Starting a Website...

I'm starting a website...but I'm kinda 3rd grade- retardo group...

I was wondering what the best service to use for webhosting and domain name registration. I dont need to much space maybe about 500MB to 1G...bandwith - decent...

I tried Yahoo Small Biz but I wanted to pay less ...mysite aint that big...

any suggestions?

So.....given your rates...i take it that should be in the reange of what I should be paying?

You could always use the host quote on WHT to find what you need. Just be sure to research the host before signing up

Thumbs up

Originally posted by WireNine
    You could always use the host quote on WHT to find what you need. Just be sure to research the host before signing up

I'm a little slow ....whats WHT.....I'm assuming its Web Hosting Talk....just cant find the "quotes"

BTW yu guys been great thanks for the advice thus far

http://www.spaceforhost.com

10 MB Space and 1 GB BW with PHP /MYSQL ETC

for $6 / PER YEAR.

Originally posted by bwoy1der
    I'm a little slow ....whats WHT.....I'm assuming its Web Hosting Talk....just cant find the "quotes"

BTW yu guys been great thanks for the advice thus far
    Yes, WHT is Web Hosting Talk. At the top mouse over 'Find a Host' and you'll find 'Host Quote'.

Best of luck with your search

You just need 'shared' hosting!

Your off to the right start by searching here. I experienced Yahoo Domains and that service was terrible.

Look around here and see if anyones plans or packages look attractive.

Test out support before hand, good luck!
    GenerousWebHosting.com Home of Generous George the Red Monster.
    24/7 Live Chat Support - 99.9% Uptime - 30 Day Money Back Policy

The majority of shared hosts will suit your needs, just make sure you dig deep and look around to make sure you end up with a reliable one.

Since this will be your first site, you will want a company that you can grow with.

Try a company that offers a money back guarantee, and one that has a simple to use control panel, and if you find it useful, a site builder.

That way everything will be easy for you. You should be expecting to pay between $5 and $10 a month for such service.
    Webair Internet Development Inc.
    Shared Hosting Managed Dedicated Servers SEO
    1.866.WEBAIR.1 www.webair.com 24/7/365 Support Adult Friendly
    My comments do not reflect the views of the company or its management.

If it is a new site, it will probably take you some time to develop it. So I would suggest you get a tiny account for now and develop your site, and upgrade later when your visitors increase.

Originally posted by Wazeh
    If it is a new site, it will probably take you some time to develop it. So I would suggest you get a tiny account for now and develop your site, and upgrade later when your visitors increase.

this exactly what I want to do. After I completely develop the first site (I'm about 85%) then I want to publish another. They both total less that 500 MB if I need more, then I'll upgrade....I need someone to host both for about 5-7/month.

whats a good domain registration service?....
    and what should I be seeking from these companies?
    what should I be seeking from the "host" company?

If its convenient for you get a domain from your webhost, only thing to keep cautious about is making sure the domain is registered to you not your host.

you should be seeking a host w/ money back guarantee, control panel, php, and mysql. I would check up on the host here on WHT and send an email to their support to check the promptness in their replies.

this exactly what I want to do. After I completely develop the first site (I'm about 85%) then I want to publish another. They both total less that 500 MB if I need more, then I'll upgrade....I need someone to host both for about 5-7/month.

whats a good domain registration service?....
    and what should I be seeking from these companies?
    what should I be seeking from the "host" company?
    Domains:
    An absolute must is a control panel that allows you to change nameservers- No questions.
    If you don't have this you will find it difficult to move hosts.

Hosting:
    You should be seeking.......
    Among what suits your needs

A reasonable uptime- try looking at what network they are on, and how long they have been in business. All hosts will give you a 99.9% uptime guarantee- but 99.9% of the time it's not worth the virtual paper it is written on.

Support team that you like. Are the response you get back friendly- are you looking for a personal support approach, or a 'proffesional' (if thats what you call it) approach.

Software/Features- what control panel do they use? What OS- can it run all the scripting languages you require. Will they let you use MySQL, Cron, shell access (doubt you'll need shell).

