuff, not actually kicking you for cpu usage. my mistake. they still could have given you a few mins to grab your stuff but maybe other ppl were complaining and they had to terminate quickly?

in any case, what's going on with your new hosting? have they found anything wrong with your sites/code? have you changed anything; what was the effect?

-- >

We did not terminate the site. We called to discuss the problem within a few minutes of it crashing the server. We told the site owner he would need semi or dedicated server for the site with the issue.

It appears he knows what the problem was so perhaps he can shed some light on what was being done each time the server slowed. If a problem is fixed we are happy to turn an account back on, if we are positive it will not happen again. We cannot turn a site back on that is having coding problems / crashing the server intermittently.

As soon as the server load goes high the instinct of the server admins drive him to stop the causing element. In the process to stabilize the server, sometime he need to suspend the account and investigate the codes on that very account to see if that was a real threat or not.

As Dixiesys has said, sometime a proper tweaking on the daemon fixes the issue.

If we think from the client perpective, he may loose valuable bizness if a important site is suspended without prior notice.

Both the Client and the Host can suffer in the situation.

I wish, here we may get some valued sugestions or procedures that can avert the situations that both the host and the clients suffers.
    ESC :wq!

honestly I don't know what was going on, and after check some php today, I found I didn't use $Conn->close in some phps, would this cause many mysql connections, could be, but I thought php would reuse the connections.

hostgator, can you compare the server load before I was kicked out and now?

when you guys called, and told me my website cause high server load, I have no reason not to believe you since you are the people who really monitor the server, so I decided to move out of hostgator last night, however before I was able to check what was wrong and download my files, my accout was suspended and I couldn't even login in , this is the main point why I am not happy about your service, that's why I said you are not professional.

Dixiesys gave an example about how to solve the mysql connection problems, I hope that works for you.

what if my php is ok, but I really got a lot of traffic, will you still suspend the account no matter how import the website to the customer?

They said it had nothing to do with the amount of traffic, but it was causing the server to crash. This was due to the high load you were putting on the mysql via open connections.

what more of an explination do you want?

Hi,

One question for hostgator,

I am a hostgator client ( reseller ) , at this moment i don`t have any problems with you... i am very happy...

Question,

If ONE domain/ client ( my client ) crash the server / high load etc etc

What do you do?

Suspend website client ?

Suspend my reseller account ? and all domain in my account ?

i can download backup after issues ?

thanks

foxmen

Hi foxmen, I am a HG reseller too. I believe they just suspend the client's website.

set-variable = wait_timeout=60 our boxes are set below 60
    set-variable = max_user_connections=40 if it was set to 40 and your site used hundreds mysql would not work for anyone on the server. (this would not be solving anything since sites would still go off-line)

I asked our head sys admin if he remembers anything regarding your site and he says he remembers it flooding out apache on multiple occasions from different ips each time. (on each occasion, he blocked them)
    It is possible your site was under attack seconds before I suspended it. The server was so slow from the high load ssh did not let me in until after suspending and restarting a few services. I went to sql usage and saw hundreds of queries from within the whm.

Based on the amount of connections I concluded your site was the cause of the high load so it was suspended and I called you.
    In our business 1 hour of downtime a month is too much and you will lose customers. If you determine a customer to be causing a lot of down time whether it is from attacks, legit traffic, poor coding or other you need to sometimes make a decision to boot them from a shared environment. We always offer a more dedicated hosting solution in these cases but due to pricing, they are not always a viable solution to the customer.

This is the most information I will be able to provide you. If you have any more questions please e-mail me.

We usually move the site to a tmp server without suspending for one week. In extreme cases we will suspend just the problem site and a full backup will be provided upon request. They will remain suspended until the problem is solved or the reseller terminates the site.

set-variable = max_user_connections=40 if it was set to 40 and your site used hundreds mysql would not work for anyone on the server. (this would not be solving anything since sites would still go off-line)

I would suggest you read the variable information in the mysql documentation. As Gary said earlier, setting the above variable will limit the USER to 40 connections, it's not a serverwide setting

The server wide variable is: set-variable = max_connections
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!

We usually move the site to a tmp server without suspending for one week. In extreme cases we will suspend just the problem site and a full backup will be provided upon request. They will remain suspended until the problem is solved or the reseller terminates the site.

This is what I am hoping for , if you could do this, I won't not have to disclose my terrible experiences in public forum

Smile ok, ok

We did not terminate the site.
    Well you stopped it from doing whatever it was doing. That's what I meant. That is was necessary for you to do right then, because the server was crashing and it's a shared environment. Act now, talk later

I think this is a very decent way of handling things. Knowing this, I definitely feel more confident about going with HG sometime in the future.

-- >

Thanks HG, i am very good for this explanation !!!

In several "post" in WHT read: HG terminate my account without talk with me ... etc etc etc i can`t download my files... etc etc

As I told you on the phone ......
    Im impressed you can recall a specific phone conversation from someone you ran into on wht. Im not being sarcastic, you must have the mind of an elephant. I on the other hand dont remember writing this post ....hehe
    Greg Landis | Director of Growth Jaguarpc - Unlock Superior Hosting with JaguarPC
    Managed Servers - Virtual Private Servers | AMD EPYC Dedicated servers
    Follow us @ Facebook.com/Jaguarpc | (888)-338-5261 | greg @ jaguarpc.com

It's happening all over again

[i]It would be very hypocritical to criticize us for correcting the problem on the server when that is what you wanted us to do to begin with. I hope you can respect us for our decision and wish you the best of luck with your new host. [/B]
    Hey, I was in the same situation with Hostgator several weeks ago and was getting the same blurred signals from them.

They didn't like two of my sites and moved them to dedicated servers as they were apparently using too much cpu/ram, or so they say.

I moved my 20 + accounts to a new host.

Strange. My new host reports no problems with the websites that Hostgator had issues with and says that their resource usage is low.

So, what is happening here?

I go along with the popular consensus that Hostgator are jamming too many accounts onto a server and look out if one of your sites has the potential to use up some resources at a later date.

Sounds like a hosting company in its death throes.

Just do a WHT search on Hostgator and you will understand what I am talking about.

Lyn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast