Thumbs down Keep Repeating Over and Over

to myself:
    its not personal its just business - but it is not helping.

11/04 I was offered 3 free months if I would pay upfront for a solid year - almost 900$.

I would think that in november of 2004 there had to have been some idea that this might happen - selling to another company.

Now everything is down, errors all over the place, being charged tho they did refund and it is now 3:30AM and I am doing an emergency move so when my clients wake up they will hopefully not even notice anything happened.

and you all KNOW what that involves - emails, path to perl, learning what is where and what button to push. Changing DNS and Nameservers.

And to think I paid 600$+ for this priviledge (what is left of my annual fee that i will never see again).

Tina, even if there was no 'non-compete' clause in place i still wouldnt host with you - if you had an ounce of integrity you woudl have never encouraged ppl to lay out that kind of money when you had to have had an inkling of what was coming down the path.

Your not loyal to your clients who were loyal to you and i really think you are ----- never mind - i have to get back to work.

Just in case i am deleted i really really needed to vent.

Sincerely,

Carol <--- paid for a solid year on a semi dedicated server which i cant find anywhere and when i wrote Tina to ask if she was still honoring her money back policy (no risk in renewing so far ahead she claimed) her response is - I am not affilated with dotcanada.

Thanks Tina, hope i can return the same kindness to you someday.

C

PS - Let the flames begin - just dont throw anything to mushy.

I'm sorry to hear about the thing you're going through. But could I know which company were you with before dotcanada took over?

Who is this Tina, Carol and the lot? I'm somewhat confused.

Another funny thing is that I thought dotcanada is actually keeping their clients? Honoring and maintaining everything that you had previously till the end?

Did I hear wrong? (although there are BILLIONS of people who could tell you how BAD dotcanada is)
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com

I *guess* its DotCanada/Affordable Host. Tina use to own AH but sold to dot canada

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

Yea, the original poster contributed to other threads about AH

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...62#post3075462
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

My records show that the last renewal promotion for Affordablehost was offered in August 2004. I didn't consider selling Affordablehost (or even have an inkling) until January 2005.

Contact me, personally, about this issue and I'll work something out with you. Make sure you reference this thread.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Carol, sorry to hear what happened to you. Fact is that paying in advance is a risk and one has to carefully weigh it. Whenever you gamble you need to be ready to cover the loss. 1 year is a lot of time in the hosting world.

With her post, Tina opens the door to a very unwelcome and pattern for her. In any case, I hope the two of you will manage to reach a mutually satisfying compromise.

Re: Keep Repeating Over and Over

Originally posted by cbwd
    to myself:
    its not personal its just business - but it is not helping.
    Repeat after me: "never pay for more than a month at a time"

People just love prepaying and I understand the lure, you often get a discount, you only have to "bother" with it once per year, and I can see the lure, we ourselves offer disounts on yearly purchases but I always encourage people to pay monthly if asked about it.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

Re: Re: Keep Repeating Over and Over

Originally posted by Dixiesys
    Repeat after me: "never pay for more than a month at a time"

People just love prepaying and I understand the lure, you often get a discount, you only have to "bother" with it once per year, and I can see the lure, we ourselves offer disounts on yearly purchases but I always encourage people to pay monthly if asked about it.
    I agree, I prepaid my dedicated server provider a year in advance and the problem with that is that once you pay them.. They don't care what you do or say, nor do you wish to help you with support. Sure so you get a little 5 - 15% off but with that you are also basically giving away your support and "dedicated" support members for that discount. Also if you are going to prepay yearly, always make sure they do not have a "no refund" policy because you'll most likely regret it.

Re: Re: Re: Keep Repeating Over and Over

Originally posted by Servax
    the problem with that is that once you pay them.. They don't care what you do or say, nor do you wish to help you with support.

That's a pretty broad statement.
    I have paid in advance with ServInt and they are always on top of things.

Ok, not all but most of them do that.

Can I see the statistics you're quoting?

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Paying three months in advance should be considered after 2-3 months of monthly payments so you can save some of the web hosting costs.
    http://www.ChicagoJobResource.com
    Chicago Job Resource
    YOUR career connection for Chicago jobs, careers and employment

Can I get the names of these hosts?
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Including an RSS feed that you can syndicate!
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Unlimited vs. Unmetered bandwidth

Originally posted by markcw
    Paying three months in advance should be considered after 2-3 months of monthly payments so you can save some of the web hosting costs.
    It depends - if you're paying $10 per month for hosting, sure why not, I mean worst case is you're out $30 but say a $300 per month dedicated server? I'd hate to swallow $900.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

I'd hate to swallow $900.
    Me too, especially in dimes and quarters.

Seriously though, that was a good example Gary. It all depends on how much the sum you're risking means to you. I doubt Mr. Bill Gates would feel the same way about those $900 as I would for example.

Closure

I just wanted to let you know that Tina responded to my outburst with understanding kindness rather than lashing back. She has acted with much integrity - which you do not see very often these days.

Thank you all for listening to my rants.

Carol

Pretty much what we have come to expect from Tina.

It's too bad this sale is causing some people to think otherwise when it is not her fault for what is now happening with AffordableHost.

I'm sure it hurts her very much to see her former company's name being dragged through the mud again and again.