Anyone here own a trash compactor in their kitchen?

I've always hated free standing garbage cans like most people have in their kitchens. Someday I would like to have a custom built in garbage can or maybe even a trash compactor. I can't decide.

Anyone here own a standard trash compactor in your kitchen like this:

http://www.nelsonsmall.com/custom23.jpg
    http://www.uniram.com/images/TRASH-COMPACTOR.gif

Are those things good or are they lousy? I saw one in the store the other day and noticed that trash compactors have such tiny tiny bins... I mean I would have to compact the trash at least 3 times a day or it would overfill with trash. That seems impractical to me. And what if I throw glass away... it would get crushed and poke holes through my bags. I don't know if these so called trash compactors are really all that great or are they?

I read they use 2,000-5,000 pounds of force when they compact... yikes. I hope they don't vibrate and aren't noisy?

We have one (at my parents house), and it is really nice. It is a little loud when compacting, but no more loud than a dishwasher during its loudest cycle.

You need to use special garbage bags for them, the bags are a little more expensive (and a lot thicker plastic).

We went from 4-6 bags of garbage every week, down to 1-2. I highly recommend them.

Also, the way the door is, it has a seal similar to your fridge, so it doesnt release any smell when its closed (VERY NICE).

Its actually not a bad idea. Except for i'm sure its quite expensive, loud.. and you really have that much trash!?!??!!?
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / We Filter out the Bad Leads and Send you the Good ones!
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / Automated Lead Funnel Service

How safe is the trash compactor? I mean, I would hope you can't accidentally set it to compact as you're throwing garbage away.

We have one. Absolutely love it. Ours is an older model and is not that loud, I'd say about half as loud as the Garbage Disposal
    Linux junkie | steward.io

Interesting, I see. Looks like it's a good thing. Right now I have a free standing garbage can that is literally twice as big as the bin of the trash compactor and I fill up my garbage can so much I have to change the bag twice a day or it overfills and I live by myself.

Looks like if I had the trash compactor I would be compacting the heck out of it at least 3 times a day because the bin is so small. Or maybe it would be good, I hate when I can't make up my mind :)

In my parents home they used to have a little door on the counter. When you opened up the door you threw trash in to it however that trash went directly into the city containers that the garbage men pick up. It wasn't a trash shoot it just opened up into the garbage can. It also came in handy a couple times when they locked their keys inside because when I was about 6-8 I was able to pull the trash can out and climb up with put my right on the counter of the kitchen. I always thought it was the coolest thing and havent seen anything like it since.

I have one similar to the first picture that you showed, except mine is a kitchen-aid [black] It is nice and gets teh job done. The only thing i'd say is, they selll it with bags saying the machine works only with those bags. We use normal trashbags, and it works quite well.

Ours has a charcoal air filter if it smells bad also.
    Robin Alex
    At your service....

I have one and would totally recommend it! Mine is not really that loud at all and cuts down on trash in a big way!

Originally posted by DanX
    How safe is the trash compactor? I mean, I would hope you can't accidentally set it to compact as you're throwing garbage away.
    They're very safe. The mechanism will not compact unless the drawer is closed.

I drew a simple picture of how they work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails trashcompactor.jpg  

Very nice drawing

I recommend just buying a goat and letting them eat all your garbage.

No seriously, when I was growing up my parents had one (a trash compactor) and it was great. I think I remember only having to change it out once per week. The only issue I see is the weight as I do remember that only my dad was strong enough to pull it out once it was full.

>> oh and one problem I do remember is the drive chain came off a lot once it got really full and getting close to time to change the bag. This might have just been because we waited to long to change it out and there was too much stress on it. This is going back 20 year ago so things are probably different.

Robert
    Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

trash can

lmao i would like to get a trash compactor in my kitchen, i get tired of taking the garbage out, im to lazy for that ****. i hate it when im done cooking or something and i get ready to throw something away and i gotta dirty my hands to take it out then come back inside, wash my hadns then by then my food is cold..haha

What do you think will happen if you put a cat in it?

Im just joking because I love cats.
    My Blog - www.Bakie.net
    My Entertainment site - www.SpudMud.com

Now what if you have glass bottles or two liter jugs? It just seems like I throw away too much stuff that would cause problems for it. Infact last week I threw out a hammer which the handle started to crack and I am sure would cause problems for this correct?

We put everything in ours, glass bottles just about anything that would fit. A hammer is not going to hurt unless it is standing straight up and down and that still might just crush it.. I would not put any aerosol cans in there in case it blows up when crushing.

Robert
    Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.