Bush Proposes Corps to Aid New Democracies

http://apnews.excite.com/article/200...D8A67MU00.html

May 19, 7:41 AM (ET)

By DEB RIECHMANN

WASHINGTON (AP) - President Bush, seeking to put muscle behind a promise to support young democracies, said Wednesday the administration is creating a special corps of federal workers that will deploy quickly to help foreign governments in crisis.

Citing the lengthy and difficult task of setting up the U.S.-run occupation government in Iraq after Saddam Hussein's ouster, Bush is proposing $100 million next year for a new conflict response fund and $24 million for a new Office of Reconstruction and Stabilization in the State Department. That office will coordinate U.S. government efforts to support emerging democracies, with the new Active Response Corps of foreign and civil service officers as a crucial tool, Bush said.

"This new corps will be on call - ready to get programs running on the ground in days and weeks instead of months and years," Bush said at a dinner hosted by the International Republican Institute, a federally funded group that promotes democracy worldwide. "If a crisis emerges and assistance is needed, the United States of America will be ready."

IMO,the US doesn't need "Nation building teams". We need to take care of the problems at home.

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

Another waste of money Mr. Bush. You make all these programs, and you forget to properly fund them all.

another sly way for Bush to try to control the whole world...

Correct me if i'm wrong, because I guess I just don't understand this. And this is targeted to conservatives.....

One of the major points about being a conservative is fiscal responsibility, correct? So that being said, all these new *HUGE* programs.. do you not think this is not fiscally responsible???

I just don't get it... all these programs are adding up to BILLIONS.. and a lot of these are for *other* countries. What about this country....? Has this government given up on us....
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / We Filter out the Bad Leads and Send you the Good ones!
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / Automated Lead Funnel Service

The Ministry of Peace Corps!

This is nothing new. We always send foreign aid over to our friends, this is just a way of helping our new friends. You'd think most "liberals" would be in support of helping budding democracies... sheesh. You'd think every American would.

Let me just put some perspective on this issue. This is not a Bush power grab but has been in the works for a number of years.

The problem with crises, whether they be Somalia, Kosovo, or Iraq is what is, in military terms, called Phase IV of an operation. Variously called Stability and Support Operations (SASO), Low Intensity Conflict (LIC), Peacekeeping, Nation Building, and a host of other names. The problem is who does the work of helping a country from chaos to country.

For a long time the idea in the military was that the State Department had the ball after we kicked in the door and got done breaking things but the problem is, increasingly, due to numbers of people, the military takes on these roles. Who does the UN turn to when it needs to do Nation Building - militaries of various countries - they have the people, comm, and logistics infrastructure to take on complex missions.

Problem is that the military is a blunt instrument and it is extremely difficult to train a 18 year old kid how to be a diplomat (much less teach them how to be civilized in computer forums).

Sometimes I wish that folks would take the time to educate themselves on issues. Not everything that is done is the result of evil motives. Intelligent people can disagree but the bottom line is that intelligent thought does go into these decisions and it deserves more than a cursory

"Oh look Dude, that evil guy Bush is just trying to take over the world again..."
    "Oh yeah, he's a frigging idiot"
    "Yeah"

Hypothetical - assuming some country, say Bosnia, needs good people to help them build a country since that is a good conflict after all. How do you propose doing this mission if there is not a Corps like this being proposed? Flame the idea all you want but to the informed it comes across as terribly misinformed about geopolitics and the complexities of nation building. Maybe if the right people get behind it then the sheep can fall in behind and say how good it is while still being completely ignorant of what it does.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

Originally posted by DevilDog
    Let me just put some perspective on this issue. This is not a Bush power grab but has been in the works for a number of years.

The problem with crises, whether they be Somalia, Kosovo, or Iraq is what is, in military terms, called Phase IV of an operation. Variously called Stability and Support Operations (SASO), Low Intensity Conflict (LIC), Peacekeeping, Nation Building, and a host of other names. The problem is who does the work of helping a country from chaos to country.

For a long time the idea in the military was that the State Department had the ball after we kicked in the door and got done breaking things but the problem is, increasingly, due to numbers of people, the military takes on these roles. Who does the UN turn to when it needs to do Nation Building - militaries of various countries - they have the people, comm, and logistics infrastructure to take on complex missions.

Problem is that the military is a blunt instrument and it is extremely difficult to train a 18 year old kid how to be a diplomat (much less teach them how to be civilized in computer forums).

Sometimes I wish that folks would take the time to educate themselves on issues. Not everything that is done is the result of evil motives. Intelligent people can disagree but the bottom line is that intelligent thought does go into these decisions and it deserves more than a cursory

"Oh look Dude, that evil guy Bush is just trying to take over the world again..."
    "Oh yeah, he's a frigging idiot"
    "Yeah"

Hypothetical - assuming some country, say Bosnia, needs good people to help them build a country since that is a good conflict after all. How do you propose doing this mission if there is not a Corps like this being proposed? Flame the idea all you want but to the informed it comes across as terribly misinformed about geopolitics and the complexities of nation building. Maybe if the right people get behind it then the sheep can fall in behind and say how good it is while still being completely ignorant of what it does.
    I understand what you're saying, its not much different then what you said in another post. Americans would like to see these billions of dollars invested back into the country, not other countries. This is were the problem lies. Were in a deficit and were spending money to make sure other countries have health care, education and so forth.

Im all for helping other countries, I have no problem with it but we need to help ourselves first and foremost. How many kids cant read? How many elderly are living paycheck to paycheck because of prescription drug benefits? You wouldn't even believe how many mentally ill people I see eating out trashcans here in downtown Los Angeles. I know alot of people think homelessness maybe drug related or irresponsibility and some of it is, but I've seen hundreds, if not thousands of people down here in this concrete jungle just trying to survive. It doesn't stop there either because many people are only one paycheck away from eating out of a trashcan themselves.

As selfish as it may sound, Americans need to be talking care of Americans with that American tax money. Whats left over, then we help people.

The fact that Bush doesnt understand this concept discourages people from saying anything good about him. We want to to spend 82 more billion dollars on war, 3 trillion on a social security system thats solvent, a 100 million to this new government organization, or that government organization.

He's being irresponsible with our money, bottom line. Hopefully we wont have to build anymore nations before we get ours straightened out if we ever do, but apparently he has other plans in mind just like he did when he lied about the Iraq war.
    \

I don't mind your argument about spending priorities. That's a valid argument about how to spend limited resources. I'm responding primarily to those who don't see beyond a blind hatred and, without even educating themselves on the issue, presume to think the whole idea is a naked power grab. If anything the creation of the Corps puts less trigger pullers out there doing this stuff than more.

I hear what you're saying about spending domestically. I don't believe the problems that you speak of are resource issues fundamentally but you're entitled to your opinion. I just don't see anybody else stepping up to the plate to resource the kinds of things that America does. Even the French depend upon our military lift when they need to help out their fellow man. I just can't see us retreating from that when the UN puts the Sudan on the commission for human rights.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

10. Most people must hate bush by now

Originally posted by HostingRealm
    Most people must hate bush by now
    If they do then he brought it upon himself. I do not speak for everyone and I know we have some members here that adorno I mean adore Bush. I can totally respect what Devil is trying to say though. If you're going to argue a point, then argue it. If you have come her to bash the president go somewhere else. I've made it very clear to many that I dont like the president but I explain my opinions.

It kind of reminds me of all the Bill Gates haters, they have this blind hate for him yet never explain why. It turns out most of them are just douche bags who are saying it to fit in or because they read other people saying it.

It's just hard from my perspective because I live and work in the second largest city in America, not to mention the most largest populated county in the US which has far more people then NYC could ever imagine. Take for instance I know a man can eat fresh food for a buck or two a day. 1 dollar will get him a couple top ramens, two dollars will get him four tacos. I also know these people arent Lazy, imagine pushing a shopping cart around all day in hot sun then sleeping on concrete at night with one eye open so your last material possession or cans that you picked up to recycle dont get stolen. They mesh the drug users with the mentally ill in many cases which is complete ******** because a drug problem is a much different problem then schizophrenia and should be handled different in a different environment.

My friends mom... shes a teacher, an honorable profession, yet she gets paid ****. Lives in a small two bedroom apartment. Spends her own damn money on school supplies because the district cant budget properly or never has enough money. To top it off she has kids who have been passed on to her that arent up to par. Then other kids lose out on their education because she has to juggle a class of kids who are up to par yet still be fair to the entire class.

My grandmother whos dying has to sometimes skip a or halves a pill to make sure she has it the next day. She makes to much money from disability to qualify for medical benefits, how do you like that. It's pathetic. Taking care of the elderly should be a priority but its not.

These are the reason that personally effect me and why I feel so strongly about spending money hear in the states. I know we spend alot of taxpayer dollars at home but its not enough obviously. Im so sick of hearing about weapons and funding wars. Bush is paying private security guards 60k a year to go to Iraq. The average soldier is making 13-14k, and some of them werent even getting hazardous duty pay. Halliburton just recieved a 72 million dollar bonus for good work in Iraq. Thats almost as much as it will cost to fund this little stupid project of his. I just dont understand... Americans need to get together and find out why were spending all this money on r&d weapons when we should be spending it on ourselves.

You want to get rid of enemies, then make friends with people by doing the right thing. Thats how I see it. I have had some big beefs in my life and As I've matured I've found out that they can usually be overcome by talking, being real, and trying to befriend.