Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1

    E-MAIL By THE CLICK

    Businesses email addresses, which are normally displayed on websites, are being hammered continuously by junk emails.
    At the present there is practically sod all you can do to stop or reduce these nasty, irritating and time wasting spam mails.
    The question is: -
    Could these spam mails be stopped or reduced considerably by introducing a restriction which can be programmed at the server end to accept emails only and only by clicking on the published email address?
    What are the consequences of applying this idea and what can the spammers do to make it unsuccessful?
    allsetnet.com

  2. #2

    Re: E-MAIL By THE CLICK

    Originally posted by allsetnet.com
    Businesses email addresses, which are normally displayed on websites, are being hammered continuously by junk emails.
    At the present there is practically sod all you can do to stop or reduce these nasty, irritating and time wasting spam mails.
    The question is: -
    Could these spam mails be stopped or reduced considerably by introducing a restriction which can be programmed at the server end to accept emails only and only by clicking on the published email address?
    What are the consequences of applying this idea and what can the spammers do to make it unsuccessful?
    Could this be applied to all private email addresses by listing all the email addresses in an email addresses directory web site?
    In this case, only trusted senders can bypass this restriction.
    allsetnet.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    3,080
    I have seen some email services that offer a service where the sender must first reply to another email address verifying that it is not spam. It is not a bad idea and probably would cut back on the spam, the downside it is an annoyance for clients and the verification email may be blocked by filters.

    I am not really sure how you could the above method but it would be very inconvient for people using an email client.
    John W, CISSP, C|EH
    MS Information Security and Assurance
    ITEagleEye.com - Server Administration and Security
    Yawig.com - Managed VPS and Dedicated Servers with VIP Service

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,830
    Originally posted by eth00
    I have seen some email services that offer a service where the sender must first reply to another email address verifying that it is not spam. It is not a bad idea and probably would cut back on the spam, the downside it is an annoyance for clients and the verification email may be blocked by filters.

    I am not really sure how you could the above method but it would be very inconvient for people using an email client.
    Challenge Response is a terrible idea and makes no sense if you think about it.

    Person A and Person B both have a challenge response setup. A e-mails B. B's server replies with a challenge response. Now, the chalenge response is met with another challenge response from A's server. That mail is never delivered because neither of the users get the CR.

    Because spam almost always uses a forged FROM address, the chalenge response is just causing more spam to be sent to the user who had their address used in the spam.

    Certain spam lists are also treating challenge response e-mails as spam, more details at:

    http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/329.html#CR

  5. #5
    Thanks for your replies.
    I did not mean that the server should do any verification of addresses.
    The server should only verify that the sender clicks the published email address manually to post an email. This prevents sending bulk emails.
    Email addresses directory website should only serve as a telephone directory to enable choosing and clicking the selected email address to post an email.
    So, you can only click a published email address manually to send unless the receiver verifies that you are trusted when the server requests this response.
    allsetnet.com

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,830
    Originally posted by allsetnet.com

    So, you can only click a published email address manually to send unless the receiver verifies that you are trusted when the server requests this response.
    The part I quoted is the problem though. You can guarantee that addresses like paypal.com, ebay.com, etc will be trusted in a huge amount of mail clients, so the spammers would just start using those and bypass any checks you had in place.

    To be honest, I'm not really understanding what you mean by clicking the address to send. What would prevent a robot from simulating the click? Who would maintain this list?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    73
    http://wheresthebeef.co.uk/show.php/spam/ is a method that i've found to be rather successful in stopping "Spam Harvesters" from fniding my e-mails and not sacrificing any usability what so ever.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •