Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    1,235

    Thumbs up Stem Cell Research Breakthrough

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4555023.stm
    South Korean scientists say they have made stem cells tailored to match the individual for the first time.
    Each of the 11 new stem cell lines that they made were created by taking genetic material from the patient and putting it into a donated egg.

    The resultant cells were a perfect match for the individual and could mean treatments for diseases like diabetes without problems of rejection.

    But the researchers told Science that there were still hurdles to overcome.
    this is promising, one thing i hate to see is the stagnation of medical research that could save lives, so if it's not going to take place in the US then let somebody else do it
    <erno> hm. I've lost a machine.. literally _lost_. it responds to ping, it works completely, I just can't figure out where in my apartment it is.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,201
    I hope that they do well but they are killing little babies (or embryos)!
    I think that it is murder to test on an unborn child because that is how they get the stem cells in the first place.
    My Blog - www.Bakie.net
    My Entertainment site - www.SpudMud.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    771
    I think that research to help improve peoples lives is very important and it should not take 20 years to bring something to the market that can help someone today. But on the other hand we need to make sure things are safe before people start using it. It seems even with all the research on drugs in the US we continue to see lawsuits more and more on diet drugs, stress drugs, heart drugs and whatever else that was the hottest thing on the market 2-3 years prior.

    I do have a problem with making a baby (and yes I believe a fetus/embryo is a baby/person/human at conception) and then killing it to help heal another person. Why is that babies life less important than the person they are saving? Now this is not a religious standpoint I am just looking at as why is one life more important than another? What if, researches find that people over 70 have a rare chemical in their system that if they area healthly person but we killed them and part of their brain can be removed and turned into a drug to heal cancer in people that are 20 years old, should be do it? I say No!

    Remember we are all going to die. The mortality rate is 100%



    Robert
    Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

  4. #4
    Originally posted by Bakie
    I hope that they do well but they are killing little babies (or embryos)!
    I think that it is murder to test on an unborn child because that is how they get the stem cells in the first place.
    Did you know that:
    Multiple fertilised eggs are produced during IVF (test tube babies) and after the mother gave birth to a baby, all the redundant embryo's are just thrown away?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    347
    I think stem cell research is a great idea, but caution must be taken over this development as it seems there is still along way to go before we can start curing diseases.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    771
    I do not doubt or question that at all but I do not agree with that either. I now that is a bi-product of the process and I assume can't be changed?? I am not a doctor (I only play on on TV). I know the arguement would be use these for research but then where is the line to be drawn? Well if these are good enough to kill why not create others to kill and heal people.

    Sorry I am not wanting to get on a soapbox, just my opinion. and I have not problem listen and learning from other peoples thoughts.

    I do feel for families that have a sick family member that can be helped and I am for research, but to Create a life to kill it to help someone else I think is wrong.


    Robert
    Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    3,262
    Originally posted by Bakie
    I hope that they do well but they are killing little babies (or embryos)!
    I think that it is murder to test on an unborn child because that is how they get the stem cells in the first place.
    Stem Cells can come from the umbilical cord of a baby once born as well.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    771
    Originally posted by Rob83
    Stem Cells can come from the umbilical cord of a baby once born as well.
    I have heard that when you are born (or your baby is) that you can have the cord frozen and used later in life?? I am not sure how efficient that is?? Or maybe I just saw that on Star Trek and I am living in my only little world


    Robert
    Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Button Moon
    Posts
    491
    Stem cells can also be taken from bone marrow

    Mesenchymal stem cells are found in the bone marrow of adult humans. They have the potential to develop into mature cells that produce fat, cartilage, bone, tendons, and muscle. Work done at various centers has demonstrated that these mesenchymal cells can be isolated from human bone marrow and transferred into cell cultures. There they can be encouraged to grow and reproduce and yet still maintain their stem cell capabilities
    http://www.infoaging.org/b-stem-8-r-marr.html

    so there really is no need to get it from embryos
    http://www.goodridgeelec.com
    Electrical Contractors, West Midlands, UK

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    FT Worth, TX
    Posts
    5,098
    great news to hear... now if only we can get rid of this "moral government" we could maybe cure diabetes or some major diseases.
    Kerry Jones

  11. #11
    I don't see anything wrong with killing a few cells in order to cure diseases which people will be likely suffering with for the rest of their lives. I think its a little going a little far to call a federalized egg a human life, it isn't even close. Its just a few cells with the potential to be a human life. Just having potential doesn’t make something anything. Why make people suffer when they don't have to just because it goes against your personal beliefs.
    ••If one picture is worth a thousand words, what is the value of an entire movie?••
    ••Check out our flash tutorials here ••
    http://www.ivialis.com
    sales@ivialis.com

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,201
    That is good to hear.

    I think that using a baby for research is wrong because it is a human being like you and me.

