will norton antivirus 2005 work on server?

We are running the windows 2003 standard edition on our windows server. Will norton antivirus 2005 version work on it. I have one more license.

I think it is regular version.

Thanks.
    if not, what is best. anything fee out there that is good?
    this is a web server used for hosting etc.

Thanks
    PCGEEK

Im pretty sure that it the installer will say its not allowed, or operating system not supported, even though in theory if it works on other NTFS Windows platform it should work technically work.
    MattF - Since the start..

They require you to buy corporate edition for it to work on server versions of windows, of course a great marketings, as Norton Antivirus is standard personal non professional edition product from what I remember :-)

It should work but Norton likes blocking a lot of ports so make sure that you unblock the ones that you need.
    My Blog - www.Bakie.net
    My Entertainment site - www.SpudMud.com

It will not work on a server OS, you'll need Symantec Antivirus corporate/server edition.

AFAIK all antivirus software for server OS's costs, there's no freebies out there.

Dan

There is: clamwin.net

It's based on the opensource clamav signatures and engine. It's pretty good with detection actually and doesn't have a high overhead.
    Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts!
    http://www.sprintserve.net
    Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting |
    Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management |

Originally posted by sprintserve
    There is: clamwin.net

It's based on the opensource clamav signatures and engine. It's pretty good with detection actually and doesn't have a high overhead.
    you beat me to it, I use clamwin on a few test servers, W2k, and Win 2003 server and it works fine. But other than that there is no free ride for Antivirus.

I have used it on W2K3 Standard, Web, Enterprise, all without issues. It's not as advanced cleaning files but it can quarantine infected files. It also isn't a realtime scanner. You have to run the program to scan your files.

so if you need those features, you have to pay.
    Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts!
    http://www.sprintserve.net
    Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting |
    Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management |