How long does sedo transfer take?

Anyone sold a domain through sedo.com? I got a bid on one, and accepted it. Not everything I had hoped for, but a fair offer none-the-less... sedo.com asked me to renew the domain (expires next month) and I did. From what I gather, the buyer now pays them (wire or paypal because of the amount), and then I transfer it to someone (buyer? sedo.com?) Once I do that, how long does it take for sedo.com to send the money. I chose to use paypal as the basis for getting paid, so technology wise it shouldn't be long... Just wondering if anyone had any experience with it?

I was trying to search, but our internet connection is so slow right now, I wasn't getting anywhere with it...

for me it was as short as 3 days and as long as 3 weeks

depends on the buyer if they paid fast enough to sedo or not
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

Originally posted by Bashar
    for me it was as short as 3 days and as long as 3 weeks

depends on the buyer if they paid fast enough to sedo or not
    My experience has been pretty much the same. Except the longest was 4 weeks.

It's always been about waiting on something regarding the buyer though.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Thanks

Well hopefully they'll be quick about it. I have to head down to Louisiana in the next couple of weeks and may be out of touch for a week or so... Closing on selling a house, date is up to the buyer's mtg company.

The could use enhancing the FAQs on there a bit.

For example, when they pay them, do I transfer the site to the buyer or them?

You transfer to the buyer.

Sedo will let you know that they have collected the funds from the buyer and ask you to transfer the domain at that time.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

i had cases where i transferthe domain to them and they deal with the transfer to the buyer and in some cases directly to the buyer

depending on the amount maybe
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

labgeek,

Where is your domain name registered at?
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

OpenSRS aka Tucows

One week for me.

My best experience with Sedo is just incredible: it took less than 45 hours from the time I got my first e-mail offer to when I got PayPal's payment notice. :thumbs up:
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

45 hours is pretty fast
    Domain Maven

It mainly depends how long it takes for the buyer to send the payment.

labgeek,

It should not take more than 6-9 days after the payment is received

Well, we're on day 3 now. We're at the waiting for payment step. Wonder if they're doing the wire transfer option... Specifically it says:
    We have invoiced the buyer for the sale of your domain. As soon as the payment reaches our escrow account we will inform you and begin the technical transfer.

if the buyer paying by wire it needs 3 - 7 days since Sedo's bank account is in germany (unless its only for europe/middle east customers)

if he is paying with paypal its fast (once i got 26K invoice paid via paypal by the buyer)

labgeek,

If you can provide me with the domain name in the private, I can have a look.

As for Wire Transfer it also depends where the buyer is located. If he/she is located in U.S. or Germany the payment should appear on the statements in maximum 2-3 days. As for other countries it may take 6-7 working days.

maxo you're a rep. of sedo?

Bit of an update...

Got the email today that sedo has been paid and the seller has initiated a transfer request. I'm not at home, and I can't get to webmail from work, so I'll have to confirm it when I get there.

Was a litttle surprised that it couldn't go through the standard OpenSRS "Change Ownership" method through the manage.opensrs.net website. They're supposed to initiate a request to get it moved to Network Solutions according to the email. Whatever floats their boat...
    Last edited by Lagniappe-labgeek; 06-02-2005 at 12:58 PM.

labgeek,

I think you want to say, you got an E-mail indicating that the buyer initiated the transfer request and that you have to check your Administrative Contact E-mail address and make sure you receive it and approve.

Could you please explain what you mean with standard OpenSRS "Change Ownership" method?

Sedo does not initiate any transfer request. The buyer will initiate it from Network Solutions.

Correct, sedo sent an email that they have been paid. The buyer is supposed to initiate the transfer request. I'm not at a computer I can get to the email in question (no webmail and no pop mail from outside either).

Sorry for the confusion... "They" as I had used it was the buyer not sedo but I was lacking in making it clear. Though one message they (was it you maybe??) sent, had implied that they (sedo) could do they transfer but not in this case because it was registered at opensrs/tucows.

If you have a domain at Tucows/Opensrs it's attached to a profile (username/password). When you login to http://manage.opensrs.net, one of the options is
    Change Ownership of Domain
    You may create a new profile for this domain or move it to a different
    profile you own.
    From there it will let you create a new profile that let's the new owner login to just that domain and administer it. They (the new buyer) then have total control over the domain. It'd be easy for sedo to ask for this to be done, and give them (sedo) the new username/password. Then sedo has control over it, they could instantly validate that the transfer had taken place (by just logging in) and could transfer it to then new owner. The nice thing is that 1) sedo knows the domain is transferred right then and 2) the new owner could move it to any registrar they wanted, if they wanted to.
    Last edited by Lagniappe-labgeek; 06-02-2005 at 04:03 PM.

labgeek,

That's just great. If there is such possibility, please check your Private message I have just sent to you and follow the instructions.

The transaction will be concluded tomorrow for your side, if the information you stated is correct.

Good luck

Just FYI for everyone else...

My part is now done, and I've been paid... The longest part of the transaction was because it was a foreign purchaser doing a wire transfer for the payment. Maxo has been most helpful with the transaction. Thanks!

I wouldn't hesitate one bit to sell other domains there, and in fact I've listed a couple of others already.

I am glad that the issue has been resolved labgeek.

Good luck with selling your domain names.