Nameserver, I don't understand

At my registrant I register a domain and connect it to their nameserver. Clear to me.

At my server, I add the domain and connect it to an IP. Also clear.

But how does the nameserver knows where to find my domain? I think he doesn't know my server or domain IP. He only knows my domain name.

Re: Nameserver, I don't understand

Originally posted by Leo Krans
    At my registrant I register a domain and connect it to their nameserver.
    THEIR nameserver?
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

the nameserver has a pointer of the hostname to the IP, thats how you find the server.

ofcourse while the domain is POINTED to the respective nameserver
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

I think you need to set A RECORD if you have your own web server. Set A RECORD with your Web server's IP address to their own nameservers.
    IndoUS Hosting Quality IT Services since 2004
    Shared Hosting Reseller Hosting Dedicated Servers Domain Names
    Custom Web Development Mobile Application Development SEO
    Custom E-Commerce Solutions, Sports Portals, Health Care - Health Tourism Portals

San Mateo, California
    Your name registrar's name server has your domain name and ip mapping info in what is called the A-Record. You need to register your web server's ip into your registrar's dns servers. has a very flexible admin tool for setting every record yourself (if you know what you're doing). - Online product price comparison shopping

Compare/check prices at | Affordable dedicated servers