South Park, Colorado

newbie question about colocation

We plan to go colo in a few months and I, as the complete newbie I am, have one quite stupid question.

What is the industry practice for failed hardware in colocated server? Will I need to drive to the DC myself to replace failed HDD? Or is this DC job to replace and then invoice me? Will they replace from their supplies or will I need to take care about this in advance and give them my own hardware? These questions bother me alot lately...

Sorry for being such a lame one...
    Respect My Authoritah! - Eric Cartman (a friend of mine).

well it can either way, depending on the prior arrangements you make with the DC.

DCs charge big $$$ for hardware replacement. (Read $75-$250/hour + hardware cost)

If you're local, and you should be for most colo unless you have special requirements, you're best off to handle hardware replacement yourself.

If you're remote your colo can/should provide hardware replacement as a service for a hourly fee, and you or your hardware vendor provide the hardware to replace.

I would put into your colo contract a set hourally rate for "emergency" repair. Some colo's do and some dont. The ones that dont can and will charge you +$200/hr. I would also build into any large colo contract a set amount of time over the year that they will spend on restarts, HW replacement or any local general maintence. Makes things easy when a chrisis occurs.