Question Star Wars, What am I missing?

I have never seen any of the Star Wars movies.
    Am I missing something?

If you turn out to like them? Then you've been missing out on a whole lot.

If you find you're not into 'space cowboy' movies then probably nothing at all.

Personally, I find Star Wars (and Star Trek) to be about as cool as anything can get.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

I saw the original star wars but none of the new ones, I'm a big fan of star trek though.
    Jean-Pierre Abboud / I'm the TekGURU
    www.Gotekky.com / Managed hosting solutions / AS63447
    Web Hosting, VPS Hosting, Dedicated Servers

if I go and see the latest release, will I understand what they have been trying to accomplish in the previous versions?

Is star wars and Star trek the same thing?

Probably not. I'd suggest you go rent episodes 1 and 2 first. Well, to be completely honest the best thing to do would be to watch eps 4 through 6 first, then 1 and 2 - but that's a bit confusing.

Star Wars and Star Trek are two totally different things - both in style and message.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

I've never seen any of the other Star Wars movies, but I saw the new one, and I have to say I enjoyed it quite a bit!

From little bits that I have seen of the other ones, or from what is general knowledge about it, it did make sense!

Nope, Star Wars is a movie, whereas Star Trek is a series. Have to say, I've started getting into Star Trek recently!

Originally posted by doot
    if I go and see the latest release, will I understand what they have been trying to accomplish in the previous versions?

Star wars is more of a fantasy compared to the more scientifically oriented star trek.

Originally posted by X-TechMedia

Nope, Star Wars is a movie, whereas Star Trek is a series. Have to say, I've started getting into Star Trek recently!
    Yah shame on paramount for cancelling Star Trek Enterprise.

Are the special effects good in this latest release?
    I am assuming the movie is about a war in space,
    is this correct?

I though SW: Episode 3 was a real good movie, its much better than 1 & 2, but not better than 4, 5 and 6

Can't stand Star Wars - not much meaning to it in my opinion.

Love Star Trek though... but that is has a lot of meaning about it - what should be done in this situation - what is right and wrong - where we're heading for - what we need to look out for, that kind of thing.

Its all opinion baby...

I can never watch Star Trek for 5 minutes, much less a minute...it is just so boring and not cool to me...

Star Wars, on the other hand...well I counted and I must have seen Episodes 4-6 at least 100 times each. It doesnt get much better than Star Wars.
    hostVentura
    adam.ferree@gmail.com
    AIM: windsofnihility

Originally posted by akashik
    . . . Personally, I find Star Wars (and Star Trek) to be about as cool as anything can get.
    Indeed.

imo, science fiction peaked with ST VOY and 7 of 9.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Re: Star Wars, What am I missing?

Originally posted by doot
    I have never seen any of the Star Wars movies.
    Am I missing something?
    I suppose they're worth watching if only to undestand all the references to Star Wars in so much popular culture. If you want to trim it down to the minimum, you could start by watching Return of the Jedi so that maybe you can still be slightly surprised at the identity of the Emperor and Darth Vader, if all the current hype hasn't given that away. Then watch Revenge of the Sith to tell you how they got to be the Emperor and Darth Vader.

Re: Re: Star Wars, What am I missing?

Originally posted by Disgruntled
    . . . If you want to trim it down to the minimum, you could start by watching Return of the Jedi so that maybe you can still be slightly surprised at the identity of the Emperor and Darth Vader, if all the current hype hasn't given that away. Then watch Revenge of the Sith to tell you how they got to be the Emperor and Darth Vader.
    NOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Start at the beginning and watch all 6 movies in 1 hit. Gosh, how great would that be, to watch all 6 without having seen them before.

Re: Re: Re: Star Wars, What am I missing?

Originally posted by Aussie Bob
    NOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Start at the beginning and watch all 6 movies in 1 hit. Gosh, how great would that be, to watch all 6 without having seen them before.
    I guess if one has the patience to do that, it could be interesting. Since "4", "5", and "6" were originally "1", "2", and "3" it could be a different experience to see things in the current 1, 2, and 3 as foreshadowing instead of just explaining the origin of a known ending.

I want to get the full DVD box set, when it comes out, with all 6 movies. That would be great watching it from start to finish, if you've got a spare 15 hours to kill.

Yes, if you haven't watched Star Wars then you are missing, according to most Star War fans, the sexiest thing ever: Princess Leia in golden bra.

i think we are both the same.. i am not a fan of star wars.. so i think you are not mising anything here..
    www.DefyStudios.com ___Interactive Design

You dont have to be a fan of the movie to enjoy it... Im not a fan of Tolkien, or Lords of the Rings but I enjoyed the movies. Star Wars is a good set of movies. I recommend watching all of them.

I had a lot of my questions answered about the movie here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars

I wouldnt doubt if they make a 7,8,9 considering Princess Leia marries Hans Solo, and Luke is yet to become a master jedi... They have so much story left to tell... i didn't even know about any of this stuff until I came upon that wiki which takes awhile to go through. All I wanted to know was who fostered Luke and Leia, which is clearly answered in the movie...

Star Trek isn't meant to be 'cool' - it's meant to be meaningful.

Why does everybody require 'cool' in a movie now...

Are you missing something?

IMO there are two answers to that. With the "first" three meaning those from the 70s and 80s, quite possibly. When it comes to the prequals, i wouldn't have too many regrets if i were you, i don't.

This is a British film critic's line and not my own...."the acting is so wooden, it's like chewing the edge of a table."

And Lucas' CGI fetish is really, really, starting to have a negative impact on the film's. I've heard one person in the industry describe it is a computer game more than it is a film.

Critic,
    The 9 words of life quote -
    "Act with honour, seek justice, die true, remembered well."
    GO LDN 2012 ~ AIM = Critic News Info

I'm British - don't get what you wrote though... are you talking about star trek or star wars?