http://www.westhost.com/awards.html seems fishy. I looked into the first and last 'award' on this page, and could find no evidence for these awards. I contacted westhost about 'em and didn't hear back. I just contacted them again, to give 'em another chance. There's no link to the cnet monitoring OR award, or the BBB stuff (Edit: Te BBB's website does show westhost is a member (perhaps in good standing); I searched for it.)
    RBAYLESS: can you share your current/detailed uptime stats?
    The 800# worked fine for me when I tried to reach sales. They're not a 24/7 operation though. Rather, they're 12/5.

Hopefully they got their security issues straightened out.

A couple years back, I was installing a script for a customer. Without CHMODding anything, I was able to install files on a server that you shouldn't have been able to create files on without CHMODding permissions on.

And then there were errors with that particular script, when it installed anywhere else (on different servers/companies) without any problems, without altering the code itself.

That was a major security risk in of itself. Splitting this thread, since dotbomber bumped up a thread more than three months old...
    Douglas Hazard - Certifiable Sports Junkie and Sports Community Enthusiast

Host of Two Cents Radio - Follow @TwoCentsRadio on Twitter (@BearlyDoug on Twitter)

Thanks. <Didn't realize my post had been moved - reposted, then cleaned - the search for my posts feature had a glitch...(It was showing me devioustrap's posts, not mine) I got the email saying the thread had a reply from you, went to see it, saw my post was missing...>

As for SECURITY: I figure with a VPS, it's harder for them to screw up security. Unless the hyperthreading flaws turn out to be more serious than most people thing, I don't expect there to be a problem; timing attacks on a VPS server would take ages, I'd say.

Wow - pretty strange to see westhost as Better Business Bureau Online Member
    Last edited by DediZoneSales; 05-23-2005 at 03:55 PM.