I'm thinking of starting a hosting business.....

G'day Hosting Experts,

I would like to get a dedicated server, for my own websites as my demand is pretty intense (had one host shut me down cause I used too much band and too much load on the server). But my space requirements are not very much so I was thinking I would like to sell the rest of the space. This gives me an excuse to get the best server I can .

BUT I'm by no means a techie at all and to think about creating other peoples accounts blah blah technical issues blah blah complaints blah blah etc doesn't do much for me. The only part that interests me is getting paid for the use of the server .

Does anybody know of any solutions where I can get my dedicated server and then get somebody else to handle the menial tasks of web hosting?

Thanks for your advice.

Sincerely,

Paul Kleinmeulman
    Australia

When you put it that way... it's sounds dodgy . I like to think of it as a win win situation.

Of course there would be some sort of agreement, such as a 50/50 split (after expenses) or similar.

I'm open to offers and suggestions.

Sincerely,

Paul Kleinmeulman

Australia

Are you going to be paying full expenses even if the person you get to do this isnt making many sales?
    Neil McGeehan
    Reseller Web Hosting - At YouGotHosting, we provide affordable, reliable, dependable web hosting.
    Providing quality service since 2002

Yes, I will pay full expenses.

I plan on offering the hosting to my own members/list/contacts but expect the other partner to market/make sales/answer sales questions as well.

Sincerely,

Paul Kleinmeulman
    Australia

Any way you could resell accounts on a dedicated box, and count on the guy you're reselling for to handle the rest and cut you a check each month? You wouldn't own the box, but I'm not sure you'd need to...

Get VPS, host your site only, and save us all the headake down the road when your server fails and your customers come complaining to WHT...

Originally posted by JHosts
    So you want to someone to do your work while you get paid? Hmmmm

I wouldn't mind that either... interested JHosts?
    Ok, what I would do is get a VPS.
    You could go ahead and get a billing solution, a control panel, a sys admin, and a managed server and outsource your support for, hmmmmm around $400 a month!!!!
    Now isn't it easier to just use a VPS and put up a paypal donation button?

Well you only live once, so I decided to give it a go (liquid web) and came to an agreement with a professional/expert.

Thanks for all your advice.

SeeServers, that is one prophecy that won't come true, it's just not how I work.

Sincerely,

Paul Kleinmeulman

Re: I'm thinking of starting a hosting business.....

Originally posted by kleinmeulman
    BUT I'm by no means a techie at all and to think about creating other peoples accounts blah blah technical issues blah blah complaints blah blah etc doesn't do much for me. The only part that interests me is getting paid for the use of the server .
    If this is how you feel about it, maybe you may want to look into an investor type relationship.

Everyone wants a web hosting business to get rich... it takes lots of time and isn't easy (comon you devil advocates, fight me on this).

Take 2-3 months, get a business plan. Register your business. Design your site, hire your staff, setup your guidelines and policies for users and staff. Fire up the servers then get your merchant account so you can start accepting payments.

NOTHING BUT MONEY AFTER THIS. Take your first paycheck, cash it in ones and throw it into a large room. Then you can swim in the sea of cash which the hosting business has brought you in your first month. Soon you will be on the beach with your wireless laptop managing your site living the good life... and when you see me in my basic house, and my basic car... feel sympathetic for me.

Good luck