Need help on what host to choose

hello everyone. I thought this would be the best place to get all of my questions answered. Im new to this stuff. And i appreciate anybody's help.

First off, I want to know what would be the best host for me. The main thing i want on my site is phpBB forums. I dont want to pay much (duh), and i want enough space to host forums + other web pages.

I was thinking Siteground.com, but im not sure if they are right for me.

If somebody could give me the requirements for hosting phpBB, that would be much appreciated also.

Thanks

For phpBB you need a server that supports php and also sql support. That is about it, but several hosts now support phpBB as a module so its a one click process.
    Ealuco Inc.
    http://www.ealuco.com

It all depends on how important the site is for you. What do I mean? Well, its like buying sneakers. I mean, sure the no-name brands may look as nice as Nike but I can assure you the quality is not the same. Cheap is not always better. If the site is a site you intend on building and it becoming a large part of you then go with a reputable host regardless of the price difference.

Most hosts provide support for PHP/MySQL which are the basic requirements for running a PHPbb message board. I suggest you go with a webhost that offers Fantastico which offers a simple 1-click install of various message boards including PHPbb.

What kind of budget are you working with?
    Vertivo :: Affordable Web Hosting Packages and Reseller Plans
    We offer affordable and reliable Linux-based Reseller and Shared Hosting Plans. Accepted: All major Credit Cards and PayPal.

Originally posted by webster13045
    viphostingsolutions.com/ is recomended
    cool, ill check that out.

Lets say, most i have to spend on hosting is maybe $20 a month. But i dont want to pay that much un-neccesarily. Is that, like, enough? I have other interests/hobbies if you know what i mean I would prefer paying around $5-$10 dollars per month. That's not my budget, just what im looking to spend.

This site doesnt really have to be anything big, or major. Just something generally small. And i dont want it to really be a major thing in my life....

Thanks everyone for your help.

EDIT: what do you think about godaddy.com or siteground.com? Are they good hosts for what im looking for?
    man who run behind car get exausted
    man who run in front of car get tired

Here's my 2 cents...

Check out any host that you like. As long as they run cPanel and have Fantastico, they have phpBB on their server. I'm kinda sure on that.

But my suggestion is that you should look at people's signatures, the hostquote section, the Offer section and everywhere else. Certain hosts are OK, certain are good and certain hosts are downright pathetic.

Anyway, most hosts in here who actually chats/posts in here should be OK. They have a reputation to keep and not only that, they are also easily availble

Have fun choosing. Take care and Good Luck!

EDIT : Godaddy might be BIG, but I've had more people running to me from Godaddy than from anyone else. I'd stay away if I were you.
    Last edited by aodat2; 05-21-2005 at 09:28 PM.
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com

Hi P-B-C
    You received some very good advice here already and I think that almost any host can offer you what you need with the budget you have in mind. Just take your time and be aware of the host you choose and check them out by calling them or emailing their sales department and ask them some questions and any concerns that you might have. See how fast they reply back to you and how professional their response is. Again, any host can offer you the web space and the bandwidth for a great price but the big difference between hosts is the quality of their support, the quality of the servers and hardware that they use and the uptime of their servers. Also make sure that they offer you a solid guarantee and they provide daily backups of your website. This is more important with a forum because everyday you will have new data imput. Godd luck with your search.

I suggest you look at ECPHosting.com. I have used them in the past to run a phpBB forum that was prebuilt with the web hosting account I had.

They support more than one type of forum and offer great support on all scripts. They can even install scripts at low prices.

The only reason I no longer use ECPHosting is that I did decided to not run a forum.
    http://www.ChicagoJobResource.com
    Chicago Job Resource
    YOUR career connection for Chicago jobs, careers and employment

okay, i think i forund the host i am going to go with. I have a few more questions...

okay, i know what mb and stuff are, but i dont know how much i need. Is 400 mb of disk space suffiecient for everything i want on my site? And 10 GB per month transfer space....is that enough? Like for phpbb, and web pages and such...?

i really dont think 400MB will be what you need i would look for at least 1GB of space to be safe

(i cant post a link)
    I was thinking of using sheildhost, does anyone have info/experience with them?

