Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

* Pixiehost seems to have vanished

Up till a few weeks ago, I was a frustrated customer of Pixiehost. I hate having to change providers, but I've learned to read the writing on the wall (and on this forum), and it was obvious that Pixiehost was a sinking ship.

It seems I jumped ship just in time. Their domain name expired on May 18th. Their servers are still alive, but their domain is dead.

I made this discovery when I attempted to submit my cancellation notice. I wonder if I'll still get billed?

BTW, I switched to Site5, and I'm now a very happy camper. It seems all of the good things I've read about them on this forum are true.

Wow, weird indeed. What can I say? Congrats for getting out of there right before this, and good luck with your new host.

Wow ... what a business, Pixiehost ... all my sites are gone ... their domain is gone too, and their server. And guess what, I don't have last backups of the sites (I have a scheduled appointment to backup every 2 days). Also all the business mails.

Pixiehost, if you are reading this, please answer 2 questions:

1. Will you be back?

2. What about my money, about my subscription plan, that is being charged every 3 months? Shall I have to cancel that subscription from my card holder?

Other WHTalkers, please give an advice about the 2-nd issue. Thank you in advance.

Is this the way we are doing business?

My sites are gone as well -- without any warning or heads up. Just gone. I am planning to cancel the subscription from my credit card just to be safe.

What a bunch of losers from a business perspective. Too bad since I actually liked Pixiehost service and responsiveness.

Originally posted by mrclean
    My sites are gone as well -- without any warning or heads up. Just gone. I am planning to cancel the subscription from my credit card just to be safe.

What a bunch of losers from a business perspective. Too bad since I actually liked Pixiehost service and responsiveness.
    Wow... you're the 1st that I head from who liked PixieHost's service. That's rare.

Anyway, it's very advisable to cancel everthing with your Credit Card company for anything to do with PixieHost. This is because if in case there are something/anything wrong, you do not have to get yourself into a headache and go to the bank and make a chargeback and all those other stuff.

That's gonna be a BIG BIG BIG hassle.

Anyway, I wish you good luck on finding your next host... Take care and of coz, Have a nice day!
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com

Pixiehost.com dosent even work anymore..
    fuse9 LLC
    -Support Team-
    fusing the core of the internet
    Webhosting, Reseller Hosting, Custom Plans

Hi Pixiehost refugees,

Well scanning these forums I see that pixiehost has gone up and down a lot recently...maybe there is still some hope that the servers will come back up long enough for us to get our data off them. I've definitely learned some lessons about keeping local copies etc. Luckily my site was just personal stuff.

ssh'ing to my domain used to connect me to chicago.serverindo.net. That machine is unreachable, but several others (eg. fresno, sacramento, newyork etc) are still up. Unfortunatelly my login doesn't work on those. If anyone discovers an alternative way to connect and get data, let me know!

Brian

Wow... you're the 1st that I head from who liked PixieHost's service. That's rare.
    As far as I can remember that wasn't the case a while ago, but times and hosts change.. or so I guess.

Yeah, when I started with them about a year ago they were very responsive to support requests. Installed perl modules for me in < 24 hrs. etc. ...then they stopped replying to support...then my site was sporadically unavailable...and now even their webpage is gone. The internet sure makes it easy to wash your hands of a business that you no longer want to run.

That is very strange, a host just disappears after being online for 2-3 years and with many clients. What could be the reason for this?

I hope everyone had their own personal backups, best of luck.

Very strange they updated there domain on the 19-may

They are backup right now. Quick download your site! I just got mine.

I was having trouble downloading files, but I found that if I used the IP address URL to access my site instead of the domain name, sometimes that worked better. I have no idea why -- I don't understand enough about all of this to figure it out -- but that is my observation.

I really feel for all of you that are having problems. I bailed a few months ago. I just couldn't take it anymore. Luckily I was able to salvage most of my customers and make them happy again. Let me know if I can assist anyone.
    Last edited by icoso; 05-26-2005 at 11:33 AM.
    internet Computing Solutions - www.icoso.com
    Web Site Hosting/Design - Internet/Network Consultant

All of Pixiehost's clients, if you have your backup just move onto a new host. Do not wait around for them to come back, if someone disappears without a say, most likely they won't be coming back.

Well I already got myself out of there, but I can't cancel my hosting account with Pixie because their site is down. The fax # that was given to cancel accounts goes to some flower shop now, and I am clueless as to how to contact anyone otherwise.

I called up the credit card company, and they said that the only way to stop Pixie from billing is to cancel that credit card. Are they still going to be billing me anyways...? With the site down and everything?

Too bad the companies who run the servers couldn't release backups to abandoned clients.

All too often, folks get screwed. I'm alright, as I have current back ups on all the sites that were on the box.

I'd love to say more, but I have a lot of work to do, and just before the long weekend.

:-(

I've already cancelled the credit card which I registered with. Ask your card holder to reissue you a new card with same account behind the old card. You will have new card number and new pin, but based on the old account.

Pixiehost received last year very good comments here in WHT, that's why I chose this hosting.

I've moved all the mission critical accounts off the pixie box earlier. Thankfully, my credit card expired last month. I knew something was going to hit the fan when I used their help desk to ask if they wanted my new expiration date. Never had a response, so I didn't get charged for one month. I don't feel too bad now about one month free service.

Pixie was really good before all this **** started happening. It wasn't until about 2005 that everything began to fall apart.

I called the upstream folks, the owners of the servers. Man, must be nice to have an attitude. They don;t care sweet tweet about it. "You're not our customer' they say. Just for the heck of it, I thought I'd call the upstream sales desk, and get my own box. Service right from a data center was rather unimpressive. I'm starting to wonder how many holes are there in this hosting gig. So, I'm just back from the store, unpacking my own shiny brand new box. I think I just may say so long folks, and do my own thing on my own server, to hell with the hosting business. Now if I could just get enough windmills on my roof top, I could go offline altogether..... :-)

pixie going down has been a long time coming.

it really started to fall apart at the start of the year. the baltimore server was horrible back then.

funny thing is i cancelled my account almost 5 months ago, but still have full access to it, and I haven't been billed either. i know royk (the owner) did a runner (or so it would seem) a while back, but I wonder who has been running / managing the servers since.

from what i last heard, he was moving and left pixie in the hands of an "associate". maybe thats where it all went wrong? well, this is what i read on the pixie forums while their domain was still up.

yeah i'm having the same problems as brownafroduck, on cancelling my subscription with pixiehost.

also, pixiehost seems to have locked my domain, so when i moved i had to buy another domain.
    i'd like to keep my old domain name, anyone have any suggestions on how to do this? thanks!

Its a shame some clients didnt back up their sites regularly and now they cant do much about it.

don't blame clients if you cannot provide backup solutions and keep the hosting business running

Originally posted by kaparo
    don't blame clients if you cannot provide backup solutions and keep the hosting business running
    Well, it is their responsibility to back up their own files.

If you think that a host is gonna be up 24/7/365 to where you won't need to backup your data, then you're in denial.

CUSTOMERS SHOULD ALWAYS BACK UP THEIR DATA EITHER DAILY OR WEEKLY! IT'S YOUR RESPONSIBILITY!

That's why CPANEL and WHM have the freakin option to backup data available to the customers.

if you read my earlier post on this thread, you will see that I do backup on a 2-days basis. Now, if a hosting business dies without any warnings, if the main domain of the hosting company is no more the company's own ... no backup can help on this

Originally posted by kaparo
    if you read my earlier post on this thread, you will see that I do backup on a 2-days basis. Now, if a hosting business dies without any warnings, if the main domain of the hosting company is no more the company's own ... no backup can help on this
    That's why you immediately download the backup to your PC and remove it from their server..

I do backups on 6am and 6pm intervals every day of WHM, CPANEL, and all my Reseller 5 clients and immediately back them up and save them to a CD-R..

There is always always always that risk

I wasnt blaming clients at all, i was actually saying its really sad to see those clients struggling to get their websites back , those who even didnt make backups i fear for the most as it has happened to me before.

best of luck

Originally posted by miss_yasmina
    also, pixiehost seems to have locked my domain, so when i moved i had to buy another domain.
    i'd like to keep my old domain name, anyone have any suggestions on how to do this? thanks!
    If the owner could help out, that would be the best. Otherwise it might take you a while. First do a Whois check to see who the registrar is, tell them what had happened and request that the contact info be changed to that of your own. You would most probably be asked to fax some documents in support of your ID and ownership and may be made to wait for something like months, if not sooner, before the registrar will release your domain to you.

I'm sorry to see you folks in such a plight.

All the best.
    "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men."

pixiehost.com seems to have expired now

Lightbulb a note to everyone that hosted with pixiehost

Holy crap I hate that dude! He really was responsive at first but server downtimes have steadily increased and responsiveness has steadily DECREASED... I moved to a new host JUST IN TIME! micfo.com... they are amazing compaired to my last 3 hosts...

ANYWAY, here's my suggestion -- CANCEL THE CREDIT CARD you used to pay pixie host with. I will bet you $100 that asswipe will try to hit all of them up as many times as it won't get rejected. I just canceled my number and a new credit card is on it's way...

I had all my sites backed up. Not exactly as current as I would have liked them to be, but none the less, I have backups.

I'm just getting pretty PO'd with the 'blame the customer' attitude. "You should have done this, you should have done that"....its getting tired already.

The more TOS I read, the more I'm thinking that perhaps there should be some standards in place. As it is, any 14 year old kid with access toi mommy or daddy's credit card can be a web host, or a reseller. That's just sick.

Furthermore, the general attitude upstream is: not our problem!

Seems the only obligation companies have to their customers is: we are obligated to take your money.

I'm pretty tired of some A hole upstream making me and my business look like an idiot because he screwed up. This time around, I'm going direct and putting in some very strict terms and conditions. Hell, I may even write a Customer's TOS and see how many companies are willing to abide by it. I'd be surprised if one would.

Thanks to this forum for letting me vent, and do some research.

Best of luck in finding a good and reliable host.

The website does seem to be back up but I would agree its a bad sign

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

If you are still with Pixiehost at this point, you need to get your sites transferred ASAP and move to another host. Don't take a chance!

the phone is still not connected........

The phone number hasn't worked since Late March/Early April!

Angry

Originally posted by Minimalistix
    Best of luck in finding a good and reliable host.
    Luck to you...I am a Pixie refugee and I just signed up with your
    Hosting Simply Site! Right off the bat, the registration did not complete after I paid my registration and now I am waiting on an email to fix it so I can start setting up my new sites.....

Your Reseller account info has been successfully emailed to you and payment was fully received upon registration

Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast