* Making you're own os?

Is this really possible, for example can you create you're own? Also is there sources where you can compile say you're own fedora? Or what? Do u have to use a certan os to compile?

Assuming you understand systems level programming sure you can make your own os. You can slo grab the linux or bsd source code and customize it to suit yourself with a bit of effort - though that isn't quite the same as "writing your own os".
    "Obsolesence is just a lack of imagination."

Re: Making you're own os?

Originally posted by Criminal#58369
    Is this really possible, for example can you create you're own?
    Certainly, go get Andrew Tanenbaum's book on Operating Systems.

Also is there sources where you can compile say you're own fedora? Or what? Do u have to use a certan os to compile?
    Now you're asking a completely different thing. Most any linux distribution will provide a means for you to aquire and compile all the source if you really wish to. Gentoo is probably the best know compile-everything-yourself distribution. The question is, why would you want to spend potentially days doing that when trusted binaries are available precompiled and ready to download.

If you want to make your own customised DISTRIBUTION of linux, then we are on different ground again. Of course you can do this, see "Linux From Scratch".

go download the linux kernel and start hacking away

Is this really possible, for example can you create you're own?
    If it wasn't possible to create operating systems, there wouldnt be any right now
    Regards,
    Matthew Fonda
    PHP Developer

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/
    there use to be byolinux.org but seems to be a med site now
    Anyhow, lots of reading......
    Dave

your, not you're

there are alot of projects out there on creating operating systems, I would recommend that you become a part of a team to create one since it wont be possible to create one on your own..

Peace,
    Testing 1.. Testing 1..2.. Testing 1..2..3...

There is a major difference between making your own OS and making your own Linux Distro.

Making an OS is easy (so long as you don't have high expectations of course )- Iv'e made a very basic OS in the past (well, I guess you could call it a random program that boots up more than an OS - with basic commands like printing BIOS system time, and a basic text editor, couldn't interface with hard disks though).

Windows (yes- ugh) was made mainly in C, with alot of the frontend made in HTML (with parts of the kernel written in pure Assembly). Iv'e got no idea why they based the frontend around HTML, but it's very easily configurable

There are many OS projects out there that are being developed by hobbyists, one of my faves is http://www.menuetos.org - it's written in pure ASM, so even though only the geekiest of geeks can actually read the code, it's blisteringly fast compared to Windoze, Linux, etc. The source is available by the way, I've messed with bits in the past but it always screws up (I have very basic ASM skills, mainly everything I do involves a DOS Interrupt ).

Anyways, happy coding

Originally posted by Carp
    your, not you're
    Im not sure if you were trying to correct my supposibly spelling problem, but it is you're... take a look:
    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=youre

you're Audio pronunciation of "youre" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (yr; yr when unstressed)

Contraction of you are.

Originally posted by shockuk

There are many OS projects out there that are being developed by hobbyists, one of my faves is http://www.menuetos.org - it's written in pure ASM, so even though only the geekiest of geeks can actually read the code, it's blisteringly fast compared to Windoze, Linux, etc. The source is available by the way, I've messed with bits in the past but it always screws up (I have very basic ASM skills, mainly everything I do involves a DOS Interrupt ).

Screen shot reminds me of win 3.1

Peace,
    Testing 1.. Testing 1..2.. Testing 1..2..3...

Originally posted by Criminal#58369
    Im not sure if you were trying to correct my supposibly spelling problem, but it is you're... take a look:
    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=youre
    (I can't believe I'm actually joining this drift. Oh well.)

His issue was not with the spelling, which is correct, but the use. "You're" is a contraction of "you are," which is not appropriate in this context. In this case, "own" is a noun (a generic object you possess), so you need a possessive form of you, which is "your."
    Game Servers are the next hot market!
    Slim margins, heavy support, fickle customers, and moronic suppliers!
    Start your own today!

God bless assembler programming
    PutFile.io — Disrupting traditional file hosting.
    █ Signup Early and enjoy Unlimited space/bandwidth for your files hosting, Forever!
    █ No Ads.
    █ No Countdowns.

Originally posted by azizny
    there are alot of projects out there on creating operating systems, I would recommend that you become a part of a team to create one since it wont be possible to create one on your own..

Peace,
    *Chuckle* That's not true. You can write an OS all by yourself. Now.. if you want to SELL it or have it become a publically used OS that's a different story! If it's just for yourself... go for it!

In THEORY an OS is NOT that complex. Just the implementation is where it gets "fun". LOL
    Game control panels - control your game world your way. Server-Genie.com
    http://www.server-genie.com