Thread: Backup Software

Backup Software

Hi Guys,

I am going to start the hosting business and read many post related to backup optionl. But I really do not understand about FTP backup, work group, Image etc... etc... I am confuse that the FTP is diffrent and imaeg is diffrent and so and so..

My quistion is very simple. I am planning to go with:
    MySQL
    MsSQL
    Mial Server
    Statics
    PHP, PERL, ASP etc... etc...

Now I need to take backup of every thing. Everything means If server gove crashed then I have every thing and can restrore it.

Should I need more then one backup software or only one which will done all the backup?

If needs only one can you please suggest that software?

Did I post this message in wrong forum? If yes could you please suggest me which form shoud I go?

Thanks,

AskAR,

Do you know what control panel you will be using? Most have a package you can install to backup server wide resources. FOr instance, SWSoft has a backup script for Plesk and cPanel also has one. Too, most datacenters have a solution you can purchase with your account.

- HN Mike
    ||| Mike Bowers - Marketing Director
    ||| atOmicVPS LTD
    ||| OnApp Powered Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting ► [Shared] ► [Reseller] ► [VPS]
    ||| Follow the atOmicVPS Blog

I will be using Helm CP. And want to take bakcup in secound har drive on server as well also in my personal PC here.

OK,
    Right, well, if you just want to backup to a second hard drive, just either use RAID, or do just copy the entire /home directory to your backup drive every day.
    That's the simple way to do it.
    However, control panel settings may not be saved.

A RAID hard drive is the best option.

Basically, if you've chosen your host correctly, and they don't have much chance of going bust etc, the worst that can happen is your hard drive fails. The only other thing that could happen is someone deletes your data, but if you have good security.

Mind you saying all of that- that's what backups are for!!!!!!!!!

It's quite easy to zip up your entire /home directory and transfer it to your pc everyday.
    Also, how big are these backups... you want to transfer up to 80gb every day to your machine??

Also, look into Rsync.
    Andrew Thomas

I would like daily backup on my secound hard drive and weekly backup on my personal PC.

Ok I got the point. But I do not have RAID hard drieve. and by copy to secound hard drive will it cover all bakup. Such as CP setting, mail server, SQL dataabse and perl, php etc... ?

That's the problem with that method.
    Just copying the /home directory won't get sql or cp settings etc.
    You need to use your control panel software really to do that (since cp settings are part of the cp).
    Andrew Thomas