Hi,

I have programs I want to run for days.

I got a bunch of programs I want to run on the server. The programs run
    for days.

Now after a short time, when I logged in, I got:
    The remote session was ended because the idle timeout limit was
    reached. This limit is set by the server administrator or by network
    policies.

My server administrator must have changed something there. Actually after a certain amount of time, I only want the
    session to get disconnected, not ended. Yet it's ended because
    everytime I logged in again, programs that I run simply don't run
    anymore.

I checked out
    Administrative Tools > Terminal Services Configuration

and I see there is no timeout limit set. Where else can this be set
    anyway? I want to get rid time out. I think I am better off getting
    locked out once in a while rather than not being able to run my
    programs at all.

In the session tab, I only see:
    overide user settings (checkbox checked)
    end a disconnected session (never)
    active session limit (never)
    idle session limit (never)

When session limit is reached or connection is broken
    I choose disconnect session rather than end session.

So it's all never.

I wonder what user settings is. I checked around
    computer management. I saw group administrator and user administrator.
    Again no time out settings is done.

Where in the earth the time out settings is set.

Try installing VNC and connecting in that way, you are then actually logged onto the machine in real life rather than a virtual session.

A lot easier way of doing it, and ensures when your session gets dropped everything stays open.

Dan
    █ Dan Kitchen | Technical Director | Razorblue
    █ ddi: (+44) (0)1748 900 680 | e: dkitchen@razorblue.com
    █ UK Intensive Managed Hosting, Clusters and Colocation.
    █ HP Servers, Cisco/Juniper Powered BGP Network (AS15692).

At first glance those settings sound right to me, you shouldn't be having these sessions ended.

Are you sure the processes aren't running under another session? It's common for a user to become disconnected from terminal services, then when they log back in it connects them to another session. In which case you could click the Users tab in task manager, right click the disconnected session and choose connect, this would bring you back to your original session.
    EZZI.net - A Service of Access Integrated Technologies Inc
    Running data centers, nationwide data network, and world-wide VoIP network.
    http://www.EZZI.net sales@ezzi.net

Originally posted by RazorBlue - Dan
    Try installing VNC and connecting in that way, you are then actually logged onto the machine in real life rather than a virtual session.

A lot easier way of doing it, and ensures when your session gets dropped everything stays open.

Dan
    A similar effect can be acheived by using the remote desktop client and adding /console to the shortcut.

For example
    %SystemRoot%\system32\mstsc.exe /console

This connects you to the console session, as if you were right in front of the machine. However it doesn't bring up the security risk that VNC does. With VNC you are on the console session, and all your actions are viewable to anyone who can plug a monitor into your server, Remote Desktop /console locks the local console like pressing the Windows Logo Key + L.

Not that I think many datacenters plug monitors into servers to see if maybe someone is using PCA/VNC and they can spy on them configuring IIS, but I like to stay within the OS until it becomes necessary to use a 3rd party app. Especially one that gives full control of my machine.
    EZZI.net - A Service of Access Integrated Technologies Inc
    Running data centers, nationwide data network, and world-wide VoIP network.
    http://www.EZZI.net sales@ezzi.net

Interesting, never seen that option before.

However I really don't think you'd find any datacentres playing about with monitors so they could watch customers, a bit insane.

Dan
    █ Dan Kitchen | Technical Director | Razorblue
    █ ddi: (+44) (0)1748 900 680 | e: dkitchen@razorblue.com
    █ UK Intensive Managed Hosting, Clusters and Colocation.
    █ HP Servers, Cisco/Juniper Powered BGP Network (AS15692).

Originally posted by Take-IT-EZZI
    At first glance those settings sound right to me, you shouldn't be having these sessions ended.

Are you sure the processes aren't running under another session? It's common for a user to become disconnected from terminal services, then when they log back in it connects them to another session. In which case you could click the Users tab in task manager, right click the disconnected session and choose connect, this would bring you back to your original session.

VNC or any other 3rd party "remote control" app is much more resource intensive than the built-in windows terminal services.   Better to use the "/console" option and avoid 3rd party apps unless you really have a reason to use them.

Note that /console option is only supported on Windows Server 2003.  If you are using Windows Server 2000 that option is not available.

Originally posted by RazorBlue - Dan

Dan
    Voicegateway.com Web Services - High-performance Hosting & Fully Managed Servers
    Specializing in Virtual Machine Hosting with Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2, Windows SharePoint Services, Microsoft SQL Server 2005, ASP.NET 2.0 hosting and Newsletter/Mailing list services