Is this enough juice?

I am looking to host 2 websites on one machine. Not too much bandwidth needed.
    One is ASP + Access DB
    Other is ASP + SQL Server

Can I put all this on one box and still have decent performance? I am looking at a P4/80GB SATA/2GB RAM/SQL Workgroup. Should this be sufficient?

Thanks,
    xweb

You might want to go for a Xenon, but it should work on those specs.

Originally posted by datruesurfer
    You might want to go for a Xenon, but it should work on those specs.
    Can't really host sites on an unreactive gas, perhaps you meant Xeon.

You can stick it on the one, RAM wise that's pretty good, CPU wise if you want a P4, look towards the higher end, 3ghz+.

You might also benefit from a SCSI drive. A 36gb SCSI can be picked up for not much more than an 80gb SATA.

Dan

I am looking at using some of the managed hosting providers like DataPipe and Hostway. I dont have the ability to purchase my own SCSI drives and their plans with SCSI are a bit steep.

You guys are a joke. Recommend a Xeon machine, you should be stripped of your WHT Cards.

He could host 2 websites on a PII 450.
    Ray Womack @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

By the way, Both websites, Access DB site and SQL site, will see about 1 - 1.5 GB of bandwidth each.
    SQL will see up to 500 concurrent connections (ASP SQL hits)at any one time.

Originally posted by PSFServers
    You guys are a joke. Recommend a Xeon machine, you should be stripped of your WHT Cards.

gee, as if that isn't the most uneducated statement ever. He COULD host 200 sites on a 486 if they get no traffic. That's not the point. Perhaps instead of trying to flame them for their suggestions, you should flame them for making suggestions without knowing what kind of site traffic there will be. Then you should flame yourself for the same thing.

Originally posted by xweb
    By the way, Both websites, Access DB site and SQL site, will see about 1 - 1.5 GB of bandwidth each.
    SQL will see up to 500 concurrent connections (ASP SQL hits)at any one time.
    The server you have in mind will be more than adequate.

I just get a big kick, because we do use PII and PIII machines in a lot of applications. A High end Dual PIII machine on SCSI is a beast. I would rather have that any day over some piece of desktop crap.

The guy hasn't specified what size database this is, so please take that into consideration before you call me or any others on this board a joke, you are just speculating as much as I am. Sure you're entitled to your opinion, but insulting other board members, you aren't.

If I was going to reccomend a high end CPU I would have reccomended an Opteron, however IMO a high end P4 will do the job fine. It really depends on the DB size and queries used, but 1.5gb/mo transfer doesn't seem too heavy a DB.

Access db is small. SQL DB is ~ 20MB and growing. It seems small, but we hammer it as a corporate extranet application.

Originally posted by RazorBlue - Dan
    The guy hasn't specified what size database this is, so please take that into consideration before you call me or any others on this board a joke, you are just speculating as much as I am. Sure you're entitled to your opinion, but insulting other board members, you aren't.

If I was going to reccomend a high end CPU I would have reccomended an Opteron, however IMO a high end P4 will do the job fine. It really depends on the DB size and queries used, but 1.5gb/mo transfer doesn't seem too heavy a DB.
    Oh, please, Dan. You know what my point was. I'm not jumping anyone inparticular. I just crack up when people recommend **** and they don't even know what it is or even how to spell it.

Oh, please, Dan. You know what my point was. I'm not jumping anyone inparticular. I just crack up when people recommend **** and they don't even know what it is or even how to spell it.
    There you go again...

Let me ask you something, for how many years have you been deploying Windows corporate networks with large scale MS SQL database servers?

Originally posted by RazorBlue - Dan
    There you go again...

Let me ask you something, for how many years have you been deploying Windows corporate networks with large scale MS SQL database servers?
    I have a posting policy. I very rarely address forums members directly; I prefer to speak to the issue.

I made an exception because it was just a gentle elbow about a joke I made.

We will settle this via pm, or via email. I don't get drawn into pissing contests, although, when I squeeze the bladder, I can hit nearly 8 feet.

Please expect a PM and email from me.

Now now children, be nice

A decent spec p4 will do the trick and scsi drives would be a bonus.

Just to make sure...you are talking about 1 - 1.5GB/month, right?

If that's the case, we are talking about 34KB/minute - 500 bytes per second.

Seriously, you can host those two sites on a P2.

Thank you for the feedback