need a hosting service that allows more than 200 outgoing emails per hour

Hi Folks -

I’m new here and need some help finding a host for a website. I have talked on the phone to 15 different web hosting companies in the last 3 days (picked off “top providers” lists) and none of them offer the service I need. Maybe someone here can help.

The website I’m webmaster for is for a neighborhood association of homeowners. We have about 250 homes and to date we have accumulated around 200 email addresses of residents. This list could grow to around 400 to 500 maximum. From time to time (once a week or less often than that even) the neighborhood’s governing board needs to send out an email to all the homeowners. Additionally, we need our email service at our host to be web-based, so that any of the members of the governing board of the homeowners’ association can log in to email (on the web), read messages sent in by homeowners, and send email out to any or ALL of them.

This is the problem. All of the web hosting places I have talked to have a limit on the number of emails that can go out from a domain. Usually it is 200 per hour. Sometimes it is 100 per hour. They all have a restriction of so many per day too (usually 1000), but this is not a problem. It is the limit per hour that is the problem. Additionally, while they all have web-based email, it is never fully function. Issues include 1) no “groups” in the address book, 2) no way to import email addresses information (our existing 200 addresses).

There are various painful work-arounds to the no groups and importing problems, but the limit of being able to send out only 100 or 200 emails within an hour period is killing us. It’s 100% impractical when we have 250 homes that must all be contacted at the same time. And, again, we must be able to do this from a web-based email system. Not a POP account on a single individual's PC.

Can anyone recommend a hosting service they use or have used where this will not be a problem?

Thanks-
    LostNeighborhood

Have you contacted ****** yet? They allow alot of email.

Yes I've tried ******. Also ipower, lunar pages, host excellence, easy cgi, host for web, blue host and on and on. Can anyone help with specific knowledge?

I guess you're going to have to ask each provider as no-one's going to divulge "signup and send millions of SPAM's" on a public forum

Are you wanting to send small text based emails or will you also want to use this for distribution of larger emails with documents for the home owners to read ?

The standard install of Horde in cPanel should allow you to import email addresses and configure these as lists.

It sounds like what you need is a mailing list service. Most hosts offer mailing list features that are web-based. The mailing list is usually configured by the host to send x number of messages per hour. So in your example, a homeowner can post to the list and all recipients would see the message in under two hours. Mailing list blasts are triggered by either sending an email to the mailing list (which automatically fires off to all subscribed members) or by sending a list announcement/message via a web interface.

Of course there are third-party companies that do nothing but mailing lists. I'm sorry but the names of those companies escape me at the moment.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

One of the best mailing list hosts is dundee.net. We use them for one of our clients that has a 15,000+ mailing list.

Another option would be to use a host that runs Mailman or similar mailig list software. As long as the host will allow the number of emails out per hour that you need, you could set up the list in Mailman and send it from there.

I doubt that many hosts are going to publish on a public forum how many emails they allow. That would be inviting spammers.

If you ask, though, you could find that some will work with you in regard to your needs.

Mark
    Mark Oberg
    Techweenies.com

(No longer affiliated with Uneedawebsite.com)

Thanks guys. We cannot use a list, like yahoo's lists, because the point here is not to enable everyone in the neighborhood to send out messages to each other. We just want to be able to have the governing board send out official notices to homeowners, of various sorts. For the most part these are small text-only messages of a few sentences. Sometimes there are 1-2 page attached word or pdf files.

From what I've been told by more than one hosting provider, neither Horde nor Squirrel allow groups in an address book. At least not as installed by the places I've talked to. However, the larger issue is, again, the 100 or 200 messages per hour.

Why isn't the limit of 1000 messages per 24 hour period satisfactory to control spam? We simply want to be able to send out 400-500 (max!!) messages at once, two or three times a month (typical). The limit of 100 or 200 messages per hour is the problem.

We are currently using an address at hotmail to do this. They have a limit of 100 addresses per message (so we have to send out 2-3 messages separately) and 1000 messages per 24 hour period (no problem). It works ok, but it is pretty unprofessional looking to have your own domain name and yet still have to resort to a hotmail email address.

Can anyone help with first hand knowledge of a hosting service that will let us do a few hundred emails at once, with only the restriction of 1000 a day?

Thanks so much everyone,
    LostNeighborhood

Originally posted by LostNeighborhood
    Thanks guys. We cannot use a list, like yahoo's lists, because the point here is not to enable everyone in the neighborhood to send out messages to each other. We just want to be able to have the governing board send out official notices to homeowners, of various sorts. For the most part these are small text-only messages of a few sentences. Sometimes there are 1-2 page attached word or pdf files.
    Most mailing list software is advanced enough that you can select only a handful of members that can send mail blasts out. Everybody else is "read-only" basically.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

If you don't want everyone being able to post to the list, you can configure it as a one-way list, where only the list manager can post to it and everyone else is receive-only.

A good host should be willing to help you with this, perhaps for a small fee or included in the price.
    Mark Oberg
    Techweenies.com

(No longer affiliated with Uneedawebsite.com)

Plesk control panels allow list set-up. We send to over 100 employees using one email address that points to the list.

hostnexus.com is a good place to try. They won't tolerate spam, but I think you could work out something for a 200-300 person list.

Outlook has a 'schedule to send later' feature. You could set up lists of 100 members each, and schedule each email to send 1 hour apart. That would be a pain for 15,000 members, but a couple hundred should not be too hard.

one mailing list i know of is Web Wiz Guides Mailliung list

www.webwizguide.info

it allows for groups. and you can send emails out to selected groups. it also allows logins from them.

you could then use a webmail application for the users.

www.jodohost.com allow mass mailing, they send emails in batchs.

also webwizguide are sponsored by them.
    E:magineHosts (Department Of E:magine Limited)
    emagine the possibilities
    Aaron - CTO, founder & Director Of Technical Support/Customer Support/Technology of E:magine Limited
    Windows,Linux, VPS Hosting environments

Configuring through a control panel, you could just build lists that are represented by one email address - group1@yourname.com for the first 100, group2@yourname.com, etc. Or, if your host will let it happen - all@yourname.com, containing all 500.

Originally posted by buddhafinder
    Plesk control panels allow list set-up. We send to over 100 employees using one email address that points to the list.

hostnexus.com is a good place to try. They won't tolerate spam, but I think you could work out something for a 200-300 person list.

Spoke to this gentleman in chat this afternoon. Fingers crossed.

- HN Mike
    ||| Mike Bowers - Marketing Director
    ||| atOmicVPS LTD
    ||| OnApp Powered Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting ► [Shared] ► [Reseller] ► [VPS]
    ||| Follow the atOmicVPS Blog

Try this host

Hi,

I have over 10 websites and 2 of them are for my business
    I use this host clihost.com

They have been very good and their uptime is 100%

They have been so good for the past 3 years I have been with them

Thanks

Alex

alexe2005 can you tell us one of those sites that you have had for 3 years with this host.

Maybe look for hosts who advertise being Dada Mail-friendly. Dada Mail (http://www.dadamail.org) is a GPL mailing list script, really nicely done. There are some hosts who will install it for free and will offer basic support on it as well, I have read quite a few references to this on the old MojoHelp boards and now the Dada Mail forums.

If a host is Dada-friendly and advertises this fact, the odds are really good they are not going to cripple the hourly sending limit. They will still require batching at reasonable rates (10-50/minute) but that's a far cry from 200/hour...

HTH!

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

Google will let you do FREE it if its a mailing list:
    http://groups-beta.google.com/grphp?hl=en&tab=wg