Arrow Colo Review

Here's a one month review of

<b>Facilities: 9/10</b>

Uplink: 10 Mbps Port
    Network: United Layer

Carrier Neutral Telecom Hotel...

<b> PreSales: 7/10</b>

Tom, from WotanWorks has been extremely helpful.

The process itself needs a little more refinement. I'm a firm believer in the up-and-comers which is what made me choose (not to mention the great pricing for colocation).

You can tell that there are some rough spots in the business processes, mainly paperwork, but no doubt with the network portion...

Response Times vary from within the day to 1-2 day responses, mainly for sales inquiries more than support.

<b>Performance 8.5-9/10</b>

I was running a Condition Zero server with pings from 17-30ms 21-25ms stable w. pingbooster 1 from my local cable connection. People with dsl were able to get anywhere from 25ms - 35ms stable.

I was able to test network connectivity speed with iperf:

Between my two colocated servers.

Control 10/100:
    [ 4] 0.0-10.0 sec 112 MBytes 94.1 Mbits/sec
    [ 4] 0.0-10.0 sec 112 MBytes 94.1 Mbits/sec

To a colocated server in Arizona.

[ 3] 0.0-10.0 sec 11.2 MBytes 9.39 Mbits/sec
    [ 3] 0.0-10.0 sec 11.2 MBytes 9.40 Mbits/sec
    --- ping statistics ---
    17 packets transmitted, 17 received, 0% packet loss, time 16164ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 20.785/21.196/21.811/0.324 ms, pipe 2

To a colocated server located at Layered Tech

[ 3] 0.0-10.0 sec 4.65 MBytes 3.89 Mbits/sec
    [ 3] 0.0-10.0 sec 4.66 MBytes 3.90 Mbits/sec
    --- *********** ping statistics ---
    17 packets transmitted, 17 received, 0% packet loss, time 16151ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 66.019/66.397/66.772/0.264 ms, pipe 2

<b> Summary: 8/10 </b>

All in all pretty good but needs work primarily in the business area.

If you know what you're doing and don't require much assistance but are looking for a stable network, I would recommend WotanWorks... Primarily because he's on ***********'s network which seems pretty good so far...

Knowledgable about *nix systems and his network. Tom practically lives in the DC. Flexible with arrangements and he is a personable guy.

Target users: Power users, developers, generally people who know their sh** and users who ask questions infrequently...

One of my main concerns is expansion and the more people he takes on the more the network stability may suffer... I'll report later if his skills and his network are both indeed scalable... I'm cautiously optimistic. The ability is there, there's no doubt about that...

Another concern is the semi-lack of business acuity. Granted the talent is there... Running a business takes much more than talent... As I said before, I'm willing to take a caluclated risk, just as people have taken the chance with me in the past...

Will review again at 3 months.

Just wanted to provide an update... I've used wotanworks since I started colocation and Tom has proven that he knows what he's doing. I have experienced < 1 hr. downtime since the time I started and most was just due to a slight snafu on my part.

Wotanworks has since left, but Tom took customer service to the next level by making the handoff smooth and with very minimal hiccups. Overall, I was very satisfied with the service and bummed that someone so skilled is leaving the business. The network itself has performed beyond all my expectations. One of my initial concerns was network traffic congestion on a shared network, I was cautiously optimistic and I'm happy to say that congestion was never a problem...

Ping time on the new network is very good and I couldn't have asked for more, except maybe a key just for comfort.
    Share Camera phone pictures & video in Real-Time
    Buy, Sell, & Trade Internet Traffic