Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

So now Bush can order deaths from space..?

Just when you thought people didn't want the world to get blown into pieces... this happens

SOURCE: http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/2851.html
    SOURCE: http://www.salon.com/news/feature/20.../index_np.html

SOURCE: And many other news medias...

================================
    Triggering a new arms race?

Bush is expected to give the Air Force the go-ahead to develop advanced space-based weapons.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    By Julian Borger

May 19, 2005 |

President Bush is expected to issue a directive in the next few weeks giving the U.S. Air Force a green light for the development of space weapons, potentially triggering a new global arms race, it was reported Wednesday. The new weapons being studied range from hunter-killer satellites to orbiting weapons using lasers, radio waves or even dense metal tubes dropped from space by weapons known as "rods from God" on ground targets.

A national security directive on space has been sought by the Air Force since last year. The New York Times Wednesday quoted a senior administration official as saying a decision is expected within weeks. Neither the Air Force nor the White House returned calls seeking comment.

The directive will replace a 1996 directive signed by Bill Clinton that was vaguely worded but that emphasized the peaceful use of space, in line with almost unanimous global opinion. Plans for potential space weapons were vetoed by the Clinton White House.
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / "Automate. Grow. Repeat"
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / A KEAP Certified Developer (KCD)
      0 Not allowed!

Looks like we need to get Bush out of office, quick.
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.
      0 Not allowed!

How about someone chucks a grenade at him? lol

Seriously:
    If you actually think about the idea logically it will cost too much to put it all in space in the first place so it wont be cost effective.
    Custom Cloud Solutions - innoix.com
      0 Not allowed!

When has the Bush administration even taken cost effectiveness into consideration?
      0 Not allowed!

The US has no protection from a Nuclear Attack, except the fact that we could completely demolish any nation that attacks us.

This would be the most logical option to help us, providing it can be put to use for that purpose.
      0 Not allowed!

it kinda seems smart...but i dont think bush has any plans on getting out of debt; or a surplus in any of his 8 years in service.
    All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.
      0 Not allowed!

How I see it... Better us develop it first before another country.
      0 Not allowed!

How I see it... how about no one develops it. How about stick to the Russian - USA pact to not re-start up any "Star Wars" based programs.. like we agreed upon.

We are trying to stop countries that are developing nuclear devices, so we go ahead and "get around" an agreement we signed.. to develop even worse weapons.. see the irony here??
      0 Not allowed!

Space is the only peaceful place we have left
    Haven't been on WHT for 6 years!
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by KimmiKat
    Looks like we need to get Bush out of office, quick.
    Guess you'll have to wait.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Martinez
    Guess you'll have to wait.
    And you think having this maniac in office is a good thing
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by mikeylove
    Probably not. He just loves to troll so much the topic doesn't matter.
    Have you ever seen an intelligent post from him? Ever?

I'd like a link to it just to prove there is some brain activity and he's not getting his mother to type for him.
      0 Not allowed!

Have you ever seen an intelligent post from him? Ever?
    I had previously noticed that. I just kept my flames to myself.

/me continues quietly hating martinez
      0 Not allowed!

I thought martinez was a bot written by adorno...

Seriously though, Bush is a hypocrite... If you wonder why Iran and North Korea are developing nuclear weapons, well now you have your answer. Rods of god? figures...
      0 Not allowed!

They seem very similiar at times.. atleast there is one less one. "Rods of Gods".. that is a perfect quote.
      0 Not allowed!

Compared to Kerry. You betcha. That's why I voted for Bush. No regrets.

/me continues quietly hating martinez
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Martinez; 05-19-2005 at 06:49 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

You know, I understand if some of you disagree with his policies but why does rhetoric always degenerate to calling people maniacs and joking about tossing grenades?

Do you ever think that perhaps the degeneration of political dialogue might have something to do with people unable to state strong political preferences without demonizing the opposition?

The merits of your opposition to a certain policy get completely lost when your only argument agains it is that "Bush is a maniac!" Oh really? Thank you for that measured and well-thought out opinion regarding weapons in space.
    Rich
    Husband, Father, Retired Marine, Geek
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by jasong
    Space is the only peaceful place we have left
    Perhaps true now, but the former Soviet Union armed at least one of their Salyut space stations with a cannon.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine
      0 Not allowed!

