ok whats the best root to take

ok after finally decide to upgrade php i decide to go with 4.4 from PHP 4.3.2 do not want to touch 5.

There are just too many different ways of upgrading it that i have come accross anyone with a very simple and str8 faward way of upgrading to 4.4 from PHP 4.3.2 on a redhat ensim box, also will this break anything like current scripts i have on the box?

i found this one on wht

Upgrading php

#cd /
    #mkdir src
    #cd /src
    #wget http://us2.php.net/get/php-4.3.10.t...rom/this/mirror
    #tar xvfz php-4.3.10.tar.gz
    #cd /src/php-4.3.10
    #./configure --prefix=/usr --with-apache=../usr/local/apache
    --with-config-file-path=/usr/local/apache/conf --disable-debug --enable-safe-mode
    --enable-inline-optimization --with-gnu-ld --enable-memory-limit --with-mysql --with-pgsql
    #make
    #make install

i am assuming that src directory making is the /usr/local/src/ directory or does it matter where it is wget to?

and what about the ./configure options there

also will i need to uninstall current php on box?

and nothing would be best than upgrading so i can revert back to this version if after upgrading its all screw.

anyone at all with any help its appreciated

thanks in advance

may i add version of ensim which is ensim 4 and apache 2 also

and also on a second thought and was also recommend by someone else to upgrade via rpm

any take on that?

RPM is typically the best approach to take on redhat systems you just need to watch out that ensim will support the newer package/packages/dependancy's

which is 1 of the reasons i dont use a control panel except for webmin as backup

anyone with a little how to on upgrading php via rpm in other words the best way to upgrade php via rpm and also if anyone knows if ensim will support 4.4

use the up2date ( up2date --help ) feature ( if its redhat ) or if your using a redhat clone like centos use yum ( yum --help )

i tried using the up2date upgrade syntax was incorrect anyone with the correct syntax on how to upgrade php using the up2date upgrade

and also is using this option upgrading by rpm?

yes its upgrading by rpm try up2date --help to get correct syntax i haven't used a offical redhat product in years so the exact syntax i forgot up2date --help should tell you though

I just finished an install of LAMP and got hang on PHP5 because I had an older libxml file... was hairy to replace with lots of deps so??? so I tried PHP 4.4 and it went perfectly and works fine so far? enjoy,
    piratebiter

you will break alot of ensim doing that..

find the gpan rpms on ev1server forums and use them. ensim is very picky.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance