1and1.com report - pretty good

1and1.com - a positive experience, so far...

I was reluctant to go with 1and1.com for my main website due to some bad reports in here but their low prices got the best of me. Ordered the Root Server III package which gives you a P4 3ghz, 120gb HD, and 2GB of RAM for $119/mo plus $99 setup. It's something like $100 less than other sites, hard to pass up and I needed a faster box right away. I had looked at them a few weeks ago but they had a "2 week wait" notice posted for the Root III, which isn't there now.

Anyway, paid and got the server delivered in about 2 days which was acceptable. Thier online CP is pretty good, all the server details you need are easy to find online. Logged into PLESK and found that it wasn't liscenced yet, nor could I reach the licence server. Had to call in but I was on the phone for less than 5 minutes, which is pretty amazing compared to what I'm used to. The guy just had to unblock some ports and then I was able to licence it. Installed my domain, routed DNS to the new IP (you get only one)... then had to wait almost a full 24 hours for propagation. Because the servers are located in Germany, it turns out, which I should have known (if I would have investigated the company a bit better)... but didn't.

I was worried about access times and delivery being slow given that it's so far away - I'm in the US along with a good portion of my users - but it hasn't been an issue so far. Up for about 3 days now and satisfied with the speed. It's much faster than my other server, a 2.4Ghz celeron with 512mb, at iPower.com.

I havn't had to make any tickets yet with 1and1 so I don't know how good or bad that's going to be. No tickets is fine with me.

I've had a difficult time in the past with iPower (awful service) so this has been a nice change of pace. Hopefully it stays that way...

Austin

1and1 are one of the biggest out there so they have really good support. I only have a few domains there so my experience with them is very limited but from what experience I have had with their support is all good.
    I would of gotten a dedicated server there but they dont do cpanel.
    My Blog - www.Bakie.net
    My Entertainment site - www.SpudMud.com

I found the support really good. That might be just for domains. I was replied to within a few minutes.
    My Blog - www.Bakie.net
    My Entertainment site - www.SpudMud.com

The server you purchased is located in germany?
    So much for using them for gaming

The single server I manage from them is located in NY, and pings from other providers with excellent networks is around 10-15. From ohio (it goes to level3 in chicago first) I get around 50ms, and from texas (at savvis) I get 40ish ms. I certainly like their network. I'll have to see about their support.

Originally posted by adb22791
    The server you purchased is located in germany?
    So much for using them for gaming
    The 1&1 datacenter which houses our game server is in NYC, and gives excellent pings for east-coast USA. Reliability has been great, prices are good. Haven't had any support problems.

ya that price is nice, i'm thinking of getting a server there.

I wish ServerMatrix would give similar pricing.
    Buying domains with serious traffic, PM me

i don't know. i have their share hosting account and my website sometime will go out because of their server is down and the web email suck big time. it take at least 1-2 days to respone any support request.

i like theplanet and LT. both are my top choice.

yeah, even though I don't use support much. BUt sometimes, when I need their help, i need it fast.

so I guess spending the extra might be a better way to go.
    Buying domains with serious traffic, PM me