Thread: VPS migration?

VPS migration?

Hi all,

Newbie question. My company has a Verio VPS v2 account that cost us $150/month (seems high to me but we've had no problems in the 8 months I've been working with them). Verio recently announced the same account with name change -- VPS v2 1000 -- for $109/month. According to the sales rep I talked to, I have to open a new account/server and transfer the old account/server to the new one to get the reduced price.

What's the most seemless/easist way to transfer the data from the old account to the new? I'm running three websites and 4 mailing lists. I've never setup a VPS from scratch, this setup was already done when I started the job.

Thanks in advance

There are several things to consider here - are you running a control panel?

If you are - look at the detals of how you do this. If you are not, then it should be simply a matter of making sure the NEW VPS has all the necessary software installed, then grab your backup from your current VPS and restore it to the new one - you do have a backup don't you ?

In order to make sure, you will probably need to run both servers concurrently for a few days (well, up to a month).

Of course, if you don't know what/how to do this work, take a look in the advertising forums and find a sysadmin to assist you do the task.
    CPanel Shared and Reseller Hosting, OpenVZ VPS Hosting. West Coast (LA) Servers and Nodes
    Running Linux since 1.0.8 Kernel!
    Providing Internet Services since 1995 and Hosting Since 2004

NSW, Australia
    If cPanel/WHM and you have root access on both, then its a really simple task of just entering in your details on the new server in WHM and it automatically migrates all your clients
    Rob G.
    ShopManager - Sales & Repair Business Management Software

Thanks for the advice. I think one of the Verio system admin will be able to assist.

The control panel is called iManager -- I'm guesing it's Verio's own software. I do know that I only have admin access with the WHM so that's not an option.