This is the plan:

domain
    No banners or pop-ups will be forced to appear on your site.
    Disk Space 400 MB
    Transfer Space 10 GB per month
    Subdomains Unlimited
    Control Panel Click for Demo
    Setup Fee $0.00
    Monthly Fee Regular $2.99
    Limited Time Offer $1.99

Billing Quarterly $8.97 $5.97

Yearly $31.99 $21.49 (Save additional 10%)

This Plan is Recommended For
    Personal Websites
    Using it for Email Accounts
    Mail Features
    Mailboxes Unlimited
    POP3 Included
    SMTP Included
    Auto Responders Unlimited
    Mailing Lists Unlimited
    SPAM Filters Unlimited
    Mail Blockers Unlimited
    WebMail Included
    Software Features
    PHP 4.3.1 Included
    Zend For PHP Included
    Perl 5.x Included
    CGI, TCL Included
    Flash, Shockwave Included
    CGI BIN Included
    Password Protected Pages Included
    SSI Included
    Web Publishing Features
    FrontPage Extensions Included
    File Manager Included
    Database Features
    mySQL Databases Unlimited
    Online Database Manager Included
    Server Access Features
    FTP Unlimited
    SSH Included
    Raw Log Access Included
    Other Features
    Custom Error Pages Included
    Site Stats Included
    PHP Bulleting Board Included
    Shopping Cart Included
    Custom Chatroom Included
    Free CGI Scripts Included

400 mb wont be enough? It really doesnt have to be big. Just the forums and maybe 2-3 web pages. It says phpbb is included, so does that mean that i will have phpbb with 400 mb left over? Very confused.

phpbb is included but when you install it that takes space from your account

Originally posted by webster13045
    phpbb is included but when you install it that takes space from your account
    okay, i understand.

Approximately how much space will phpbb take up? Does it take more space as it grows? (more forums, posts, etc.)

the reason i say you should get at least 1GB is that way you are safe.as your site grows you are going to want to add new stuff and so on and to be frank 400MB is not really that much space

P-B-C, that package seems a little cheap. Anyways.. 400 mb is fine the 10 gb is also fine you have nothing to worry about. phpBB will use 14MB space and about .5 MB SQL space when you install, it will grow with you getting more posts/users..

As long as your host lets you upgrade your package at a later date, you have nothing to worry about
    Webair Internet Development Inc.
    Shared Hosting • Managed Dedicated Servers • SEO
    1.866.WEBAIR.1 • www.webair.com • 24/7/365 Support • Adult Friendly
    My comments do not reflect the views of the company or its management.

i get you. There is always that urge to add more

Just to be safe.....How does 700mb sound? I already scetched out the website with what i want on it, i dont know if i will ever add more, but it's possible. So i want to be safe.

EDITED: wanga, i missed your post. Thank you for that info. Ill check to see if i can upgrade my account as the site grows.

if its not going to be a huge site then i would say you are fine

P-B-C: You're quite welcome.

Good luck with your website btw.
    Webair Internet Development Inc.
    Shared Hosting • Managed Dedicated Servers • SEO
    1.866.WEBAIR.1 • www.webair.com • 24/7/365 Support • Adult Friendly
    My comments do not reflect the views of the company or its management.

P-B-C just so you understand i was not trying to get you to buy more than you need i was rather thinking of you playing things safe

i understand. But im going for the up'd plan, with 700 mb. Not because of the extra space, but because it has fantastico

One LAST question. I swear, this is my last one. The forums will grow with more users/posts, but how much? I mean, will it drastically increase? I dont expect to get many members, but larger forums with 10,000 + members, how much space does that take up? How much more?

i think as it grows you may need to get more bandwith when that time comes but you should have enough space to run things

well, thanks everybody. Just got my site hosted by siteground.com. All i have to say, is wow. Just started building my site.

Thanks again everybody!

Congratulations, P-B-C. Would you mind letting us know how their support rate later? Thanks.
    "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men."

support rate is outstanding. Im not sure the exact time, because i wouldnt check immediately, but i checked after about 15 min and there response was there. They are very friendly too. Must be fast typers!