Server Recommandation: PowerEdge Rackservers are good?

Hello all,

I am about to order some 20 servers for Colocaiton.

And I was inclined towards Dell PowerEdge 750, 1425SC, 1850 servers for their pricing and Dell's brand name & support, and I want everyone's opinion here on Dell Servers, specially from those who have PowerEdge servers.

How good are they? Any troubles, Failures?
    Are they compatible with CentOS/CPanel

Anything else about them which I may be missing.

Thank you.

I've used the SC1425's and they're wonderful servers. Compatible with any OS.
    Fork Networking - 1995-2010+
    Colocation & Dedicated Hosting
    West Coast, 99.999% uptime.
    <www.forked.net>

They work great, and their support (at least here in Mexico) is great.

I just ordered a dell poweredge 1850 myself. ordered friday so far no order ackwoledgement or anything but however, it supposedly can take up to 3 days grmbl.

The reason i ordered from Dell is because of all the recommendations, great support and fantastic prices every one has told me about

I like the 1850 chassis with its redundant power supplies.

When I bought a new server I went Dell. They're just fine.

I would say it is a good decision. Are you getting drac card with these servers. There was an issue with some of the OS.

Thank You
    David.K
    WebHostingChat Where you Discuss & Chat about webhosting.
    DatacenterTalk DataCenterTalk.com (DCT) is a leading resources site for the Data Center community.

Can someone will tell me the benefit of DRAC card? I have it on my servers from PLANET but all I found is some sensor controls in it, nothing else?Am I missing something or a lot, please tell me.

Re: Server Recommandation: PowerEdge Rackservers are good?

Originally posted by HenryJ
    Hello all,

I am about to order some 20 servers for Colocaiton.

And I was inclined towards Dell PowerEdge 750, 1425SC, 1850 servers for their pricing and Dell's brand name & support, and I want everyone's opinion here on Dell Servers, specially from those who have PowerEdge servers.

How good are they? Any troubles, Failures?
    Are they compatible with CentOS/CPanel

Anything else about them which I may be missing.

Thank you.
    Dell has good support, I had to call them out a few times and all times they were great (next-day service if you have Enterprise Contract).

The hardware itself has given me compatibility issues w/ older versions of Linux (RH 7.1, 7.3, and even 9), it was very frustrating at times. If I didn't have compatibility issues, I would back them 100%.

Personally, I like Penguing Computing or SuperMicro servers. Both have given me AWESOME compatilibity w/ all Linux and FreeBSD that I've tried. As a plus, SuperMicro is the only brand that actually makes RAILS that MAKE SENSE and are EASY to put in the rack. I work @ Corporate Colo and I have to rail servers all the time. Dell rails are a nightmare, unfortunately. Penguin is better. SuperMicro is best.
    Garry Dolley @ ARP Networks | gdolley _at_ arpnetworks . com | #arpnetworks on Freenode | @arpnetworks, @bsdvps
    State of the art services, strong community and friendly support
    FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Linux VPS • ARP Metal™ Dedicated Servers • Colocation • IP Transit
    Native IPv6 • VNC Console • Tunnel VNC over SSH • Serial Console over SSH • DNS Manager

DRAC Card is used to get access to the server, it is like KVM overIP. It has a built in control for password and security.
    WebHostingChat Where you Discuss & Chat about webhosting.
    DatacenterTalk DataCenterTalk.com (DCT) is a leading resources site for the Data Center community.

For low end non-redundant rackmount server the 1425SC is a good chassis for the money, but if you're looking to use SCSI drives/raid/dual power/drac you definately will get more bang for your buck with a PE1850.

Upgrading the lower end 1425 model is often a waste compared to just using the 1850 model.

Question PowerEdge Rackservers compatibility?

Personally, I like Penguing Computing or SuperMicro servers. Both have given me AWESOME compatilibity w/ all Linux and FreeBSD that I've tried. As a plus, SuperMicro is the only brand that actually makes RAILS that MAKE SENSE and are EASY to put in the rack. I work @ Corporate Colo and I have to rail servers all the time. Dell rails are a nightmare, unfortunately. Penguin is better. SuperMicro is best.
    I suspect you may be biased about the importance of the rail system :-)

I am interested in buying a Dell Poweredge 1850 c/w ROMB and installing Centos and optionally cPanel. Has anyone managed to get Centos working with a Dell PE 1850 server?

