Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Take Care when doing Whois

I have a client who check on a whois for one of his domains, ordered the domain from us, we check it is available, and when we tried to register, we found out that the domain was just taken.

It seem that the whois from which my client is checking is actually monitoring who checks what and register them immediately. Finally my client bought the domain from this domain squatter as he has already printed his name cards with the domain name.

For those who needs to use whois, use them from the reputable sources for eg Networksolutions, Opensrs etc. Cant imagine the extent to which people would scoop down to for business nowadays : (

oddly enough, I was on GoDaddy and going to register hotboxhosting.com and mysteriously someone registered it but is not using it the day after I looked it up

Needless to say, I bought another name and when I found it I didn't think about it this time!

I had the same problem before. Whois a name, available. Come back a few days later to register, it's gone.
    The person who registered it is a famous squatter that I am sure many of you have problem with, his email is lion******@aol.com
    The whois service I used is www.domainwhitepages.com. I am not saying that they did this (nor I am saying they didn't). That's just what happened.

Interesting. I wondered if this kinda thing happens. I got paranoid anyway and for my first domain names I decided to pick a registrar and then look through their interface to see what was free and bought it right away. I figured since they're selling they won't buy it out from under me. Lots of domains are being squatted, but it's amazing what you can still get using a Thesaurus, "my...", and imagination.

EDIT: What did he pay for the sniped domain name?

I use whois.sc, and have never had any issues.

What was the name of the domain registration company he checked from?
    Ovica.com : Web Hosting Is What We Do!

He paid 3 times the prices of what was the site's normal domain pricing. I considered it lucky for him.

Originally posted by BigMoneyJim
    Interesting. I wondered if this kinda thing happens. I got paranoid anyway and for my first domain names I decided to pick a registrar and then look through their interface to see what was free and bought it right away. I figured since they're selling they won't buy it out from under me. Lots of domains are being squatted, but it's amazing what you can still get using a Thesaurus, "my...", and imagination.

EDIT: What did he pay for the sniped domain name?

I was in the same situation.
    That is why I used my own tool to query the registrar directly.
    What you can do with Cpanel ------------------> |||||
    What you can do with Cpanel XP+CpanelAPP -------> ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Your competitors are cashing in with Cpanel XP & CpanelAPP, are you?

I was contemplating a venture under a particular name and queried it a couple of times over a 2 or 3 month period. Suddenly it's registered - and 10 months later remains "under construction".

I had never thought about it till I read this string but when I was keeping an eye on it, it was always through the same "whois".

The venture is still in the "what if stage" so I can afford to wait the extra couple of months to see if it's renewed and use somethign else if it is.
    "Obsolesence is just a lack of imagination."

Ok wouldn't it be a good idea if we taught the domain squatters a lesson?

I suggest performing whois on many domains each day and then let the squatters register and pay. They're instantly going to start loosing money because they're not going to be able to sell the domains which were not wanted.

Start listing those sqautters whois services!

-Turboz

If a domain you want does get "squatted", then make sure not to visit the site. If you visit too much, or if other people do, the squatter might want to renew the domain instead of letting it expire. And like said before, only whois it in a way that is secure. Hopefully this problem should go away. Don't encourage it by buying the domains from them, there are always plenty of other tld's to choose from. I understand if you already got stuff printed... but thats not a good decision in the first place :/.

I used to use whois.sc in the past, however I think somehow people are tracking what is searched for on it. Most of the good domain names I came up with on it became registered after a few days.
    Ankit Gupta - Cernax Hosting
    "We're always second in the industry, the customer comes first."

Thanks for the information. I never believed it would be true until now What a horrible way to make $$.

Perhaps somebody should set up a squatbaiter team, anonymously use the Whois facilities in his site and do not buy the domain from him

domain jacking are famous now days

Do you guys know what companies are big on squatting? What about Enom or GoDaddy? Anyone have any problems with them?

I'm asking because I'm using an enom reseller account and don't want my clients to go through this drama!

FeatureHosting,

I beleive we're talking about the small guys who will stoop to any level to make a few $'s. I don't think we're talking about big companies (I could be wrong though). I doubt you got too much to worry about.

The_Overl, Gotta say I'm with ya there. Getting stuff printed before having the domain registered is pointless and a costly mistake - especially in this situation. I know a good printerwho works cheap. It's cheaper to have stuff reprinted than bid to buy back the domain you wanted.

foress, I'm in for that idea. Lets bankrupt the squatters between us all. I'm sure enough people here have had enough of them so why not hit back?

If the music industry can hiot back at file sharers, then domain registrants can hit back at cyber squatters.

-Turboz

They are normally the smaller resellers of the big names. Big names themselves would not stoop so low, their reputation is far more important than the tiny money they can make out of such despicable acts.

Just making sure!

But then most of the time for myself, I would ahve already gone through the process of defining the name of the domain that I want and then with the list of possible domain names I go search for its availability, and if available I buy straight away and start the progject once DNS resolves.

Don't really wait on a domain purchase because prices are not like 10 years ago where I paid 10 times more than what i did now
    ( I really felt like a "sucker" when I spent $70 bucks on a domain whenever I think back.... Same goes for my 486 PC which costed me thousands..... )
    -=- GQ Hong -=-
    GalacNet WebMaster

Never had a problem with DomainRightNow who are part of the WildWest imperium...

always use the registrar whois check for availability, usually more trusted than newbie whois sites.
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

Or just use the 'whois' command on your unix promt

regular whois sometimes doesn't show the newly reg'ed domains which require 24/48hrs to get updated in the com/net registry thats why better checking the availability at registrars
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Originally posted by Bashar
    regular whois sometimes doesn't show the newly reg'ed domains which require 24/48hrs to get updated in the com/net registry thats why better checking the availability at registrars
    I think Tucows updates it immediately because when I register a domain through them it resolves two minutes later.

the registry update instantly (nameserver wise) but the whois wont show at the registry till 24/48hrs

ur talking about rapid dns updates from verisign

I've always been using Registerfly ( registerfly (dot) com ).
    I've registered more then 100 domains with them, and always been using them to perform whois lookups..

Never experienced anything like that.

So, I therefore give a thumbs up on Registerfly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast