ServerMatrix/ThePlanet

Hi All,
    I've had a server with these guys for over 2 years and their service recently started declining. Recently, one of our IP addresses have been DoS attacked and each time this happens, they completely block ALL IP addressed and access to our server even though we have multiple name servers and IP addresses which can be used.

They've basically said they don't want to help and this is completely unlike them since they have been very helpful in the past. I'm not sure if they have a new owner or just a crappy batch of tech support reps but I'm ready to get new servers with a new company.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

You could try liquidweb (www.liquidweb.com )
    It also helps to do a search
    Good luck, I have also heard about the planet going down the drain. I currently have a site on a shared account thats on a server at The Planet datacenter, and it's gone down twice, due to hardware failure.

I am sorry to hear that you received a DoS attack. That happens from time to time to some sites. However, theplanet is usually very good at handling these types of issues, at least in my experience. I have never had them block all of my IP's. But I am proactive and work with them to solve the issue.
    Don't you walk thru my words
    You got to show some respect
    Don't you walk thru my words
    'Cause you ain't heard me out yet

That's what I expected from them - and I'm kinda surprised by their attitude. I have no reason paying extra for a server if that would solve the problem but they have told us it's up to us to figure out the problem - How???
    And if it happens again, they'll block all the IPs - Doesn't seem like they're willing to help.!

wh0cares I would suggest, picking up the phone and "talking" to a L2 tech, or a manager. These are issues you should be talking to them about, not necessiarly emailing back and forth. TP is suppose to have very good anit-DDoS, so this doesn't sound like the full truth from your side.

Pick up the phone and see what is going on, if you can't call.. maybe its time to get a VPS
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / "Automate. Grow. Repeat"
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / A KEAP Certified Developer (KCD)

The Planet has gone under MAJOR changes from what I can tell, After the incident I had with them it seems a good ammount of staff has been fired or susspended just recently.
    ••• Edrick Smith •••
    ••• C47 Hosting LLC | Media Centric High Demand Web Services •••

Originally posted by BluTechnolog
    The Planet has gone under MAJOR changes from what I can tell, After the incident I had with them it seems a good ammount of staff has been fired or susspended just recently.
    I noticed the post on their forum about this also. Very sad to see Stephanie in sales go.

Are you entirely sure that they are fired or suspended or they left on their own accord ?

Fired / Suspended acording to people from the inside.
    ••• Edrick Smith •••
    ••• C47 Hosting LLC | Media Centric High Demand Web Services •••

Re: ServerMatrix/ThePlanet

Originally posted by wh0cares

They've basically said they don't want to help and this is completely unlike them since they have been very helpful in the past. I'm not sure if they have a new owner or just a crappy batch of tech support reps but I'm ready to get new servers with a new company.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.
    you want to be more speicify about that part? why they don't want to help? is it because of your way of asking help or they can't?

Well, maybe not all of them are unhelpfull. I have met one of the techs in theplanet and he's very helpful.

Have you tried with other tech support?

Regards,
    Reyner Natahamidjaja
    :: Global IP Networks - Tier 3 Data Center and Managed IT Solutions
    :: SSAE 16 SOC-2, PCI and HIPAA Compliant
    :: https://gipnetworks.com

Like I said, I have had no problems in the past with them as they have been helpful. But this time all they said was there was a DoS attack and they had to block all ports. I asked if they knew the source and they said we would have to figure that out for ourselves - that's actually in the ticket on Orbit.

Really weird - that's why I'm wondering if they have a change in management.

Originally posted by RealtorHost
    wh0cares I would suggest, picking up the phone and "talking" to a L2 tech, or a manager. These are issues you should be talking to them about, not necessiarly emailing back and forth. TP is suppose to have very good anit-DDoS, so this doesn't sound like the full truth from your side.

Pick up the phone and see what is going on, if you can't call.. maybe its time to get a VPS
    Sounds like you work for them - if so, take a look at my ticket and see exactly what's going on. And BTW, we spoke to a tech support guy on Saturday so don't go assuming people are lying.

wh0cares - whether he works for them or not - that's really good advice. I hate trouble ticket systems and email and if something is critical to me or has gone on too long I pick up the phone and usually get it worked out quick and easy.

I don't work for the Planet, but I do host with them and the phone has always worked well, their techs are friendly and helpful and I sure hope that doesn't change cause I really dont' want to go looking for a new host.
    Game control panels - control your game world your way. Server-Genie.com
    http://server-genie.com

I never said you were lying wh0cares, and combing over my responce I know I did not. I merely suggested calling them, if you haven't. Why not "keep" calling them? If you really cared about your server, you would be calling every hour. I sure know I would.

And for the record, no I do not work there.. thanks

Thanks for your input everyone, and that included you RealtorHost
    I think ThePlanet's servive is top-notch despite this recent problem.
    I decided to purchase another server from ThePlanet, not ServerMatrix hoping this would alleviate some problems.
    Although there has been some problems with services on the new server, all issues are being addressed within an acceptable time frame.

BethSG,
    I guess I favor using the online support application as it decreases the overhead cost of calling - which is another reason their prices are more reasonable.

Thanks All!

I understand and appreciate the overhead cost and even though I dislike most trouble ticket systems I do use them when I have to. However if it is a critical situation or I dont' feel I'm getting the response I need I pick up the phone and that usually clears things up quicker than waiting for emails to go back and forth.

And there's always the email black holes where you wonder if it's the service department or the email that's dropped the ball. At least with a phone you know when you don't make contact. LOL
    Game control panels - control your game world your way. Server-Genie.com
    http://server-genie.com

I think the Planet has been very slow the last year.

We are very friendly to them and asked them about buying admin time to help us with a Plesk crash, but it took them about 12 hours before they helped us. I also called them twice but it didn't make it faster... We also had problems with DSBL block and TP closed our SMTP, but we had no open relays...We have had a bunch of other issues too that we haven't got the help with in time...They are always fast when buying new servers etc..uuhh

I have found the planet great with handeling ddos. A few times i've received an email from their staff saying I was under attack and they would be adding the firewall. The attact was filtered very effectively and could not be noticed from any of my sites.

Would server matrix and the planet maybe have different policys for filtering ddos? Since the planet is higher end, is there maybe more attention given, or better equipment used?
    Ryan Dubois
    Director of Sales
    Hostbusters Web Solutions
    www.thehostbusters.com

wh0cares good luck and I hope it works out!!!

I do not know the planet and has never been one of their customers, but I know in general company that size will have thousands of customers.

I admire their growth and they hear what the market wants, which is a cheaper price for servers and service. But, please do understand that from the company's side, they will have to pay to hire more people and the price for that will be determined by you, the customer or how much do you want to spend for such service.

In this case, as long as the number of problems are within control, I am sure that Theplanet will have a quick response. However, if they have more problems than what their people can handle, please be patient. I'm sure that eventually your problem will be solved. Time is expensive, and we are going to pay for it either with dollar bills or simply just being patience.
    Reyner Natahamidjaja
    :: Global IP Networks - Tier 3 Data Center and Managed IT Solutions
    :: SSAE 16 SOC-2, PCI and HIPAA Compliant
    :: https://gipnetworks.com

where is the planet discussion board located

What Blu is saying is true about lots of staff being gone. Not sure on the firing, but I do know they are having a lot of issues. We have one server there that has been a nightmare for a month because they wouldn't push it to a higher lvl tech. After fighting for a month we finally get a real tech in and they discover both drives in a raid 1 array are going bad. You can imagine how happy I am right now when they miss outage windows like this morning and the server is just sitting dead.

TP used to be a great company, but for the last 5 months I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. They are where EV1 was 2 years ago after the new DC. Low on staff that is compentent.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    UrNode - Virtual Solutions
    http://www.UrNode.com