BTW Garry I have also been looking at the Supermicro systems and was wondering which models you had experience with and/or would rate as near equivalent to a Dell Poweredge 1850? Do the Supermicro systems have anything equivalent to the Dell DRAC4 cards?
    Last edited by beekeeper; 07-19-2005 at 06:19 AM.

Re: Re: Server Recommandation: PowerEdge Rackservers are good?

Originally posted by garrycc
    As a plus, SuperMicro is the only brand that actually makes RAILS that MAKE SENSE and are EASY to put in the rack. I work @ Corporate Colo and I have to rail servers all the time. Dell rails are a nightmare, unfortunately. Penguin is better. SuperMicro is best.
    I can't comment on Penguin or SuperMicro, but saying Dell's rapid rails aren't easy? What could be easier about them... you don't need bolts or nuts for your rack... they snap in place quickly and easily... I've never had an issue.

I'm not a great fan of the 1850's still, plastic and cheap come to mind.. and the rails aren't as great as they are truly fixed.

You can have problems with any of the Dell rail kits if you haven't verified or tested a set on your rack to make sure it's the right length.

With that said the Rapid Rails are about as easy as it gets. Just snap them in and you're done. If you're not sure, only order a single kit, test it on your rack, then pick up the remainder.

As for CentOS on a PE1850, I was about to install it but haven't yet. I am currently running RH ES3 on two PE1850's with no problems and Dell does provide drivers for RHES3,2, and some other linux flavors via download or on CD so I don't see any potential issues.

I haven't bought or built a supermicro 1U/2U in years myself, but seems like the major advantage they have for webhosting vs. Dell is much lower or efficient power usage. Well built too.. but with the prices Dell sells at, it's hard to justify paying the extra $$$ for less server.
    Last edited by sshepherd; 07-19-2005 at 01:48 PM.

Re: PowerEdge Rackservers compatibility?

Originally posted by beekeeper

BTW Garry I have also been looking at the Supermicro systems and was wondering which models you had experience with and/or would rate as near equivalent to a Dell Poweredge 1850? Do the Supermicro systems have anything equivalent to the Dell DRAC4 cards?
    For your first question, I'm not sure of the specs really, I just set them up in my racks for our customers, don't get to play with the guts much.

Second, as far as DRAC4 cards, I haven't seen any SuperMicro come into my shop w/ an equivalent. But maybe it's out there and I just don't know.
    Garry Dolley @ ARP Networks | gdolley _at_ arpnetworks . com | #arpnetworks on Freenode | @arpnetworks, @bsdvps
    FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Linux VPS • ARP Metal™ Dedicated Servers • Colocation • IP Transit
    Native IPv6 • VNC Console • Tunnel VNC over SSH • Serial Console over SSH • DNS Manager

Re: Re: Re: Server Recommandation: PowerEdge Rackservers are good?

Originally posted by Schumie
    I can't comment on Penguin or SuperMicro, but saying Dell's rapid rails aren't easy? What could be easier about them... you don't need bolts or nuts for your rack... they snap in place quickly and easily... I've never had an issue.
    RapidRails have never worked for me, at all. Maybe that's cuz I don't have Dell racks. I'm sure if you buy all Dell stuff, they're real easy, cuz they are made compatible. But Dell anything outside of a Dell rack is not always easy.

We have 4 post cabinets with round threaded screw holes, and every time a customer comes in with VersaRails, that are *supposed* to be universal, I have to take my grinder and cut notches in the side of the rails to get them to fit. This should not be necessary. SuperMicro or Penguin rails have never given me this problem.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Server Recommandation: PowerEdge Rackservers are good?

Originally posted by garrycc
    RapidRails have never worked for me, at all. Maybe that's cuz I don't have Dell racks. I'm sure if you buy all Dell stuff, they're real easy, cuz they are made compatible. But Dell anything outside of a Dell rack is not always easy.

