Question .dk at reasonable prices?

I have just spent 20 bucks (DKK 124 incl. VAT) registering a .dk domain at http://www.dandomain.dk/ and I don't even get DNS control! DNS is another $20. I knew that prior to registering, so no hard feelings. However, I need to move the .dk domain onto a company with reasonable prices. Who hosts .dk domains at reasonable prices, I wonder?

Considering the registry charges 60 Kroner I don't think 120 Kroner from a registrar is unreasonable.

You can't use .com as a yardstick for ccTLD fees, especially for smaller countries. Small country registries wouldn't be able to exist if they charged .com prices. Not every ccTLD wants to be a "pretend GTLD" (like .tv or .cc), and for a small ccTLD serving a small community overheads per domain are much higher and this has to be reflected in what they charge. Compared with some small island ccTLDs .dk is quite cheap!

Thanks for setting me straight, Lubeca. You know, when quality is not really an issue (disregarding lousy registrars), you just want the cheapest deal in town. Or in this case, in the world. Still, I don't like paying $20/year just to enter once the DNS I need. To me it seems to be the old money-for-nothing scheme, and I'll none of it!

Well, how do you think registries pay their electricity bills, their wages, the rent on their office, etc etc etc? The money has got to come from somewhere.

When you go to a restaurant you accept that your bill pays for the running costs of the restaurant. Why should domain names be any different?

Okay, here's the thing - domain registration at Dandomain is advertised at DKK 49, but the actual cost for first-time registration is DKK 124 ($20). It is symptomatic of the fact that we Danes always pay approximately double price for everything. Say, if I want a couple of books from Amazon.co.uk, I cannot benefit from the free-P&P-within-the-UK offers; and in addition I need to pay 25% in VAT of the books' price + postage. We pay 25% VAT on everything, thus books and postage too. If I want an American-made guitar or amp - and I do! - it's double price again. And now we come to the really good part - our tax system. We pay 59% of all income exceeding DKK 310,000/year = $51,000/year.
    Last edited by cybahomie; 05-20-2005 at 11:29 AM.