As opposed to the previous maniac that shot off missiles everytime the press was about to release another story on his escapades in order to divert attention? The same maniac that sent Janet Reno's storm troopers out to murder american's?
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine
      0 Not allowed!

Devildog, you dont get it. Some people believe Bush is a maniac. While I don't believe he's a maniac, I believe he looks out for his and his friends best intrests and not the American people. Why create more weapons? I rather see us get rid of weapons, not waste more money on them. War isn't helping the US.

Im mean look at the filibuster issue. The last time the filibuster was used against a judicial nominee ruling was by Frist himself to stop a Clinton nominee. Yet now he's saying he wants to change the way we vote. You didnt see democrats crying like Frist when they invoked their right to the filibuster. The conservatives who are far from being actual republicans are power hungry, and thats manic type behavior.

If you walked into someones home and they already a 100 hand guns and they told you they only needed a 100, and the cost of those handguns would mean their children dont get as good of an education and they're cancelling their there grandmothers prescriptions benefits more what would you think? I'd think maniac. Other people might think, he's excersizing his 2nd amendment right...
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by case
    Devildog, you dont get it. Some people believe Bush is a maniac. While I don't believe he's a maniac, I believe he looks out for his and his friends best intrests and not the American people. Why create more weapons? I rather see us get rid of weapons, not waste more money on them. War isn't helping the US.

Im mean look at the filibuster issue. The last time the filibuster was used against a judicial nominee ruling was by Frist himself to stop a Clinton nominee. Yet now he's saying he wants to change the way we vote. You didnt see democrats crying like Frist when they invoked their right to the filibuster. The conservatives who are far from being actual republicans are power hungry, and thats manic type behavior.

If you walked into someones home and they already a 100 hand guns and they told you they only needed a 100, and the cost of those handguns would mean their children dont get as good of an education and they're cancelling their there grandmothers prescriptions benefits more what would you think? I'd think maniac. Other people might think, he's excersizing his 2nd amendment right...
    A measured and respectful response. Thank you. I don't agree with your conclusions and your facts concerning the filibuster are innaccurate but at least you don't resort to name calling. Just seems like we get nowhere when we inflame people with labels instead of debating the facts of the issue. Name calling from either aisle of the political spectrum is reprehensible.
    Rich
      0 Not allowed!

The "dense metal tubes dropped from space by weapons known as 'rods from God' on ground targets" sounds like a weapon invented by an English major. Assuming that there is military value in dropping a heavy rod on a target, it could be done more accurately and stealthily from aircraft than from space. If it's dropped from orbit there are the problems of it hitting the atmosphere at 5 miles per second.
      0 Not allowed!

The fact is we get a big boost in technology when we make weapons. These weapons will need propulsion systems and new lighter materials. We stand to benefit greatly from any knowledge gained by making these weapons. Nuclear power ring a bell?
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by pixelized
    The fact is we get a big boost in technology when we make weapons. These weapons will need propulsion systems and new lighter materials. We stand to benefit greatly from any knowledge gained by making these weapons. Nuclear power ring a bell?
    I was thinking more of the integrated circuit chip that paved the way for affordable computers. That was invented as part of the Minuteman missile project.

Really, however, technology is not driven as much any more by military contracts as they once were to be fair. If the application is inherently wrong, I don't believe we should do it just for technology benefits.

In this case, I don't really have a problem with offensive space weapons. I think it is Pollyannish to speak of space as a bastion for peace. There have been weapons in space for years.
    Rich
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Disgruntled
    The "dense metal tubes dropped from space by weapons known as 'rods from God' on ground targets" sounds like a weapon invented by an English major. Assuming that there is military value in dropping a heavy rod on a target, it could be done more accurately and stealthily from aircraft than from space. If it's dropped from orbit there are the problems of it hitting the atmosphere at 5 miles per second.
    I'll second that comment; and even if they have all the aiming and steering under control, they might as well use aricraft to carry missiles instead... more fire power, more accuracy, more damage, much much much much much more cost effective...
    Warning: include('signature') [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in eval'd code on line 38
    Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'signature' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/php5/lib/php') in eval'd code on line 38
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast