MS Exchange - Backup/Restore?

Hi,

Haven't done this before so just wondering if someone knows the basic process you have to go through.

I've got a Windows DC that's still booting but constantly falling over, It's due a reload anyway so I'm going to just reload it. I'm building up another DC to just grab all the active directory stuff and pull it across, however Exchange has me puzzled.

To restore do I just install Exchange and then restore the mail store using the normal process, or is there more to it?

Thanks,

Dan

Is Exchange running on your DC or is that a seperate machine?
    Mike @ Xiolink.com
    http://www.xiolink.com 1-877-4-XIOLINK
    Advanced Managed Microsoft Hosting
    "Your data... always within reach"

Exchange is actually on the same DC.

I'm aware of the process for restoring mailboxes from backup, however I've never dealt with restoring from scratch.

Dan

Originally posted by RazorBlue - Dan
    Exchange is actually on the same DC.

I'm aware of the process for restoring mailboxes from backup, however I've never dealt with restoring from scratch.

Dan
    Backup everything in the \Program Files\Exchsrvr\mdbdata to another drive (or tape, or whatever.....)

Rebuild your server and then install exchange. When you install exchange, throw the /disasterrecovery switch.

You will be prompted for the mail store (which is in \Program Files\Exchsrvr\mdbdata) and it will automatically pull over all of the AD settings, if you have another DC in the forrest.

A suggestion, don't make your EX server a DC as well.

Sirius

edit: Good link: http://www.techgalaxy.net/Docs/Excha...20recovery.htm
    Last edited by sirius; 05-22-2005 at 11:24 AM.
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.