View Poll Results: Was the Apollo 11 mission faked?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, we didn't land on the moon!

32 34.41%
  • No!

61 65.59%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Apollo 11 faked?

I remember hearing conspiracy theories about the Apollo 11 mission to the moon, and the government faking the landing. What's your take on the matter?
    - Matt

That theory is absolutely ridiculous.
    So, in my opinion, I don't believe it was fake.
    Haven't been on WHT for 6 years!

Originally posted by jasong
    That theory is absolutely ridiculous.
    So, in my opinion, I don't believe it was fake.
    I didn't read it, but this came up in a Google search. Might be worth a look.
    - Matt

This document is incorrect scientifically.

The shadows could only have been created with multiple light sources and,in particular, powerful spotlights. But the only light source on the Moon was the sun.
    There are actually multiple light sources. The sun and the earth and the moon itself.

The whole notion is pretty funny actually.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Oh come on already, how can anyone believe these conspiracy nuts. I love how they all claim the waving flag as proof that its all a fake. The flag had a rod running through it to hold it out, it was really that simple.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

No way it was faked. What a stupid waste of money for building a rocket (if it was)....

I find it unbelievable that people would even say the moon landing was faked,these conspiracy nuts where running out of ideas....
    Targeted Traffic Premium Targeted Traffic For your site from ProTraffic.net

The argument "You can't trust the government" has a general ring of truth to it. On the other hand, I see no reason to believe that someone with a conspiracy theory to barter for money or attention is automatically trustworthy.
    As a federal employee, I think the biggest weakness in a lot of conspiracy theories is that it requires the conspirators to be more diligent, competent, and faithful to the conspiracy than most of the government is in the performance of its non-secret, routine duties.

Well, I voted yes, but only because there wasn't an option that said "not sure".

I'm surprised I'm the only one though. Some of the evidence from those who claim that it didn't happen is hard to completely dismiss. I'm thinking in particular about the pictures where there are crosshairs that are supposedly etched onto the surface of the camera lense that appear to be going behind some objects, and the photographs that are supposed to have been taken from different locations at different times and are basically the same.

It seems unlikely that it was faked to me to be honest, but it appears that there has been a bit of photographic doctoring going on so if that's the case it does cast a little doubt over things.

Politically faking a moon landing at that particular point in time would have been quite tempting I imagine, so there would be a motivation.

In all probability they did land on the moon, but I wouldn't claim to be certain about that. You should have an option for "Who knows?".

There was also another theory that US never sent anyone on the moon. The tv footage you saw were actually sets.

And to counter this theories, Discovery Channel did run a documentary to proove that US did indeed sent someone to the moon.

Originally posted by hellind2
    And to counter this theories, Discovery Channel did run a documentary to proove that US did indeed sent someone to the moon.
    I think I saw that, on either Discovery or National Geographic channel. Was fairly convincing, I think they addressed nearly every "major" issue/debate.

I've seen a couple of documentaries about this myself, and at the time I thought it was a pretty proposterous notion, but the thing that really set me wondering "maybe?" is that the NASA guy being interviewed was tending to fall back on the "this is a proposterous notion" stance rather than actually addressing some of the more puzling points that were being put to him.

It's very easy to think "how could our government lie to us about something like this", but you know governments have a history of lying about all sorts of stuff. Then there's the old observation that a big lie repeated often is more likely to be believed.

Unless there's a reasonable explanation for every reasonable point that the conspiracy theorists put up for scrutiny, then I'm going to think "they probably did, but maybe they didn't".

I wonder whether all of the people who have voted here have done so because they're thinking "how could the government lie like this", or because they've actually taken the time to look at all of the arguments and evidence available and make their own mind up based upon that?

If the moon landing were a fake, then why can I see the moon lander on the moon with a powerful enough telescope? They left the lander there, and took the conical nose capsule back from the moon.

Originally posted by amish_geek
    If the moon landing were a fake, then why can I see the moon lander on the moon with a powerful enough telescope? They left the lander there, and took the conical nose capsule back from the moon.
    you can see the moon lander on the moon with a powerful telescope?

I guess if that's the case then they obviously did go there. I wonder if there are any photographs of this anywhere (that haven't been produced by nasa).

If anyone can post a link to a photograph of this I would love to see it (this wasn't mentioned on the documentaries I saw from what I remember, so it surprises me that that's actually possible - you must have one hell of a powerful telescope!).

You have a telescope as powerful as this amish_geek?:

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/...?oneclick=true

According to this:

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/astronomy/f...ection-22.html

your claim to have seen the moon lander with a powerful telescope seems a bit odd!

My grandfather worked on the design of the lunar lander.

He once argued with a family member who claimed the landing was faked; still one of the funniest back and forth conversations I've ever heard. Finally my Grandpa said "You got me, the government paid me to lie all these years, there was no moon landing" to which my family member excitedly exclaimed "I knew it!"

My eyes rolled so far into the back of my head I thought I'd pass out
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

apollo 13 was faked

Originally posted by Slidey
    apollo 13 was faked
    Any proof to back up what you're saying?

apollo 13 was faked
    And just what part of it do you think was faked? Care to elaborate?
    I had a chance to speak with Ken Mattingly this weekend at the Team America Rocket Challenge. He sure seemed to think all the work he and countless others did to bring the crippled spacecraft back home was real enough.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

apollo 13 was faked
    Isn't this thread about apollo 11?

Methinks some of the young doubters need to speak to their grandparents Or parents even

Heres my question, why havent we gone back to the moon in recent years?

apollo 13 was faked
    Exactly how was it fake? They never landed on the moon, they had a malfunction and had to return to Earth, luckily thye were able to!

Originally posted by case
    Heres my question, why havent we gone back to the moon in recent years?
    Funding. The Government doesn't wat to fund NASA to go back to the Moon. They see it as a waste of funding.

seemed fake to me

Oh, and don't you just know that it was all part of the Luminadi's plan...yes that's right. It keeps the ignorant masses happy with things to think about while they pull all the strings in the background and control the world.

I have to go take my medicine now. I'll be right back.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

I have to add that im not sure either way, but am 28 years old and have never seen a moon landing.

Ive always believed the Apollo 11 Was faked, after watching programs on TV about it.

Although, TV never tells the truth

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2...htm?list124678

http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/tv/foxapollo.html

Conspiracy theories that would require a large number of people to have knowledge of such conspiracy are nonsense.

This site does a very good job of "de-bunking" the hoax myth.

http://www.apollo-hoax.me.uk/homepage.html

There is a famous saying which goes "The only way three people can keep a secret is if 2 of them are dead".

Do those of you who believe in the conspiricy theory really think that literally thousands of people who would have been involved could SERIOUSLY keep a secret this long?

At some point common sense really has to kick in here.
    Jeremy Johnstone
    Personal Blog: http://www.jeremyjohnstone.com/blog

Originally posted by amish_geek
    Open mouth, insert foot.

There isn't a telescope powerful enough on earth to see the gear left behind on the moon. Sometime in the near future (I know within 2 years, but I think later this year), the very first telescope powerful enough will actually be online and able to see anything left on the moon.
    Jeremy Johnstone
    Personal Blog: http://www.jeremyjohnstone.com/blog

Originally posted by Jeremy Johnstone
    There is a famous saying which goes "The only way three people can keep a secret is if 2 of them are dead".

Do those of you who believe in the conspiricy theory really think that literally thousands of people who would have been involved could SERIOUSLY keep a secret this long?

At some point common sense really has to kick in here.
    Common sense isn't a necessity to conspiracy theorists. These same people today still believe that the US attacked itself on 9/11. lol.

I dont think it was faked........How could it be??????

By now they have gone to the moon (Even if the slightest chance that APPOLO wasnt done)

I dont think it was fake though.........

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

Originally posted by Jeremy Johnstone
    There isn't a telescope powerful enough on earth to see the gear left behind on the moon.
    Indeed, even the Hubble Space Telescope cannot resolve that kind of detail on the moon.

I don't get people who think this is some kind of hoax. It would have been harder to fake effectively than it was to do for real.

I can't read: I voted yes when I really meant no. We did land on the moon anyone who thinks we didn't is a crackpot. But I do delight in telling some of my friends things like; "That is as fake as landing on the moon" in which case I give them all the crazy theories I have heard. A couple times one of them will be stumped by what I said and then I will turn on them and show them how it can be explained.
    --

It was faked. When I was a small one, our old neighbour was redoing his yard and it looked like the lunar surface. NASA asked him if they could use the yard before he replanted it and shot the footage there. Our neighbour got a good deal, a 6-pack of brew and some smokes.
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.

amish_geek said that he can see the lander on the moon. First of all, there is nothing to say that they were not near the moon. People that believe that it was a fake say that they left for the moon, and orbited it for the duration. Nothing would stop them from "droping" the lander on the moon. And could u send me the link to where you got this telescope from please

Secondly. Is there any physics guys out there that can confirm that the suits used can withstand the heat / radioactivity ? Because that is another theory that is used against the moon landing.

I personaly believe that the first moon landing was faked, however i also believe that man HAS been on the moon since.

The most convincing theory for me is " Why are they only moving twice as slow?".

The moons pull is one sixth what it is on earth. This means that if you jump on earth and go 1 cm up, then on the moon, you go 6 cm up. So why is it that if you speed up the fotage of them walking at a rate of 2x, why does it look like normal movememnt on the earth ? In theory, it should need to increase the footage speed by 6x to get it to look like normal eath activity. Anyone got an answer ?
    Last edited by Tuddy; 05-29-2005 at 12:17 AM.

I can resist everything but temptation - Oscar Wilde
    He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man - Dr. Johnson

The weight of the spacesuit could be a part of it, although divided by 6, that is probably not much of an impediment. More of an impediment is the difficulty of flexing their legs in a suit that has more of a pressure difference between inside and outside than a good inflatable kayak. That is part of the reason the astronauts have to do so much physical training.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast