space and bandwidth usage

hi.. i'm planning to create a student community for our school. i'm looking for some good webhost, but then since there are lots of offers, i didn't know what to choose. one problem is that i'm not sure with the bandwidth size. what do you think would i have to choose? i mean for a student website like for example, having around 500+ unique visits a day, and the website that includes a portal script and forum and blog for each account user, how much space and bandwidth do i need to get? thank you very much

Hi,
    If you are just starting off and you don't know what type of traffic you will get for a while, I would say start small and make sure that the host you go with will allow you to upgrade or downgrade your plan anytime and won't charge you for doing so. Also make sure that your host provides daily backups for you in case something gets messed up and you need a full website and database restore. Their are quite a few hosts here that can meet your needs. Good luck with your search.

A general benchmark would be to take the average size in kilobytes per page x average page view per person x average number of visitors per day.

So if your page size is 10kb per page and each person view 10 pages and you get 500 visitors a day then you will need

10kb x 10 pages x 500 visitors x 30 days = 1,500,000 kilobytes or 1,500mb or 1.5gb of bandwidth a month.

Generally at the offset, one would not know how many exact visitors you get, usually a new site would get very little and grows along the way, so it would be good to work with a webhost which allows you to upgrade plans within the month and also offers some sort of web logs statistics so you know where you stand. It be best to opt for the lowest plan and then upgrade along the way so that you will not be overspending unnecessarily.

Amsy,

Both Ken and Eddy have afforded you great advice. I would lean towards the start small theory as well. Make sure the host you choose, will let you upgrade, does not charge any setup fees, has a money back guarantee and good support.

Lots of those here at WHT. Look around and search some past threads on those you are interested in. See what people have to say about them.

Good luck in your search, and let us know how you make out!

- HN Mike
    ||| Mike Bowers - Marketing Director
    ||| atOmicVPS LTD
    ||| OnApp Powered Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting ► [Shared] ► [Reseller] ► [VPS]
    ||| Follow the atOmicVPS Blog

I'd say just a medium-sized shared hosting would suit you fine, but make sure to get it from a reputable provider.
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Including an RSS feed that you can syndicate!
    Unlimited vs. Unmetered bandwidth

Based on your description, I suspect 10GB of data transfer and 1Gb of space will be plenty in the begining, and you can get this for $10 and under.

Just to make sure, prior to signup, discuss with the host the possibility of upgrading your plan as needed (most hosts should have no problem with this).

As for finding a good host, reading customer reviews should help you in that department: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search.php?s=

Good luck!

Get a small plan. Most "small" plans offer plenty of resources these days. If your site overgrows its plan, u can always upgrade easily.

geez thanks for all your advices. its really a big help for me. thanks very much.

as others have said you will find some good Hosts on this site

Originally posted by ldcdc
    Based on your description, I suspect 10GB of data transfer and 1Gb of space will be plenty in the begining, and you can get this for $10 and under.

Just to make sure, prior to signup, discuss with the host the possibility of upgrading your plan as needed (most hosts should have no problem with this).

As for finding a good host, reading customer reviews should help you in that department: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search.php?s=

Good luck!
    I doubt that you will need 1GB of space, you'll probably end up using a lot less, but if you choose to go with 1GB, it will give you room to expand.

I also doubt you will need 1GB space at outset; however most hosts are very space-generous nowadays and often offer that much even on entry-level packages.
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

however most hosts are very space-generous nowadays and often offer that much even on entry-level packages.
    Which was my reasoning in saying what I said.

however most hosts are very space-generous nowadays and often offer that much even on entry-level packages.
    In my experience such hosts either oversell (assume you won't be using the space), or their webspace is low quality. It's not about generosity.

Originally posted by WebMate
    In my experience such hosts either oversell (assume you won't be using the space), or their webspace is low quality. It's not about generosity.

not allways true we add more resources when needed. as in any comany you are not going to go anywhere if you are not willing to spend a little bit

Originally posted by WebMate
    I think that you're interpreting the term "generous" way too literally. Generous used in that context simply means that they're making a large offering, not that they are actually being generous.