Cold of Soft Reboots?

Lately we have been having quite a few issues with The Planet and ServerMatrix with the way they handle reboots. The main problem being they do Cold Reboots (power cut) on servers, rather than Soft Reboots (reboot through the OS).

Luckily we don't need to reboot often, as not only do they do cold reboots, they do read instructions on reboot requests. A few months back we were doing a kernel upgrade and requested a reboot on a server (giving specific instructions on how to reboot from the OS), yet they still did a cold reboot. By doing this they corrupted the partition table and "were not able to fix it". This resulted in about 36 man hours of work on end to restore all the files.

The recent issue we had was nowhere near as bad, but caused a 5 hour outage. They again cold rebooted the server (we just requested a normal reboot ticket), and this meant the server needed an fsck.

I'm not sure how other providers work, but with other dedicated server providers we have worked with, they do soft reboots.

Check with your provider whether they do soft or cold reboots, it can make all the difference when it comes to keeping your filesystems in tact.
    crucialparadigm - Affordable, Reliable, Professional :
    Web Hosting
    24/7 Support Web Hosting Reseller Hosting Cloud/VPS Plans Dedicated Servers

I guess I don't understand. Why can't you reboot the server yourself from ssh/rdp/whatever, and just call them when the machine is so unresponsive it needs a hardware reset?

First time, if you are doing a kernel upgrade, there is always a chance for failure, so having a physical person stand there and watch to make sure it boots correctly into the new kernel - I assumed this was common practice with kernel upgrades

Second time the server was unresponsive, so we were unable to do a reboot remotely. Nevertheless, the console was not even checked, and a cold reboot was done automatically by The Planet (they confirmed this).
    Web Hosting

Two years ago, I would have given TP/SM my business at any time.

Unfortunately, they've now ruined their reputation, and tried to offer a product that was never going to be viable in the long run. Every datacentre seems to try it, offer pricing and support that just will not work, no matter how good your techs are.

I think they do this because they're so rushed off their feet and don't have time, because of the huge number of servers they have to look after with a small number of techs.

Dan

Dan, I very much agree with you. TP/SM used to be great when we first started with them well over a year ago, those were the days they actually treated you like a client rather than a number.
    Web Hosting

I agree, I had a server with TP and it was lagging really bad. I asked a tech to check it out and he said my game servers on it were using a lot of my ram, but I checked it out and none of them were even on. I used my orbit account and looked around and saw that it was running extremely hot. One processor (it was a dual xeon) was running at 136 degrees fahrenheit and the other was running 120. They said they were going to move it and blah blah blah. 3 days later I had to set up a clients server on it and it was laggy. I checked again and it was running a bit higher then 136. I asked them again to check it out and they said it was done, reset the server, and told me they moved it to a new rack but I'm pretty sure they didn't because it ran at the same temp. : / Way before they would actually fix it and none of my servers hit over 90 degrees from them : /