    I hope that one day they will be able to use the stem cells properly because that will save millions of lives.
    My Blog - www.Bakie.net
    My Entertainment site - www.SpudMud.com

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    295
    Originally posted by GWDGuy
    I think that research to help improve peoples lives is very important and it should not take 20 years to bring something to the market that can help someone today. But on the other hand we need to make sure things are safe before people start using it. It seems even with all the research on drugs in the US we continue to see lawsuits more and more on diet drugs, stress drugs, heart drugs and whatever else that was the hottest thing on the market 2-3 years prior.

    I do have a problem with making a baby (and yes I believe a fetus/embryo is a baby/person/human at conception) and then killing it to help heal another person. Why is that babies life less important than the person they are saving? Now this is not a religious standpoint I am just looking at as why is one life more important than another? What if, researches find that people over 70 have a rare chemical in their system that if they area healthly person but we killed them and part of their brain can be removed and turned into a drug to heal cancer in people that are 20 years old, should be do it? I say No!

    Remember we are all going to die. The mortality rate is 100%



    Robert
    It's a donated egg, are you saying that it's also murder if that egg just died in the womb and wasn't fertilised? Chances are that egg wouldn't have been fertilised and has therefore been put to a better use in curing someone's disease.
    Ampinet.co.uk - UK Webhosting - Coming Soon!
    99.99% Uptime Guarentee | Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | 24/7 Support

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    771
    No an egg that dies in the body is not controlled by human hands (in most cases) that is just how things happen. If a woman gets pregnant and miscarries do you see people dancing? No.. It is a lose of life and it should be treated that no matter what.

    Unfertilized eggs die each month until menopause that is natures cycle, we are talking about a live person once the egg is fertilized, it is no longer an egg it is now a human, a very small one but none the less.

    Okay lets take this another way, those that think a baby is not a baby until it is out and breathing on its own.. A mother, carrying her baby and someone breaks into her house and shoots her and she and the baby die should he be punished for one or two crimes? Lets take that one more step he shoots the lady in the stomach and she loses the baby does he get charged with murder or stem cell research donations? It is a human life from the very start, the spark of life is at inception.

    Robert
    Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

  15. #15
    Did you know that:
    Multiple fertilised eggs are produced during IVF (test tube babies) and after the mother gave birth to a baby, all the redundant embryo's are just thrown away?

    I think that we should let the mother decide if she should donate her embryo's for stem cell research. Who are we to decide whether she should do this or that?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,305
    Originally posted by GWDGuy
    No an egg that dies in the body is not controlled by human hands (in most cases) that is just how things happen. If a woman gets pregnant and miscarries do you see people dancing? No.. It is a lose of life and it should be treated that no matter what.

    Unfertilized eggs die each month until menopause that is natures cycle, we are talking about a live person once the egg is fertilized, it is no longer an egg it is now a human, a very small one but none the less.

    Okay lets take this another way, those that think a baby is not a baby until it is out and breathing on its own.. A mother, carrying her baby and someone breaks into her house and shoots her and she and the baby die should he be punished for one or two crimes? Lets take that one more step he shoots the lady in the stomach and she loses the baby does he get charged with murder or stem cell research donations? It is a human life from the very start, the spark of life is at inception.

    Robert

    Wow, try to have an open mind... this is just clouding one issue with some gibberish to try to prove it wrong. While I do not agree with the use of stem-cell research using embryotic cells, you are just trying to disprove the whole idea on the basis some some possible murder conviction.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Brooklyn NY
    Posts
    817
    I dont really mind if Im called a monster but I dont mind sacrifising a few "potential" lives to save people who already are alive and are sufferring. If you find this to be against your religion or morals, then dont take whatever is accomplished from this. For those of use who's morals differ from you, why do we need to suffer for your choices? For those of you who pray for your pain to go away, go ahead and pray if that makes you feel better. I for one prefer to rely on advances in science to heal pain.
    Why do they call them fingers? I never seen them fing. Oh, there they go.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,100
    Originally posted by Bakie
    I hope that they do well but they are killing little babies (or embryos)!
    I think that it is murder to test on an unborn child because that is how they get the stem cells in the first place.
    You and many other do not understand where these cells come from.
    Eggs are collected from mother. These eggs are not live and I do not think I saw anyone arguing differently. These eggs could not be fertilized inside of mother as that is why they are collected at first place. Then, in the lab by 100% artificial means these eggs are fertilized. Some of the eggs die, and some of them do not. Some of the ones that are fertilized are placed back in mother and one or two of them maybe survives and there is baby, or two. The remaining fertilized eggs are simply frozen and kept. At no time those eggs had any chance to develop to anything else. They are simply byproduct of above process. Those are perfect for this research and it would take a lots of imagination to call those eggs babies.

  19. Newsletters

    Subscribe Now & Get The WHT Quick Start Guide!

Related Posts from theWHIR.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •