Athlon 64 vs Opteron 64

any suggesttion ?
    It's just the same like last time!!!

Athlon is designed for workstations while Opteron is designed for Servers. Opterons have larger cache and can be run in SMP (2,4,8,etc..) while Athlon 64's can't however they are coming out with the Athlon 64 x2 which is a dual core cpu (they also making opteron version). Opterons require ECC registered ram and in general are more expensive than athlon 64s. Both are very good processors depending on what application they will be used for.

Opteron 64 is by far the best for servers. I canot wait for the dual-core Opteron's to come out
    My Blog - www.Bakie.net
    My Entertainment site - www.SpudMud.com

Originally posted by Bakie
    Opteron 64 is by far the best for servers. I canot wait for the dual-core Opteron's to come out
    Oh yes, when the dual core CPUs are released I will be in heaven.
    "You donít learn to hack, you hack to learn"

Dual core will be something else. I have a few high end dual opterons in production use that get extremely high traffic loads (4million+ hits a day 12+million mysql etc.) and the main bottleneck is ram, with 4gb the machines operate extremely well and the CPU is still not close to being fully utilized. This in mind, I would venture to guess if I had to build the machines over again, the increased cost of the dual core CPU's wouldn't be economical. Rather, putting more ram in and/or higher end SCSI controllers and drives would drive the maximum performance per dollar.

The I/O and capacity of ram are more of an issue with these CPU's, I sincerely beleive it is pointless to run dual opterons with anything less then raid5 or raid0+1 scsi with a nice beefy controller because it will be very hard to maximize the CPU's for a webhosting environment before reaching the I/O limits of the drives.
    Neosurge Web Services since 2002
    Neosurge VPS Hosting

Hi Vietkool,

AMD64 is an advanced 64-bit computing initiative that includes two similar yet distinct microprocessor families, the well-known Opteron chip and the newer Athlon 64 processor.
    Advanced Micro Devices' AMD64 technology is sold through two primary chip families: the Opteron chip, which is used primarily in workstation and servers, and the Athlon 64 processor, which represents the uniprocessor line destined for desktop PCs.

At the heart of AMD64 computing is a core set of features shared by both the Athlon 64 and Opteron chips. The most obvious of these, of course, is complete, high-performance compatibility with the 32-bit x86 instruction set, including support for previous graphics- and multimedia-oriented extensions, such as MMX, SSE, and SSE2, as well as 3DNow!
    Servers based on AMD64 can be configured with 1, 2, 4, or 8 Opteron processors. These chips are characterized by their ability to work in multiway designs, by their greater number of HyperTransport links, and by the greater amount of RAM they support. All these benefits are features associated with
    workstations and, especially, servers.
    Bright Info Solutions

I would go with Athlon 64 Socket 939 cpus if I want fastest single processor system over the the Opteron 100 series. Of course, Opterons if I want multi-processor machine (no choice here).
    Prices123.com - Online product price comparison shopping

Compare/check prices at Prices123.com | Affordable dedicated servers

I should also mention that Opterons have this thermal protection so if the processor gets too hot the bios will scale down the cpu to prevent it from frying itself, a great feature if your heatsink fan dies for some reason. I am not sure whether or the athlon 64's have this function.

Many motherboards have some form of temperature protection nowadays and according to this article at amd forums, http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showtopic=24218, Athlon 64 cpus have thermal protection built-in.
    Prices123.com - Online product price comparison shopping

Compare/check prices at Prices123.com | Affordable dedicated servers