I'm sure theres a lot more that people will chip in.
    Andrew Thomas

Originally posted by thomas7
    Domains:
    An absolute must is a control panel that allows you to change nameservers- No questions.
    If you don't have this you will find it difficult to move hosts.

Hosting:
    You should be seeking.......
    Among what suits your needs

Software/Features- what control panel do they use? What OS- can it run all the scripting languages you require. Will they let you use MySQL, Cron, shell access (doubt you'll need shell).

this is where you loose me ...not sure what SQL.Cron is....and for the control panel is that an add on ( like a prrogram ) ??

I'm running XP professional...(i'm a net retard )

this is where you loose me ...not sure what SQL.Cron is....and for the control panel is that an add on ( like a prrogram ) ??

I'm running XP professional...(i'm a net retard )
    Ah OK.

The OS you run is not important. Just because you are on Windows XP doesn't mean you have to choose a Windows Server.

There are 3 main types of Server OS.
    You can choose to have your site hosted on:

Windows (windows server 2000,2003 etc)
    Linux (type of OS, common distributions are Fedora/Redhat, Mandrake, Suse, CentOS)
    BSD (freebsd,openbsd).

For you, since you are not aware of mysql etc, it will no difference to you whatsoever which OS you go for. Linux is cheaper normally since it's free.

MySQL is a database (like Access, without the GUI, but phpmyadmin is a gui for it)
    Cron is scheduled tasks
    Shell is the remote command line basically

Control panel is used to manage you hosting (email accounts, passwords etc).

You upload your site either using an FTP client (try cute ftp or smart ftp), or using an online ftp client (normally inside the control panel).

There you go, crash course in webhosting :-)
    Andrew Thomas

So me getting Linux is OK?

and would I be able to choose the FTP i use?
    isnt that determined by the host....?

Hi,

Linux is fine.

No, FTP client is what you use- use any you want.

They will be using an FTP server, like pureftp etc, you don't need to worry about that.
    Andrew Thomas

I thnik I'm gonna go or it !.....

Well good luck!

Who did you choose?
    Andrew Thomas

Originally posted by thomas7
    Well good luck!

Who did you choose?
    dunno yet....might be you T...I'm figuring youre easy to find..

A host who posts on WHT is advantegous to the client.

Before choosing any host (especially for first timers) do some research. Look into customer feedback, downtimes and any other tidbits you can find, then make a judgement based on what you discover, if the price and features outweigh the disadvantages, go for it.

Yes, look into customer feedback. And don't just look at the feedback published by the hosts themselves....
    I've seen them steal "feedback" from each other, just changing the names!
    There are some that I belive are reliable hosts, but they are just some examples.
    Your starting budget sounds reasonable. Good Luck!
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

If the host has an online forum, check that out too. See how they handle customer's question. Be aware though, some hosts make it a habit to remove negative posts on their forums. I think that's shaddy practice. You should look out for that.

Brother don't take your domain name with the company you host with untill and unless you completely have faith on it. Prevention is better than cure.

Originally posted by wire
    Brother don't take your domain name with the company you host with untill and unless you completely have faith on it. Prevention is better than cure.
    A lot of companies, ourselves included, have a full domain control panel.
    You don't need hosting to have a domain with us, we have lots of clients with just domains, and hosting elsewhere.
    Just make sure they are registering the domains themselves, lots of hosts take the money and go and register it somewhere else.
    Ours are registered through our directI interface, so the client can always control their domain directly through directI if needed.
    Andrew Thomas

If you're buying your domain through a hsot - be sure to do a "whois" lookup to see if you are the registered owner and the billing contact. If you bought the name for a year and the host is the one receiving the renewal notice you'll lose the domain if it isn't paid for next year. If you switch hosts and they are the one getting the notice - you could have trouble at renewal time.

If your domain goes down for non payement, you lose your hard won traffic and search engine rankings and getting things straightened out can be a real PITA.

I have seen this happening many a times. The hosting company who has registered the domain name with you has its own contact details in the whois of the domain name. Once you plan to shift your hosting package they won't provide control over your domain name easily and by the time your fight with them is over your domain name get expired and invariably you ending up renewing with them.

Wire

Nighthub.com