Hosting recommendation for beginner user?

I did try doing some searching, but to find something that fits all of my requirements is quite time consuming...

So I'm helping a family friend setup some webhosting space. They are going to be using this space basically for an online photo album, and want to be able to password protect things. Here is a list of general reqirements:

User friendly Photo gallery script - gotta be easy to use and manage for average, non-computer savvy people.

Decent amount of space. Doesn't need to be huge, but most basic plans I have seen seem adequate at least.

Password protection. Would like to be able to password protect the site. This can be through the Photo Gallery script itself, or directly through the web server.

Control Panel? I've used cpanel, but I get the feeling it would be a little bit complicated and difficult for a novice internet/computer user to get then hang of. I'm not really sure how much administration they're going to be doing, but my guess is not very much.

Speed. I personally use addaction, and I'm a little disappointed with the bandwidth. FTP is painfully slow sometimes, and I expected HTTP to be a lot faster.

I have looked into a few hosting companies so far, but nothing in depth. godaddy seems like a good deal, but the basic plan doesn't include any photo albums or other php scripts. At $4/month, it's very appealing. The nex plan up is $10/month - but when all I need is a photo gallery, is it worth paying twice as much for? Any other suggestions?

Thanks for reading!!

Hmmm..... out of the hosts I'm using, I recall Site5 have some photo gallery stuff.... never used that feature myself, though.
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

Hello Mayo

I would advise a host with fantastico. This awesome little program has all the tools you need to get your web site up and running. It auto installs most major scripts by the click of a button ( image gallerys etc..)

Fantastico is available with Cpanel.

Also take a look in the offers section. There are many hosts that offer this service for a very resonable price.

Best of luck.

I second Site5 as a host I have been quite satisfied with. They have Fantastico scripts and can host multiple domains if the family decides they want that.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

Any host that will install Gallery for you, or has Gallery as part of their fantastico package will suffice.

If you would like, and if I have free time I can get gallery working for you/your friend.
    Webair Internet Development Inc.
    Shared Hosting Managed Dedicated Servers SEO
    1.866.WEBAIR.1 www.webair.com 24/7/365 Support Adult Friendly
    My comments do not reflect the views of the company or its management.

I forgot to mention that, for my own purposes, doing precisely what your friend is doing, I think Jalbum is an awesome program for generating online photo albums. Creates all the html you need and resizes your images into thumbnails and scaled images.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

There are lots of hosts out there that provide such photo album scripts.

Have you done a search to see if there are any hosts that have a website builder specifically for photo albums?

I think MSN does something like this, i could check up on it if you like.... ?

Thumbs up Fantastico it is!!

I'm utter newbie (to BB hosting not computers) and I was able to put up a cool community BB, calendar and chat application no sweat with Fantastico.

I picked realwebhost.net based on what I read on this board.

Good luck!

G

As several people have recommended Fantastico, I will just say ditto.

As far as the control panel goes, CPanel with the Xcontroller theme is very simple and easy to use for novices. We standardized on it after giving it the 'elderly mom test'.

Good luck with your search.
    Mark Oberg
    Techweenies.com

(No longer affiliated with Uneedawebsite.com)

I have to ditto CPanel and Fantastico. And if you have the privledges you can easily add a gallery program to it in the tools if your host doesn't have one or if what they have wont' work for you.

If those aren't options there are several good programs under Open Source that might fit the bill for you - HotScripts is a good place to check for them.

Thanks for all of the replies! I'm pretty sure whatever service I choose for them will have to include CPanel and Fantastic. I imagine, though, that I'll be the one setting everything up. So these things being there won't help *them* out that much.

Are there any other specific web hosting recommendations? Has anyone used Duport, or DKMHosting? I can't find very much feedback on them here

mayonaise,

If you can't find all that much feedback on them - I would be wary of going with them.

Test their support, see how quickly they respond and base your decision on the content of their responses.

Research, research and more research - don't just give anyone your money.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

You will find many web hosts offering cPanel and Fantastico under "Shared and Reseller Hosting Offers". Just have to look