How to: Optimize the server for Asian users.

I'm using a server of Server4sale,for hosting sales.But they can't optimize it for me,so the server load is always very high,overload.

Please give some advice.

Hire a server admin to do that for you.
    DevOps!

What's the difference between optimizing a server for the Asian users compared to general optimization ?

Did you manage to find out what is driving the server load up ? What is your server specs ? What kind of contents is your server running ? How many sites and how active are each of them ?

we all know asians have faster mouse click rates.

duh

Re: How to: Optimize the server for Asian users.

Originally posted by magik1412
    I'm using a server of Server4sale,for hosting sales.But they can't optimize it for me,so the server load is always very high,overload.

Please give some advice.
    Magick can you please post those comments here what you have told us. Site having 10k user and 4k user (forum) at same time on ONE server?

The server is p4 2.8ghz HT 1GB RAM , Having multiple sites running different BB.(forums)
    One of the forum have more then 130+ users at a time + other forums as well.

I will let the poster comment on what he told us about how much optimization he wants
    Server4Sale
    Dirt CHEAP Servers coming soon

Re: Re: How to: Optimize the server for Asian users.

Originally posted by server4sale
    Magick can you please post those comments here what you have told us. Site having 10k user and 4k user (forum) at same time on ONE server?

The server is p4 2.8ghz HT 1GB RAM , Having multiple sites running different BB.(forums)
    One of the forum have more then 130+ users at a time + other forums as well.

I will let the poster comment on what he told us about how much optimization he wants
    I obviously don't know the exact opimization that the user wants, but 130 users online is nothing for a 2.8Ghz P4. It should easily be able to handle upwards of 400-500 online if you configure it well.

From the origianl reply by server4sale indicated that there were several DBs present. Since we dont have the full picture as usual it's obviously hard for anyone to provide specific suggestions. However for DB heavy sites throwing in more RAM helps (to a point).
    Damian | i n f i n i x | Are you a hosting refugee?

Yes, I agree, I think the server needs more RAM.
    DedicatedPlace.com- The Only Place to be...
    Managed Dedicated Servers with Free Daily Remote Backup
    sales@dedicatedplace.com

Ah just curious, where did you find such info? Anon mouse can you confirm? : )

Originally posted by Mooecow
    we all know asians have faster mouse click rates.

duh

Get a dedicated server in the Bay Area, Los Angeles, or Seattle... Check out dedicated servers in those areas and see which carrier has the best connectivity to asia. Then find out more info on which locations offer that carrier.

And additional RAM/Proc wouldn't hurt.

Stay away from apache and use something like tinyhttpd would help to reduce load.
    Also disable any search terms that is less than 3 letters and exclude any * search terms + prevent people searching in the forum repeatingly and force it to something like 1 search every 60 secs.

Those are the basic things you can do if you have not done it yet,.

I'm now using a reseller account of Allmanaged.com,it's running fine.I have about 15 websites under the account,and at least 3 of the websites have about 500 online users on each of them.
    I thinks there must be more resellers and websites on the server,so S4S should be thinking of problems of their servers.

The server that hosts my reseller account is with Single Xeon 2.4Ghz and 2GB ram,but I don't think P4 2.8GHz with 1G ram is far from the Xeon server.

The server that hosts my reseller account is with Single Xeon 2.4Ghz and 2GB ram,but I don't think P4 2.8GHz with 1G ram is far from the Xeon server.
    actually, 1GB RAM is much different. And a single Xeon 2.4 with HT will be processed as dual cpu. So, I might be wrong, but I think it's much more different

Originally posted by gate2vn
    actually, 1GB RAM is much different. And a single Xeon 2.4 with HT will be processed as dual cpu. So, I might be wrong, but I think it's much more different
    Not that much, actually. Single Xeon 2.4 just has more internal cache. HT doesn't really make it perform twice as fast, and most 2.8Ghz P4s can do HT anyways. It really depends on what you want it for, but if my decision was between a Single 2.4 Xeon or a 2.8 P4 I would go with the P4. But that is just me.

I dont say HT will perform twice and I believe there are still many P4 2.8 w/o HT there and another thing you need to pay attention is 1GB RAM difference

I'm now using a reseller account of Allmanaged.com,it's running fine.I have about 15 websites under the account,and at least 3 of the websites have about 500 online users on each of them.
    I thinks there must be more resellers and websites on the server,so S4S should be thinking of problems of their servers.

If it's a shared server and you are running several high usage forums I don't think it is long before you will get your account suspended......