Welcome to the World Trade Center Jewelry Recovery website.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/wtcproperty/home.html

Our goal as members of the Property Clerk Division of the New York City Police Department is to return the property recovered as a result of the World Trade Center disaster to its rightful owner. To that end, this website has been developed to assist you in notifying the Property Clerk Division of the possibility that you or a loved one may be the rightful owner of jewelry which was recovered and safeguarded by the Property Clerk Division.
    I dont think after all this time that ANY JEWERLY would be recovered,but HEY,i wish them the best of luck

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

Most precious metals would have been melted ... and the best they could do IMHO is find like a diamond ... but who's going to know to whom it belongs
    ServGrid - www.servgrid.com - Affordable and Reliable SSD Cloud Solutions
    Premium 10G Network, 2(N+1) Powerplant and SSD Performance
    Web, Reseller, KVM VPS, Storage and Private Cloud Hosting
    Click here to see our SSD Benchmarks!

Well @ least they are trying i guess,i dunno.....I dunno if they will come up w/anything......

its a gigantic waste of tax money ... might as well give that money to victim's families
    ServGrid - www.servgrid.com - Affordable and Reliable SSD Cloud Solutions
    Premium 10G Network, 2(N+1) Powerplant and SSD Performance
    Web, Reseller, KVM VPS, Storage and Private Cloud Hosting
    Click here to see our SSD Benchmarks!

YES,this i agree with

Originally posted by The Broadband Man
    Most precious metals would have been melted ... and the best they could do IMHO is find like a diamond ... but who's going to know to whom it belongs
    Really where did you come up with that then why do you assume the metals would melt, from what i remember there wasnt an inferno the buildings colapsed, ok after a fire mid towers but there would be a lot of stuff to be found not least from the jumpers.

And as for who it belongs to there are family members who can identify items like wedding rings necklaces and other such things, I can think of nothing better than after losing a loved one in such a way than to recover a peice of jewelery thought lost and beloved of the person lost.

As for a waste of money i doubt if the amount spent is a vast sum and would not make much of a dent in other projects helping the berieved.

Sounds dumb to me. A real waste of money and time.
    My Blog - www.Bakie.net
    My Entertainment site - www.SpudMud.com

Originally posted by The Broadband Man
    Believe it or not, there was a -lot- of jewelry recoverd, among mounds of other personal items that somehow escaped destruction.

-B

Gold melts at around 1064 Degrees Celsius.
    Silver melts at around 970 Degrees Celsius.
    Platinum melts at around 1900 Degrees Celsius

The HIGHEST temperature you'll get in an office/house fire will be around 850 Degrees Celsius.

Aviation fuel burns at around 950 Degrees Celsius

Therefore, the precious metals would NOT have melted. So jewellery would have survived.

interesting numbers :O

how'd you find them out?
    All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.

Mine?
    Well I studied Chemistry for about 10 years, so I was able to recall the figures about melting points from my long-term memory. As for the information about fires, again, they're from information gained over the years.

Also, I seem to recall they recovered a large number of computer hard drives from the rubble, and extracted valuable commercial data from them for the owners. So much for HD's being fragile!

Paul