We have 4 post cabinets with round threaded screw holes, and every time a customer comes in with VersaRails, that are *supposed* to be universal, I have to take my grinder and cut notches in the side of the rails to get them to fit. This should not be necessary. SuperMicro or Penguin rails have never given me this problem.
    You might want to get future racks with square holes (instead of threadded holes). These are nice, not only because you can fit in dell equipment (assuming you're at the right depth, gotta hate non-adjustable rails), but also compaq equipment, etc. (which use 12-24 sized threading instead of 10-32). Granted the primary benefit to the square holes and cagenut setup is the fact that when an over-zealous customer, or tech strips a thread, a screw, etc. instead of "loosing" that hole (or even that 1u depending on circumstance), you simply pop out the cagenut, and throw another one in.

My major gripe with Dell is the fact that many of our customers just dont know where to find "the deals" (and lets face it, Dell Canada's list prices are more then 2x that of the specials I often hear of people grabbing). Alongside that is the fact that their 'retail' pricing on rails is somewhere between $250 and $300, and customers who dont buy them (for obvious reasons!) are a bit SOL, because the inner-mounts come riveted to the chassis (and most customers dont want to drill out the rivets), yet the inner-mounts pertrude far enough to ensure that they will not sit on most 0u rack shelves.

Garry,

I had the same problem with a VersaRail in a threaded hole rack over in One Wilshire, wouldn't fit for the life of it, was a couple inches too long, also had a issue even with a older Dell Rail, had to hack the rail up to get it to work.

As far as the square hole rack cabinets in the XO space here in LA, absolutely no problem with Rapid Rails and they definately aren't Dell racks.

Originally posted by sshepherd

As far as the square hole rack cabinets in the XO space here in LA, absolutely no problem with Rapid Rails and they definately aren't Dell racks.
    Yeah, as long as you got the square holes it should work. We have a few cabs @ the XO space w/ the square holes, and the IBM and HP rails I've got (they have similar style to RapidRails) have just snapped into place. Very cool.

We use racks with threaded holes in our cage space simply b/c of cost and convenience. Just go to Fry's, pay $300 for a pair of posts and you got another rack

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Server Recommandation: PowerEdge Rackservers are good?

Originally posted by porcupine
    You might want to get future racks with square holes (instead of threadded holes). These are nice, not only because you can fit in dell equipment (assuming you're at the right depth, gotta hate non-adjustable rails), but also compaq equipment, etc. (which use 12-24 sized threading instead of 10-32). Granted the primary benefit to the square holes and cagenut setup is the fact that when an over-zealous customer, or tech strips a thread, a screw, etc. instead of "loosing" that hole (or even that 1u depending on circumstance), you simply pop out the cagenut, and throw another one in.

My major gripe with Dell is the fact that many of our customers just dont know where to find "the deals" (and lets face it, Dell Canada's list prices are more then 2x that of the specials I often hear of people grabbing). Alongside that is the fact that their 'retail' pricing on rails is somewhere between $250 and $300, and customers who dont buy them (for obvious reasons!) are a bit SOL, because the inner-mounts come riveted to the chassis (and most customers dont want to drill out the rivets), yet the inner-mounts pertrude far enough to ensure that they will not sit on most 0u rack shelves.
    I agree, but where do you get racks w/ square holes, non-threaded, at a decent price w/ shipping? Here in LA, we can build 7 ft. 4-post aluminum racks for about $300, but they have threaded holes. Haven't found a comparable price, but maybe I'm not looking in the right places

We love dell servers they have always been very good to us.
    Ceridius Networks Sales
    Email/MSN [email protected]
    Ceridius Networks - Reseller of Hivelocity Hosting
    Network Speed Test

Re: PowerEdge Rackservers compatibility?

Originally posted by beekeeper
    I am interested in buying a Dell Poweredge 1850 c/w ROMB and installing Centos and optionally cPanel. Has anyone managed to get Centos working with a Dell PE 1850 server?

We have installed CentOS on a few 2850s without any problems.

Supermicro has the IPMI card that can be compared to the DRAC card of Dell.