PayPal - Verify Location by Phone

What is this feature (Verify Location by Phone)? Is it new? I don't remember seeing it before.

Does anyone know when PayPal added this as a way to confirm location?

Toronto, Canada
    I remembered doing that a while back - last summer if i am not wrong. It lasted for a short while if i am not wrong

Hmmmmm...I'd never seen it before yesterday. It's an interesting feature.

I don't really understand how it confirms your location, though, although I did notice that it catches if you put in a cellphone number.

They must use the area code to verify the location. That is the only way i can think it could work.

Atlanta, GA
    hmmm, this is the first that I have heard of this. If it is indeed their means of verification I think it is stupid to say the least. Not only is it easy to make up a phone number, a large number of individuals don't use anything but a cell-phone these days.
    [color=#666666]Ackoo Solutions, LLC

I don't trust the validity of it since anybody can be anywhere with a cellphone. I think Varilogix is a better way to go if you want to verify orders. They have a pay per use plan.

7. I don't think it is to verify the location as such, but whether it is *you* using the account or not.

For example, when processing a payment the other day, they called up my phone to make sure I was the holder of the account. I like it.

I bet they get fooled by VOIP. I can get a phone number with an area code almost anywhere in the US to ring on my land line.

The fact that someone picked up the phone and verified that they placed an order will reduce fraud, at the expense of annoying customers. A lot of fraud orders come through with legitimate phone numbers of either the card holder or a randomly taken number from their billing area, so that reverse lookups don't turn up anything suspicious. I've even had the phone number of a local Pizza Hut entered in with a fraud order (came up on Google's phonebook search!).
    Dan Grossman - dan @
    My Blog | Affiliate Program for Web Hosts

Lansing, MI, USA
    Originally posted by makeke
    They must use the area code to verify the location. That is the only way i can think it could work.
    Not quite... I used a cell phone from another city to confirm my personal account...
    Jacob - WebOnce Technologies - 30 Day 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - Over 5 Years Going Strong!
    Website Hosting, PHP4&5, RoR, MySQL 5.0, Reseller Hosting, Development, and Designs