Whats Considered Legal When Hosting From Home?

Hi,
    I came accross a site the other day where some of my work had been ripped (wont go into detail) anyway I came accorss a number of illegal things on this site warez, nulled hivemail script, etc...

now as he had ripped something off my site I thought I would report it to his host, which happend to be himself so I reported it to his cable ISP, it was a few hours and the site was gone, now the site is back with even more warez and illegal content than before on the same IP, and his ISP seems to do nothing about it when I e-mail them...?

What would be the next step in stopping him? (he has taken down the theme that was mine, after claiming it was his on my site and getting into an argument with a few members of my site.)

but its annoying how people get away with these things.
    he just gets away with it and add's more.

Regards
    Richard Simpson

As he is an end user cable IP, he has very very low bandwidth compared to a server...
    So far I have not needed to make 31 posts thanks to the search function.

I would report the warez stuff to the BSA or the copyright holders.
    Game Servers are the next hot market!
    Slim margins, heavy support, fickle customers, and moronic suppliers!
    Start your own today!

These WareZ stuff are all over home-based temporary web-servers. Most of them using ftp and some using http. If the ISP is not supplying dynamic IP over regular intervals of time, then it'll be difficult to stop them.

I would continue informing his ISP company. Go to thier site and select a couple items from their own TOS and point them out in your communications to them. That usually is enough. Also, most cable companies do not permit hosting from home services - especially if they have a personal/home account and not a business account.

LEt us know how you make out!

- HN Mike
    ||| Mike Bowers - Marketing Director
    ||| atOmicVPS LTD
    ||| OnApp Powered Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting ► [Shared] ► [Reseller] ► [VPS]
    ||| Follow the atOmicVPS Blog

Muzzleflash,

Great post.
    That said stick to keeping things legal.

What is the address of the site?
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

just mail ISP for issue

Originally posted by wickedhost
    just mail ISP for issue
    Hey, wickedhost? Feel free to elaborate in your posts. I noticed quite a few like this, limited to a few unhelpful words. Are you just trying to make enough posts to put up an ad?

Don't be surprised when it's removed, along with your posts like that one. Not a good start here.
    Eric J. Bowman, principal
    Bison Systems Corporation coming soon: a new sig!
    I'm just a poor, unfrozen caveman Webmaster. Your new 'standards' frighten, and confuse me...

yea wickedhost if you had read my post you would of noticed I have all ready done that a number of times, I have reported it to a few of the software holders, and I have reported his nulled ver of hivemail. he keeps moving the warez around and his ISP just think im making it up now, but he just keeps putting them in different files.

Figure out what city/state he is hosted from, shouldn't be too hard if you know his ISP. Then notify the local internet crime division of their police force.

You could also contact yours and they can figure out where he is.
    Doyle Lewis
    BuyHTTP Internet Services - In business since 2003
    Business Hosting | nginx, CloudLinux, Varnish cache, and CDP with every business account
    Shared, Reseller, Semi Dedicated, VPS, Cloud, Dedicated - We can grow with you

If he's no longer plagarising anything that's yours...why do you care? You've notified those responsible for dealing with it, it's in their hands, let them do what they feel is necessary.

It's none of your concern, and trying to get some 12 year old fooling around on an inconsequential home server arrested or otherwise punished for having 'warez' is pretty childish IMO. You've done enough, leave it be.

when they continue to rip my php scripts and they continue to claim they made my site theme, and they also are currently distributing a program to host chat servers which they did not originaly create and they have been getting credit for this I do beleave it is my business, I just think its stupid how his ISP does nothing about this, he also spams he has been black listed 8 times, so his IP is almost useless, not to mention he dos attacks web servers.

I mean some people I can put up with but this guy rip's, copys, cracks every pice of software he see's.

I just want to see some sort of justice done, this guy thinks he can get away with anything I do beleave he is 15 - 18 from the way he replys to e-mails, but still should not matter what age you are, he is still doing something illegal.

If he continues to do it, Get a Lawyer and get a Sapenia "how ever it's spelt" Allthough you would have to have hard evidence that you own the script and that he is copying it. But if you can do that you could take him to court or the ISP to get his account disabled. Also I belive if its a home user it would be against the TOS to host a server.
    Edrick Smith
    Film Production

Subpoena. You're welcome!

Maybe post about it on your site, and provide a link for your members to send protest to his ISP. Multiple complaints may get better response than a single one.

Keep contacting the ISP until they take action. Report the site to proper authorities.

I agree. If this guy is ripping your site, thats one thing. But if he is stealing your php scripts, thats just not cool! I mean thats theft of intellectual thought...maybe you should try taking legal action if this goes on?

But like everyone else said...I'd keep emailing the ISP - and if they don't respond, and the guy doesn't respond to your legal threats, send an email to the ISP demanding they take this off.

Thats my $.02!

Originally posted by Wazeh
    Maybe post about it on your site, and provide a link for your members to send protest to his ISP. Multiple complaints may get better response than a single one.
    This will be my next corse of action, if there is still nothing being done I see legal action as the only way.

Agreed. If it's a home-server without a business account then he is against TOS regulations. I understand you have contacted his ISP, but sometimes you need t show you mean it.

Contact his ISP again, take screen shots (captions) of some of his files on his website. I'm hoping you still have the PSD file for the site, then you would then have evidence you made it. When contacting his ISP tell them you have the evidence of his mis-use, point out the TOS just as HostNexus Mike pointed quite a few posts ago.

Stick to it, don't let them keep shutting you down. It seems you have a grudge against these guys, so I think you'll probably keep to it. Just keep mailing them, calling them and whatnot until he is shut down. If he's not shut down by then I have no clue mate.
    PHP5 / MySQL / CUSTOM TEMPLATING / CLEAN & MAINTAINABLE CODING
    WEB DEVELOPMENT via CUSTOM DESIGN / PROGRAMMING

I would say thay you continue to hammer his/her ISP. It's doubtfull that there is an isp that allows any of that content to be hosted from a users home.

As for the script theft unless you can prove ownership might be difficult to defend your claim unless you have prior versions of the script and can show it's development.

Email/Fax the ISP when that doesn't find out who owns the IP space and complain. For all other issues your local authorities or small claims should be fine and cost effective depending on how much your scripts' are worth.

my .02

Originally posted by aceadoni
    I would say thay you continue to hammer his/her ISP. It's doubtfull that there is an isp that allows any of that content to be hosted from a users home.

As for the script theft unless you can prove ownership might be difficult to defend your claim unless you have prior versions of the script and can show it's development.

Email/Fax the ISP when that doesn't find out who owns the IP space and complain. For all other issues your local authorities or small claims should be fine and cost effective depending on how much your scripts' are worth.

my .02

That kinda sounds like what I said... hmmm.... lol, >=) You just reworded what I said mate! It's cool tho, but I think he got the point when I said it. No worries.
    PHP5 / MySQL / CUSTOM TEMPLATING / CLEAN & MAINTAINABLE CODING
    WEB DEVELOPMENT via CUSTOM DESIGN / PROGRAMMING

Who is the ISP? Are they in the United States?
    Webair Internet Development Inc.
    Shared Hosting Managed Dedicated Servers SEO
    1.866.WEBAIR.1 www.webair.com 24/7/365 Support Adult Friendly
    My comments do not reflect the views of the company or its management.

The ISP is in Canada.

What's the address?
    So far I have not needed to make 31 posts thanks to the search function.