Do you buy posters?

Once again I come to WHT for every question I have in the world...

So here's my question... Do you guys still buy posters? Be it a movie poster, music, anything... do you buy them? If you do still buy them, where are you getting them from?

I ask because a friend of mine just started selling posters at a mall (kiosk)... right now he sells them all for $5 each. He is doing good, but he asked me if he should start selling online. I honestly had no answer for him. If he was to sell online he would have to worry about shipping, getting someone to run the site, etc... just sounded like a pain to me. But I am checking for him anyway...

Would you buy posters off the internet? (I dont think I have bought a poster in 3 years and I am 26)

Should I suggest that he gives it a shot or tell him to stick to the mall?

I don't buy posters, but I do know there are several sites where you can do so. There are tons of sites selling movie posters, if nothing else: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

When I did buy them, I bought a few off of eBay. Perhaps he could buy in bulk and sell them individually there?

Hope this helped.

If it has a girl dressed in skimpy clothes or relates to one of my hobbies then I might purchase it. Other then that I would not purchase posters. I might buy them off the internet if the price and shipping where right.

Jeff
    Xoopiter.com:: The new standard in Web Hosting

I haven't bought a poster since I was a College Freshman about 19 years ago (yikes!).

Google is a good place to find people that sell posters online.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

subigo, why not sell posters online? There's such a low overhead..

However, how will he tell people about the site? When they stop at the kiosk?

Originally posted by DanX
    subigo, why not sell posters online? There's such a low overhead..

However, how will he tell people about the site? When they stop at the kiosk?
    That's what I'm saying... the problem is this... I know if I tell him he should sell online he is going to try and get me to do all of the work for him. He's the kind of guy that can sell anything to you face to face, but when it comes to a computer... well, he called me the other day telling me his pc was broke. I went and checked it out and he just had his firewall blocking IE.......

On one hand I don't want to tell him not to do it... on the other hand, I dont want to be his 24/7 answer man.

subigo, tell him it isn't worth it. I can almost guarantee you'll get stuck with the dirty work, and you'll come back here in a month complaining that you can't bring yourself to tell him to just shut down the site.

The owner of allposters.com lives down the street from me
    I don't buy posters online though, I don't really buy anything online save for hosting.

I would urge your friend not to try to start selling posters online, simply because there is so much competition.
    If somebody searches for posters on google, his site will be far behind all the others. The only real, strong, chance he would have is if he sold them on ebay.
    Haven't been on WHT for 6 years!

I dont buy posters... I however want to buy one.. but cant find a good store here in our town to buy a poster i like... i like posters to be unique..
    www.DefyStudios.com ___Interactive Design

Originally posted by jasong
    I would urge your friend not to try to start selling posters online, simply because there is so much competition.
    If somebody searches for posters on google, his site will be far behind all the others. The only real, strong, chance he would have is if he sold them on ebay.
    I couldn't agree more. Online stores seem so easy - cheap money. Sure there is low overhead but it is the advertising that would kill you. Online advertising is less about technical smarts (takes a little but not much) and more about being savvy. The profit margins for posters are already low. The reason a site like allposters.com can make money is because he is dominant in natural searches. Because he doesn't have to pay hardly anything for customers to come to him. Imagine though if your friend starts doing PPC ads and has to pay $1-$10 for every customer (maybe 1 sale out of every 20-50 visitors) then you're talking about it cutting into his bottom line. Add billing, fraud, shipping, and other things into the mix and it is just really not very easy.

I'm not trying to dissuade anybody from trying to make money online but just keep in mind that it takes some really deliberate planning and know-how to succeed. The kiosk in the mall is perfect. He probably gets more foot traffic and "eyes on product" for a reasonable price (kiosk rent) than he would trying to compete with the big boys online.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

I don't really buy posters, but this thread has influenced me to go buy one lol.

I make my own My EOS 350D with a macro lens takes the most amazing pictures..I hand them in to a friend @ Epson and he prints them for me in huge *** formats. Put'em up in a frame and it's lookin luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuvely
    * Losers make excuses - winners make it happen *
    The only way to discover the limits of the possibilities is to go beyond them into the impossible.

No I dont buy them, I normally get the free, and sell them on EBay for profit. =D

I must admit i've bought a few posters before. I have a few Pink Floyd posters in my garage. "The Wall", "Animals", Darkside of the Moon", and a few rare Storm Thorgorson posters.

And ofcourse, like all Floyd fans should have, a 30" x 20" The Pink Floyd Naked Ladies picture. I don't find it distasteful, and its a work of art
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / We Filter out the Bad Leads and Send you the Good ones!
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / Automated Lead Funnel Service

Acctually come to think of it, I have bought some Bruce Lee ones.

maybe he should set up a shop on Ebay and sell them
    Much easier ...no need for hosting, domain, and managing the website, etc.

Originally posted by DreamLevel
    I make my own My EOS 350D with a macro lens takes the most amazing pictures..I hand them in to a friend @ Epson and he prints them for me in huge *** formats. Put'em up in a frame and it's lookin luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuvely
    Yeah but that's only cool if you can get Anna Kournikova to come over and pose for a few shots for you to make a poster.
    Rich

I dont buy posters, if I get a poster I would of got it for free....